PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the panic again; are these symptoms?

Greg316
07-07-16, 16:53
Hello everyone,

Sorry to be back here again, but thankful for the support. I suffered panic attacks several years ago and was able to conquer them, but unfortunately an aggressive cancer diagnosis in a family member has caused my stress and the ensuing anxiety to crest.

I've been having crushing headaches in the temple area the last few weeks since the diagnosis, as well as near constant derealization and "shock". I stopped neglecting my spiritual life, and took some time and dealt with my issues, and managed to overcome the derealization, shock and headaches, but recently I've started having a really thick feeling below my adam's apple that comes and goes. It's hard to swallow sometimes, but other times I forget it's even there. It feels thick and mucousy with a lmp, but goes completely away from time to time, before coming back. Has anyone heard of any throat related anxiety symptoms?

Bearinmind
07-07-16, 19:48
The headaches, shock and derealization are classic symptoms for shock-type stress, which is pretty obvious what is the cause in your situation.

The thick, mucky feeling in the throat is not classic from the anxiety per se, but is pretty common under great stress. Stress makes inflammation response stronger, which can make any allergy you might have even stronger. People suffering from bronchitis or asthma know this fact pretty well: they start to get very strong asthma attacks when they are under stressful situations. To me, you seem to be in a similar case, the stress from this situation is flaring up your allergy response. You throat/bronchus get irritated, which causes the mucky sensation that comes and go as they're only an allergy response, not a true inflammation, so it only comes when you expose yourself to the allergen. Comes and goes.