PDA

View Full Version : ASMR for anxiety relief.

Danath
09-07-16, 17:34
Hi all,

Just thought i'd share with you all something I recently discovered call Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response that i've been trying to use to calm myself down during this hideously anxious time in my life, and it is helping a surprising amount, so I thought i'd share so you can see if it helps you too.

It's a sensation i've been familiar with all my life, when I hear certain sounds, or certain people's voices (usually soft, gentle(preferably European) female voices) I get a pleasant tingle sensation in the top of my head and the back of my neck and I start to feel relaxed. Had this all my life, a nice old lady who was a tutor at college put me to sleep once and thought i had dropped off because I was bored, bless her. I didn't know it was a thing, thought it was just me, and so did most people until the last several years it seems, look it up on Wikipedia for the full extensive info on the topic, it seems ASMR ties in with meditation too.

If you type in 'ASMR relaxation' or 'ASMR for anxiety' on youtube it'll come up with a fair number of results, but I suggest checking it out on wikipedia first (theres a video on wikipedia too) so you know a bit more about it and what to look for.

Now don't be disheartened if it doesn't work for you, some of the videos I've looked at don't elicit the response from me, where others do, so find one that you like, some of the creators of the videos are better at it than others. Also don't be concerned if the person is speaking in a language you don't understand (the one on wikipedia is in French) it's not about what the person is saying it's about the sounds. It's best done in a quiet place as well where you can just concentrate on the sounds and not be distracted by other things around you.

Some people may be immune to this response, my GF is apprently, though i've seen a video that talks about overcoming this immunity but I didn't watch it so I don't know anything about that I'm afraid.

Anyway, look it up and give ASMR a try! I like it and it helps me relax, so it might just do the same for you!

Dan

Beckybecks
09-07-16, 17:44
Thank you. I'm going to look it up. Always looking for new ways to beat the anxiety monster .

Danath
09-07-16, 18:18
Hope it works for you :)

Shazamataz
09-07-16, 21:41
I will look it up too.

What you describe sounds similar to the lovely sensation I used to enjoy when someone brushed my hair. Unfortunately I haven't got the dogs trained to do it for me!

Danath
10-07-16, 00:16
Funny you should say that Shazamataz, a lot of the videos revolve around hair brushing, and I used to like it when my mother checked my head for lice when I was a child, just realised earlier that ASMR was the feeling it evoked.

Shazamataz
10-07-16, 01:33
I will definitely look into it then :)

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-16, 04:31
There was another thread about this not long ago. It may have some useful information in:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=182535&highlight=asmr

Danath
10-07-16, 20:49
Thanks Terry, I just saw some of the other threads via google :)