PDA

View Full Version : Breast pain - please help :( :(

carabijoux
10-07-16, 12:04
Hi all,

I hope everyone is as well as can be.

I've gotten myself into such a state over breast pain / heat sensations.

I finished my cycle last week, and since then I've been noticing odd little pains across both my boobs, and I'm terrified it's a sign that something is wrong. (When I say 'pain', it's more like a sensation - not pain as in burning pain, it's just a flash that last a second, and it's gone).

The weirdest thing is though - I'm not sure whether this is something new, or I've always had these sensations and just never really taken any notice of them before. As a girl with an ample-sized chest, any little pains I've had before I've just put down to muscular / strain etc.

So now I'm in this state of pure fear - but not even knowing whether it's something I've always experienced, and just never thought anything of.

I'm also so sure that I'm focusing so intently on waiting for any kind of sensation, that I've started imagining them. Or at least - intensifying what I'd normally class as just a bodily 'feeling' as actual pain.

Please could someone offer me a sense of perspective? I feel like I'm losing my mind. Every time I feel even the slightest twinge, I get a shot of adrenaline up my back and feel the panic closing in.

I've checked for any obvious things that could be wrong, and found nothing - no changes that I can see / feel.

Do other ladies experience odd breast pains / sensations?

I feel like I'm going crazy...potentially over something that is just part of everyday life, that I've just never noticed before :(

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any words of comfort / perspective.

C xo

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 12:55
Yes! Same here! Random pains in various parts of both breasts. I have large, lumpy breasts and the lumps seemed to change almost daily. Needless to say I was convinced of the worst.

But my mother has the same thing. She actually has fibrocystic breasts and it can be genetic. I had a breasts exam by my GP who said he actually doesn't suspect anything, but I was being referred to the breast clinic anyways because of family history, so they can see how my breasts look now normally, with possible fibrocystic properties (not life threatening in any way), and can track changes later in life. My appointment is actually tomorrow! What calmed my nerves is on the referral it asks "Cancer suspected?" and doctor put "no"...phew!

Also I started taking evening primrose oil daily and Wow, what a difference! It really does help and I now only sometimes get that flash of pain quite rarely. It's known to help with breast pain! My suggestion is to try that!

Bakebeansrule
10-07-16, 16:22
I'm having a similar issue at the moment. Mine started with an itchy nipple of all things! Of course I googled and that sent me into a huge tizz. Since then the itching hasn't been as bad but I then started to get pains in both sides and under my arm. Of course I've convinced myself it's the worst. I stopped taking the pill about a week ago so im waiting for my period which I'm sure is adding to them being sore and tender. I can't see or feel an changes and neither can my bf so I'm going with everything's fine my anxiety has just woken up for a few days. There is a history of breast cancer in both sides of my family both were aunts one in her 50s and the other in her 60s when they are diagnosed. I'm only 30 I hope I'm not going to have this fear forever

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 16:30
I'm only 30 as well and my grandmother had it twice, so it will always be at the back of my mind. I sometimes wonder if I should get tested for the gene but I think it might make things even worse for me if it comes up that I have it!

Thankfully I've learned that breast pain isn't a normal symptom of breast cancer, but it is normal of hormones. I hope that was my issue. I'll find out tomorrow!

carabijoux
10-07-16, 16:38
@DisgracedAngel

I'm so glad to hear evening primrose oil helps you! I'll definitely look into it. You must let me know how you get on tomorrow! x

@Bakebeansrule

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through the anxiety torture too. I stopped taking Sertraline a couple of months ago, and it caused havoc in my periods. I just finished my second cycle, so I wonder whether this is all just my hormones being weird and adjusting to the change. If you're waiting for your period, I'm sure that's what it is! xx

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

I'm only 30 as well and my grandmother had it twice, so it will always be at the back of my mind. I sometimes wonder if I should get tested for the gene but I think it might make things even worse for me if it comes up that I have it!

Thankfully I've learned that breast pain isn't a normal symptom of breast cancer, but it is normal of hormones. I hope that was my issue. I'll find out tomorrow!

I'm 31 - funny how we're all the same age! :)

I had no idea that that was the case - that pain isn't a normal sign of breast cancer?

I started with all of this last week while I was on my period, and I had sore nipples (which I get occasionally). But as it was towards the end of my period, I wondered if there were any other causes. Stupidly, I Googled 'sore boobs' (or something like that) and all I saw was the word cancer in the search results. I didn't even look any further - I couldn't. So I just assumed that breast pain was a symptom...so I was really surprised just now to read your reply! So maybe I have been working myself up over absolutely nothing :unsure: xx

Bakebeansrule
10-07-16, 17:47
I was also on sertraline for about 6 weeks then I stopped taking it back in March and have been fine until this blip. I've not had a period since before Christmas so as daft as it sounds I forget how I feel before so this could all be normal and I'm getting worked up over nothing. I hope you both start to feel better soon, feel free to pm me it's sometimes nice to have someone to chat to when your worried about things

carabijoux
10-07-16, 18:57
Thank you so much lovely.

Interesting to hear you've had these issues following Sertraline, too. I was on it for a couple of years, and had to stop it because I had started to build an intolerance. Spotting in between periods was part of that...but never any issues with boob pain! So, I'm wondering if this is my body's way of my hormones slowly adjusting to life off of Sertraline.

Thank you for your support - it means a lot to me. I've gotten myself into such a state today xx

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 19:25
I was also on sertraline for about 6 weeks then I stopped taking it back in March and have been fine until this blip. I've not had a period since before Christmas so as daft as it sounds I forget how I feel before so this could all be normal and I'm getting worked up over nothing. I hope you both start to feel better soon, feel free to pm me it's sometimes nice to have someone to chat to when your worried about things

Thanks bakebeans!

I've done so much googling on it cara, and it was right before my wedding. I was stressed to no end and then getting the pain just made me stress more. I talked to my mom, who is thankfully also a nurse, and she said it sounded like I had the same as her...fibrocystic breasts...which is nothing serious, just annoying. I was still panicking it was a rare for of the big "c" which does include breast pain, but it is very, very severe, usually affects only one area and you'd have dimpling of the skin as well. I didn't have that, only random shooting pains.

There are two types of normal breast pain: hormonal, which comes and goes about the week before your period and non-hormonal which is whenever. I still don't know which I had because I was under a considerable amount of stress, just having been back from the US to the UK to get married, apply for visas, then jobs, etc etc. Life, eh?!

I read about the evening primrose oil and asked the pharmacist if it could be used for pains. He then asked me specifically "Is it for breast pain?" then I knew it was common. I started taking it right away and within no time at all were my pains nearly gone. You can get is anywhere. I got mine for 99p at Aldi even.

Sorry for another long response but just wanted to emphasise that I've been there!

carabijoux
10-07-16, 19:37
Wow you have been through a lot DisgracedAngel! But...congrats on your wedding :yahoo:

I have no idea if this is true, but I'm actually wondering whether anxiety itself can cause breast pain?

Like you, my pain is not severe - it's not even moderate. It's just more like hot twinges that are over in a second. It's across both breasts, around all areas. No noticeable changes on the surface etc.

I know that my anxiety seems to be linked to my cycles. My GP explained that some women get a form of PMS that is more anxiety-driven than sadness/anger driven. I had my period this week (it finished on Tues) and I had nipple pain and sensitivity - and since then, it's all I've been able to think about. So now I'm wondering whether the anxiety itself is causing these 'twinges', as it might be muscular strain from the tension?

Just a thought - it's crazy how much anxiety can affect is physically xx

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 19:50
It's something I'm going to ask tomorrow actually about the pain being linked to anxiety. I'll let you know what they say!

Anxiety is hell. It has literally taken over my life. I just had a two hour phone call with my mom in the US to tell her my greatest fear at the moment. She did everything reassure me that I'm on but the stress and anxiety is making me physically sick and above all, that needs to be controlled. I actually feel emotionally drained after that conversation even haha I need a glass of wine!

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Oh...and thanks for the congrats! It's been an interesting three months with my anxiety just blooming but I'm lucky I have a great husband, however he agrees I need help!

carabijoux
10-07-16, 19:54
It's something I'm going to ask tomorrow actually about the pain being linked to anxiety. I'll let you know what they say!

Anxiety is hell. It has literally taken over my life. I just had a two hour phone call with my mom in the US to tell her my greatest fear at the moment. She did everything reassure me that I'm on but the stress and anxiety is making me physically sick and above all, that needs to be controlled. I actually feel emotionally drained after that conversation even haha I need a glass of wine![COLOR="blue"]

I'm with you. It is hell. I've suffered with anxiety (health anxiety, specifically) since I was 18. I have bad times, and better times - but I'm never totally free of it.

It's amazing how much it can take over your life, isn't it? I find even the simplest things so difficult to do - showering, dressing my daughter - it's like I'm stuck in invisible mud.

I run my own business, so thankfully I don't have a boss I need to explain myself to. But most days I feel like I'm on auto-pilot - just trying to keep myself going against the fear.

Are you on medication for the anxiety? x

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 20:09
No. I didn't want to be but now I'm at the point where it's so debilitating that I need to. I'm actually still looking for a job, I graduated with my third degree in January yet still have no confidence to go out there and get back into the work force because of this anxiety otherwise I'd be scared to have to explain things myself :-/

carabijoux
10-07-16, 20:14
No. I didn't want to be but now I'm at the point where it's so debilitating that I need to. I'm actually still looking for a job, I graduated with my third degree in January yet still have no confidence to go out there and get back into the work force because of this anxiety otherwise I'd be scared to have to explain things myself :-/

I'm so sorry to hear that lovely.

I've been on and off medication since I was 18. Like you, I never want to be on the medication...but I have found that the anxiety is easier to cope with when I'm taking something.

I think my mistake is that I come off it too soon. My GP has always been very respectful of my wishes around coming off medication, although I think I need to stick with it for much longer after feeling better.

I came off Sertraline a couple of months ago because of side effects (which had built up over a couple of years of being on it on and off), and I felt better - so I didn't go onto anything else. I think this was a mistake - and so does my GP. So I'm going back on Prozac now, and this time I'n going to stay on it for at least a year x

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 20:30
Is it something you take regularly daily? Or as and when needed? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I literally know nothing about the medications out there, except from what I've read here.

My mom told me I need to take a xanax earlier! I'm not sure if she was.joking but she said she is worried about my anxiety so maybe not :-P I'm not even 100% sure what xanax is for to be honest haba

carabijoux
10-07-16, 20:40
Is it something you take regularly daily? Or as and when needed? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I literally know nothing about the medications out there, except from what I've read here.

My mom told me I need to take a xanax earlier! I'm not sure if she was.joking but she said she is worried about my anxiety so maybe not :-P I'm not even 100% sure what xanax is for to be honest haba

I've always taken my medication daily. The majority of anti-depressants / anti-anxiety drugs take a while to build up in your system, so it's an everyday / long-term thing.

When I'm especially anxious, I have a box of Diazepam (Valium) that I keep nearby for emergencies. Valium is similar to Xanax (I believe) in that it's for short-term use, and more for extreme cases. Xanax and Valium are tranquillisers - whereas other meds work in different ways.

At the moment, I'm taking Prozac (Fluoxetine) which I started again three days ago (I took it years ago and it did help me), alongside a beta blocker (Propanalol) for anxiety. Beta blockers work by minimising the physical effects of anxiety - by slowing your heart rate down, mainly.

I know that it can be anxiety-provoking to even think about medication (ah the irony!) but in my personal experience, medication has helped me cope with anxiety and depression, for sure. The anxiety hasn't ever gone away, but the meds do help me work through it, as opposed to feel trapped by it.

I've always experienced side effects of some description with each medication I've taken. Usually, they're worst when going on and coming off the drug, or when I've changed dosage. The side effects have usually gone after a couple of weeks, as my body has adjusted to them.

Xanax/Valium type drugs are wonderful because they literally make you feel a bit loopy, without a care in the world. But they're highly addictive, so they're only usually prescribed in small doses, and for extreme anxiety until a better solution is put into place.

I would say - of course, I'm not an expert in these things, but this is just based on my experience :)

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 20:51
I appreciate that cara! It's good to hear people's experiences and that k's for explaining it all as well. I can go into my doctors now with at least an idea of what I would like to try, as long as he agrees.

Funny how this post asks for help for you but you've ended up helping me too! I am glad that is how this site works though :-) x

carabijoux
10-07-16, 20:58
I appreciate that cara! It's good to hear people's experiences and that k's for explaining it all as well. I can go into my doctors now with at least an idea of what I would like to try, as long as he agrees.

Funny how this post asks for help for you but you've ended up helping me too! I am glad that is how this site works though :-) x

Hehe I know right??

If I were you, I would go to your GP with an open mind, and see what he suggests.

I think the other thing I would say is that it's quite normal to have to try a few different medications to find one that really works for you. I'm not saying that none of them will help - but you might find that one works better for you than another. That's definitely been the case with me. I've tried Citalopram, Sertraline, Fluoxetine (Prozac), Venlaflaxine, Lofepramine and Mirtazepine (over time...obviously not all at once lol!).

When I was feeling more depressed than anxious, Sertraline gave me a bit of a boost. But when I've felt more anxious than depressed, Prozac seemed to have a more calming effect.

So I think it's about having an honest chat with your GP about where you're at, and seeing which he'd recommend. He'll probably start you with a really low dose, and you'll build up until you find a dose that helps you manage the anxiety x

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 21:03
Thanks for that! I will do. I'm happy trying to find what is best for me. I've hit rock bottom so I'll try anything x

carabijoux
10-07-16, 21:04
Thanks for that! I will do. I'm happy trying to find what is best for me. I've hit rock bottom so I'll try anything x

You might find just a small dose of something gives you back the ability to manage it. You must let me know how you get on! xo

DisgracedAngel
10-07-16, 21:11
I'll let you know what they say at the breast clinic tomorrow too about it being linked to anxiety. I'm actually not anxious about this at all probably because I've been relatively pain free. Normally I'd be dying to get to the doctor!

Bakebeansrule
11-07-16, 09:49
I've got myself into even more of a mess today I'm sure one of my breasts looks flat underneath my bf can't see it and says its looked like it's always looked. I've seen all this in the news and on Facebook about changes and dimples now I'm worried it's happening to me. I've booked a Drs appointment for a couple of weeks time I think I may need to start taking the sertraline again. I'm so scared I'm gonna have to say goodbye to my little girl it's breaking my heart

DisgracedAngel
11-07-16, 13:37
Hi Ladies!

I just got back from my agonisingly long breast clinic appointment. Thankfully that was the worst of it...the wait!

The doctor examined me first and said he couldn't feel anything abnormal. Lumpiness is natural, and you'd be able to differentiate between your normal lumps and bumps (which can change and move around and all sorts) and something that shouldn't be there. He sent me for an ultrasound to double check, which also came up clear.

He told me there are various reasons why you could get breast pain. Hormones being one of them but he thought mine was more muscular related because my pain would throb for a few seconds before going away. He doesn't worry at all but has told me that in his report he will tell my GP that if pain comes back then I can be referred for some sort of chest xray. I asked if stress and anxiety could cause this and he said yes because it has an affect on muscles. So there you go! I've got healthy boobs, yippee!