PDA

View Full Version : New member

Steve43
10-07-16, 00:11
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, although have seen the website before when searching for answers 😄.

I'm 43 and have struggled with anxiety since my early 20s. I've been on and off medication for much of the past 20 years. I'm currently on 80mgs daily of propanolol and on week 2 of dropping SSRIs (Paroxetine), but have tried most of the SSRIs over the last 7 years.

I'm currently really struggling with withdrawal symptoms from the SSRIs, in particular, tiredness, upset stomach, feeling emotional for no reasons and dizziness / the dreaded brain zaps - which are hellish.

I'll be damned however if I'm going back on the SSRIs again though (because of their side effects). I'll stick with the propranolol.

I would really love to hear from members as to their experience of dealing with dizziness, brain zaps and coping mechanisms, as I'm really struggling with the symptoms.

Much love.

Steve

venusbluejeans
10-07-16, 00:19
Hiya Steve43 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
11-07-16, 16:48
Good morning Steve43. A number of years ago I decided to quit Paroxetine on my own "cold turkey". I had taken it for a number of years to fight my panic disorder, but hated the way it made me feel so robotic. I remember the biggest problem I had coming off paroxetine was the emotional swings. I'd get angry or cry at the drop of a hat, for someone who showed no emotion for so long, it took a while to get used to it.

The good news is I'm enjoying my emotions again. It hasn't been a smooth road to finding myself again, but with the help of new medications (Flouxetine & Buspirone) and a number of lifestyle changes (quit smoking, eating better, mediation). Things are not perfect just a whole lot better than being an emotionless robot.

Steve43 the thing to hold on to is believing things will get better. So be patient, informed, and keep the drive to be better. Best to you on your journey.

HalfJack
13-07-16, 02:00
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I've got widthdrawals too, with similar symptoms, no fun.
Stuck at home for the second day running, taking it easy and getting house work done. I'm eating a lot of fruit and veg, drinking a lot of water and only eating when I'm hungry.

I'm near the end now, should only have a few days of this left. Remember it's temporary. Good luck, hope you're feeling better.

Noivous
13-07-16, 02:19
Hey Steve - You can do it man. I did and haven't regretted it. For me it was the right decision. It will take a little time (not a long time though) but things will calm down. Hang in there.

N.

Vanilla Sky
15-07-16, 12:29
Hi and welcome to NMP :)