PDA

View Full Version : Stomach issues causing anxiety

Greg316
08-07-16, 22:07
Does anyone have excess stomach acid or pains in the stomach that actually trigger your anxiety? It seems that whenever I have a panic attack (excuse the graphic illustration) but I throw up pure acid, and pass extremely acidic movements through the other end.

When I'm not having a panic attack; but instead just a feeling of generalized anxiety; I often have a very hot feeling in my stomach with very "hot" burps. When my stomach feels fine, I feel fine. I'm thinking of starting a probiotic; has anyone had good luck with those?

Bearinmind
09-07-16, 16:31
It can. Anxiety can cause digestive issues... and digestive issues can trigger more anxiety. It's a frigging snowball.

Near the stomach and esophagus there's a big nerve called Vagus Nerve. It has many functions but one of these is to control the relationship between heart rate and digestion. Sometimes your digestion is not going well, like you have acid reflux or something like that, and that messes with your vagus nerve which can cause some anxiety and a benign tachycardia.

Try to stay calm and control your gastric symptoms by taking note of your meals. Probiotics can help, like yougurt and fermeted milk, but be sure to munch down on salads as well, they help a lot on digestion.

dizzy daisy
09-07-16, 16:44
Yes if I'm stressed I get horrible acid reflux. It's nasty. It freaks me out and that causes more anxiety. You're not alone x