PDA

View Full Version : Fractured hips. Am I overreacting here?

KCJ506
07-07-16, 04:39
Hi everyone. A couple weeks ago I had to have surgery because somehow both of my hips ended up being broken. The doctors said that they only saw something like this to people that have been hit by cars. But that didn't happen to me nor did I fall or anything. A couple days beforehand I was fine most of the day and took a little nap and when I woke up just a half hour later, my right side was hurting, but I never thought of it as my hip being broken. I went to sleep later on and the next morning by left side was hurting as well and I could barely move.

I was in the hospital for about four days after the surgery. The doctors suspect I could have osteoporosis because my bones were pretty brittle. Which confuses them since it's very uncommon for someone my age(32) to get that. I'm currently in a rehab facility and I had a follow up with the surgeon a couple days ago and the X-rays came out good. They took the staples out of my hips, though they said for about six weeks not to put any weight on my right hip(since that one was in worse shape) and only as much as I can tolerate on my left hip.

Even though I got good news that day, I made the mistake of googling and came to find out that some people that fracture their hips ending up passing away about a year later. Should I be concerned?

andysa
07-07-16, 06:44
Mate, I would not really worry about what you found on the internet as I would assume that that the majority of people that present with hip fractures are advanced in age i.e in their 80's and 90's so the reason that they pass has more to do with their age compounded by their immobility due to hip fracture.