PDA

View Full Version : Tips for avoiding Dr Google

Mojo61
09-07-16, 20:26
Hey guys,

When you get that overwhelming urge to research your symptoms on google how do you stop yourself?

Lockey1995
09-07-16, 20:45
Recently I've been blocking websites using a chrome app but as far as I'm aware you can't block searches :( if you could it would be great

Shazamataz
09-07-16, 21:29
It's hard but just say 'No' to yourself. I've managed a week without Googling venlafaxine, for instance, as I know it will freak me out and I'm already so anxious which I think the ven has made a bit worse, though I know that's normal.

Mojo61
09-07-16, 21:50
I've got to have a "female abdominal" ultrasound scan and I'm trying my hardest not to google what they might find :scared15:

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-16, 05:54
Have a read of this:

http://psychology.tools/avoidance.html

Although avoidance is a natural mechanism for coping with many kinds of pain or trauma it also serves to maintain a wide range of psychological problems. In the short term avoidance can lead to the (reinforcing) reward of a reduction in real or imagined anxiety - this is the motivator for its use as a coping strategy. In the long term, though, avoidance can act to prevent the disconfirmation of unhelpful beliefs. Further, the use of avoidance as a coping strategy can lead to further unintended negative consequences.

So, the answer is NOT avoiding Dr Google. We all do this kind of thing early on so I has it's place but long term avoidance never works.

This is a useful one in changing Safety Behaviours to Adaptive Behaviours:

http://psychology.tools/safety-behaviors-worksheet.html

What is the difference between a safety behavior and adaptive behavior? Just by looking at the behavior itself, there is no way of telling the difference between an unhelpful safety behavior and a helpful adaptive behavior. It is the intention which matters - safety behaviors are those which are intended to avert a feared catastrophe. For example, if the strategy of distraction is used to cope with a painful experience (e.g. a visit to the dentist) we say it is helpful. However, if distraction is used with the intention of preventing a catastrophe (e.g. to avoid a feeling of panic that I fear will make me go mad) then it can be viewed as an unhelpful safety behavior

Happydaze*
10-07-16, 10:07
My hubby had to put a block on my phone a few years back when I was really bad. He blocked every single medical word u can imagine so I could still Google but nothing health related. He even blocked the word symptoms! iv started going down that route again so he will probably have to do that again. It's not always the answer for everyone, blocking your Internet but at the time it was the only way for me because mine becomes an addition!

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 11:36
I've actually been trying to find out how to block things on my phone because I am getting ridiculous. I can't eat or sleep because Dr Google tells me my days are limited. It's taking over my life in a bad way :-/

Nicole201017
10-07-16, 14:03
I am the absolute worse for DR effing Google!!!! How do I block this stuff from my iPhone??? It's recently gotten really really bad everyday I'm googling a new condition illness disease whatever I want it to be that day well not want but you know what I mean! I HATE HEALTH ANXIETY!!!!! I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I want to know does everyone that has HA think that everyday your literally dying sitting around in a daze alive but not actually living? Because that's me! I find reassurance in finding that I'm not the only one feeling like this!

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 14:08
Yes Nicole, that's me. I've said on a previous post that I am merely "existing" and not "living". Google has been horrible for me. I've done well today but for a few days I'll obsess over one condition and even though I have one symptom out of many Google lists, I'll still convince myself I'm a goner. I'm currently scared to death thanks to looking up on Google. I know I need help (for the HA)!

Fishmanpa
10-07-16, 15:00
Google really is a great tool. Before Google it was Yahoo and Ask Jeeves (anyone remember?). I use it for so many things from recipes to shopping to finding general info. That being said, Googling symptoms is so detrimental to HA sufferers. Another aspect of Google is that it remembers previous searches (cookies etc.) and will show you results based on the sites you click on. So you'll end up searching stuffy nose and end up getting sinus cancer as a result of a previous cancer search and you'll see ads come up that pertain to searches.

It's not so much avoiding Google all together as it is not going to the sites that increase your anxiety. I've previously suggested, using parental controls or apps that will block certain sites and prohibit certain key word searches. Get a friend or loved one to input the sites and password protect it so you can get to the sites that cause you anxiety.

Positive thoughts