PDA

View Full Version : BP How Low is Too Low

Southern_Belle
18-03-07, 18:41
Hi,

I recently went to my hematologist who I see for anemia and they took my blood pressure, which normally runs on the low side, but it was 65/50 which even for me is low. I had a headache and was very tired but other than that felt okay. I also have hypothyroid problems so I am used to feeling tired and with the anemia I didn't give it another thought. I also get alot of headaches and migraines. They immediately hooked me up to an IV bag for 2 hours and got it back up to a reasonable amount so that I could drive home and stated they did not know how I had driven there in the first place.

My normal blood pressure is usually low 90s over 70's. I do not exercise right now due to a frozen shoulder. When I did exercise it was even lower.

They suggested I purchase a blood pressure cuff, which I did, and take my blood pressure 3 times before I drive. I want to know how low is too low for blood pressure and is there a way to raise it? I see my doctor in a month but thought I could just go on and ask you. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.

Laura :flowers:

mirry
18-03-07, 20:44
my blood pressure get really low sometimes, I had a 70/50 and i felt terrible.

My doctor said the only way to raise it was to put on weight and eat rubbish....which i have done but it still drops low ?

SamJay
19-03-07, 04:30
Hi There,
I have low blood pressure too and went to see the Dr last Friday due to my frequent migraines. At the time, they tested my blood pressure and as per usual it was low.
I asked if this could possibly be a reason for my almost constant dizziness...didn't seem to get an answer on that one.
I then asked if there was anything I could do to help raise it and was advised to put about 1/2 a teaspoon of salt (sea salt rather than table salt) into a glass and dissolve it with a little warm water, topping it off with cooler water to drink it...everyday.
This does mean that you must increase your water intake for the day. I've been doing it now since Friday and will see how it works over the next few weeks.
Take care,
Sam

Cindy
19-03-07, 14:32
Hi all I was feeling a lot dizzy and tired lately so I had My blood pressure checked and it was like 90/50 and then had it done again and it was 100/60 and I went to my doc and it was normal I had told him about the low blood pressure and he suggested salt as well I really hate feeling like this.Is this reall unhealthy or wat??? please I am really confused

RLR
19-03-07, 17:03
Well, the main reason for such low readings is a combination of the anemia and blood pressure previously in the lower range, either from hypothyroidism or other manifestation. Blood pressure is maintained by constriction of vessel walls and mechanical volume complimented by viscosity. In the case of anemia, you have less thickness of blood and consequently, less volume. You have to realize that the body only contains a finite amount of blood within the same cavernous system and although the body can do several things to compensate for low pressure, there is a threshold. If you happen to also be slightly dehydrated, it can effect hypotension even more.

The thing to remember with hypotension is whether you are experiencing symptoms, ie dizziness, weakness, light-headedness, etc. and certainly a diastolic less than 60 is a good marker.

Now that we've addressed a couple of basic questions, it might be wise to place this in the proper context. I note that you're seeing a hematologist for anemia. If you don't mind responding, please tell me if this is for ongoing treatment of any sort, or whether it is for investigation of the anemia.

Best regards and Good Health

RLR
20-03-07, 23:37
your response was fine and the inquiry was merely to confirm that you are under care for an ongoing anemia rather than investigation of anemia for the first time.

You'll merely have to keep a general watch on your hemodynamics and I'm sure that the hematologist has discussed this with you. You'll be fine.