PDA

View Full Version : Can HA be overcome?

DisgracedAngel
08-07-16, 08:02
I am really tired (physically and mentally) about my health anxiety.

I've always been a bit of a hypochondriac but it's like since I turned 30 last year it went into overdrive. I've seen the doctor more times than I'd like to admit, although I am getting tests done for female issues. I can sit here and say it's nothing serious yet somehow I can still be convinced that it is. Like others here, I've had tumours and various cancers (in my mind).

My latest has been the last two days I stupidly looked up the symptoms for HIV/Aids and convinced myself that my stupidity ten years ago in my young and dumb days has caught up with me all because of a sudden white coated tongue. Too terrified to get a test, been married for only three months and scared of what would happen if anything was positive. I've not eaten or slept the past 24 hours because of this fear! Now my stomach feels funny, which can be another symptom, and it's just a really, really bad cycle I cannot seem to get out of.

My issue, other than the above, is that this time last week, I was happier, because this didn't even cross my mind. How do you resist staying away from Google?!

blackbroom
08-07-16, 21:57
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. As I'm sure your logical brain knows, the funny stomach is far more likely to be a symptom of your anxiety than of AIDS and many, many harmless or minor things can cause a white-coated tongue.

Yes, HA can be overcome or, at least, managed. I'm having a little bit of a relapse at the moment, because of events in my life, but before that my HA was pretty much under control for about 2 years. Things that have helped me have included:

- counselling (and it does sound as though turning 30 and/or getting married have been triggers for your HA, so it may be a good idea to work through the issues around these with a trained counsellor)
- keeping a diary of the things I am worried about. On good days, the very ritual of writing my fear down is a substitute for actually worrying about it. On bad days, even though writing the worry down doesn't stop me worrying about it, it still helps a bit and it's reassuring to look back at previous days'/weeks'/months' entries and reminding myself that none of the previous things I worried about actually happened.
- if I can't stop myself Googling/seeking reassurance, I at least try to make myself wait before I do it. When my anxiety is really bad, I will make myself wait half an hour before googling/seeking reassurance, then over the following weeks I will gradually try to extend the time period I wait to an hour, two hours, until after the next meal, until the next day etc
- finding distraction activities that stop me thinking about my health, whether that's reading an unputdownable book, doing exercise, household chores etc

But different things help for different people. Really hope you get out of the bad cycle soon, but it can be done!

countrygirl
08-07-16, 22:17
I would say managed rather than cured for the majority of sufferers but there are some who find therapy very successful.

My worst times were from mid 20's to mid 40's and then age and experience seem to have helped me.