PDA

View Full Version : citalopram 20mg and cant stop eating

Beckie4567
06-07-16, 20:41
I'm finding lately I'm always wanting to eat meaning in putting bit of weight which I don't want to does anyone else get this ?

Mojo61
06-07-16, 20:43
Did you lose your appetite initially when the anxiety started Becky? I've heard that as we become more relaxed our appetite returns and we rediscover our love of food again. My appetite is dreadful, I can go days without eating, I just don't feel hungry anymore.

pollynewsome
06-07-16, 21:03
Omg! I thought it was just me. I have put almost a stone on in 3 months. I can not fill.. absolutely fed up with feeling so hungry.. told doc and she didn't think it was related to cit! I told her I wasn't like this before. So angry cos I don't have the willpower to stop myself. X

Beckie4567
06-07-16, 21:12
I no what u mean polly !!! Just cant stop I'm bridesmaid in Sept and don't want to put weight on .yes I lost my appetite at first but now its the opposite I'm eating even tho I don't need to eat �� horrible ate u guys on 20 I no its working for me from what I was having abit of a dip at mo �� x

KeeKee
06-07-16, 21:25
I have gained weight on three different antidepressants (one was Cit although I only gained around 3lbs before I switched). Not one of them increased my appetite. I know you are saying you have an increased appetite but I genuinely believe antidepressants have the power to cause weight gain even without eating more. My GP told me there is no guarantee any single antidepressant won't cause weight gain as ultimately this was the reason I stopped taking them.

Beckie4567
06-07-16, 22:04
I am eating lots more tho its not as if I'm not eating and gaining weight.im eating wen I don't need to

KeeKee
06-07-16, 22:30
Yep antidepressants can cause an increase in appetite for some people, it's quite common. That's one theory as to why antidepressants can cause weight gain. Unfortunately I have no idea how to work around that. The good thing is though as you are eating more, if you could somehow get it under control and lose the weight then you wouldn't need to be one of those people who has to sacrifice their figure in order to feel better mentally. I gained over 30lbs on various antidepressants (definitely didn't increase my appetite) so I know all too well how disheartening it can be.

Beckie4567
07-07-16, 08:38
Do u mean u put on weight without eating more ?

KeeKee
07-07-16, 10:16
Yep i put on weight without eating more my GP even witnessed this (well not as such but I had regular appointments during this time). I also dropped 18lbs last year whilst stuffing my face and sitting on my backside. There is definitely something in antidepressants that causes weight gain. Some people do say they had increase appetite though however I definitely didn't. I can understand how stressful it must be because the urge to eat is unbearable. That's how I get when I'm really down just want to purge even though I'm not hungry

sollythegolly
07-07-16, 10:17
Have you tried drinking a large glass of water whenever you feel the urge to eat? Sometimes the feelings of hunger can be confused with those of dehydration. The large glass of water will fill the stomach and reduce the hunger pangs. Well, it worked for me. Give it a whirl, what can you lose?

KeeKee
07-07-16, 10:37
Have you tried drinking a large glass of water whenever you feel the urge to eat? Sometimes the feelings of hunger can be confused with those of dehydration. The large glass of water will fill the stomach and reduce the hunger pangs. Well, it worked for me. Give it a whirl, what can you lose?

I think her issue is that she has an urge to eat even when she isn't hungry.
I'm not sure if water would help with that. Worth a try though of course.

sollythegolly
07-07-16, 11:18
Yep. That's how it was with me. Just an urge to eat. So, every time I felt that urge, I got myself a large glass of water and drank that instead.

Beckie4567
07-07-16, 23:11
I will def try that thankyou solly ��

pollynewsome
08-07-16, 20:10
Well ive tried the water but not working for me..Today so far i have eaten 1. a bowl of bran flakes 2. 2 pears 3. jacket potato with butter and cheese 4. 2 custard creams 5. 2 rich tea biscuits 6. a fish butty/teacake 7. 6 milk tray chocolates 8. packet of plain crisps 9. cottage pie with veg 10. mars bar and now i have just sat down with a box of pringles.. its ridiculous and greedy but i am starving:( xx

Suziewuzie
08-07-16, 21:02
My appetite is off the scale since I started on this :scared15: I think about food almost all the time, it's crazy. I know I have control over my eating so I.l don't let it worry me too much but if I wasn't so scared of piling weight on I would happily sit and eat aaaaallll day!

Beckie4567
09-07-16, 07:25
At least I no its not just me I guess I've gota just tell myself look I'm not hungry I've just eaten.

varucasalt
09-07-16, 07:30
yes, I gained 40 pounds on it. And then lost 60lbs just going for walks and eating only veggies if I get snackish.

Beckie4567
09-07-16, 08:58
Yes thankyou guna try and not snack and eat healthy and that

KeeKee
09-07-16, 10:58
Could you not try Slimming World? It basically isn't a 'diet' but eating healthily. On it you never need to go hungry. If you are able to stick to eating certain foods and it's just the amount that is effecting you I'd say give it a go.

You can eat things such as rice, pasta (preferably brown) and potatoes in infinite amounts, along with baked beans and most fruit and veg. You can also eat unlimited amounts of chicken and i believe all other fresh meats providing all visible fat is cut away. You can also have 200 calories worth of anything you like each day. There are also some other things you can eat such as Mug Shots (the less than 1% fat ones) and natural plain yoghurt ad much as you like. You definitely do not go hungry on this and if you have gained weight due to your increase in appetite you will lose weight on this.

Beckie4567
09-07-16, 15:26
Thankyou keekee for your advice

Mojo61
11-07-16, 17:28
Oh blimey I think it's happening to me too now! I've lost over 2st in weight since November and my appetite had completely disappeared. Now it seems to be back with a vengeance, I don't want to put all that weight back on again!

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

So far today I've eaten; an apple, half a packet of mussels, a ham salad sandwich, a punnet of cherries, a laughing cow cheese triangle and a satsuma. And that's all before dinner! :ohmy:

pollynewsome
11-07-16, 19:15
Least what your eating is still good for you.. im eating so much rubbish its ridiculous..i just bought 3 mini cheesecakes one for each day, but guess what everyone gone in one sitting:(

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Best part of it all is that i do attend slimming world. i got to my goal weight at christmas which was 10st 2.. i was 14st 1 but as of today i am 11st3!! my slimming consultant is like come on get a grip and i say yes and then each week i go.. ive gained 2/3 pounds.. HELP!

Mojo61
11-07-16, 19:24
If I don't keep fattening food in the house I can't be tempted to eat it lol. Cheese is my downfall - love the stuff!

Beckie4567
11-07-16, 22:59
I'm going to try and cut down o just hope I don't continue to gain wait wen om not eating link food.i hope I've gained because i have eaten alot lately not because of the meds wen I first started then I lost my appetite completely and lost weight that was great this us awful ��

Beckie4567
13-07-16, 20:29
I'm guna have to monitor my weight now so depressing I'f I'm still gaining weight cutting food down ill have to cut my citalopram down to 10 again as I wasn't putting on weight with that

Beckie4567
18-07-16, 23:09
:(

Beckie4567
09-11-16, 22:51
Omg I've put on so much weight :( that's depressing now

Beckie4567
13-03-18, 18:16
I am bumping this up as I am considering taking a suppressant aand wondered if I can with citalopram or how have people lost the weight ?

Lulu1960
13-03-18, 21:22
Not if you keep eating all those carbs ..you ain't going to loose weight..celexa does not cause we get gain..it just causes you to crave carbohydrates...