View Full Version : Metartarsalgia or something else?

Happydaze*
10-07-16, 17:45
Hi there, I have been having foot problems for months now. It started just slight but it's gradually got worse to the point were it's now very uncomfortable and painful at times to walk. Its always painful but some days are worse than others depending how active I am. It hurts to walk on hard floors barefoot so obviously I avoid this but I have to wear padding in my shoes and iv had to convert to crocs, even these I need padding in. The pain goes into my toes, mainly second and third ones. My right foot is worse, it's inflamed all the time. I've been back and forth to the doc who diagnosed metartarsalgia. Iv also seen a physiotherapist and a chiropodist who all say they don't think it's any more than metartarsalgia yet I admit I think they could be wrong! :weep: I also get burning and tingling pains in my toes though only when feet are hot so not all the time. This last week iv started getting burning and pains in my left hand, fingers and tingling at times. I noticed my fingers hurt more when I hold something very cold. The hand issues come and go through the day but the foot issues not at all and it's driving me crazy that I can't walk or play with my kids!! I'm using ice packs, painkillers and iv bought all the insoles suggested. I'm now waiting to see a podiatrist at the hospital but I Googled all my symptoms (bad habit!!) and although metartarsalgia comes up, so does arthritis and peripheral neuropathy!! I don't know anyone who's had metartarsalgia so I don't know if this is going to be a permanent thing if it is that but like I say I have my doubts. Just before it got as bad as it has I went through a really stressful time with another health issue and was waiting full blood count results to come back and thought I might have cancer, I didn't but it shook me up badly and my leg muscles were twitching and jumping and I kept getting sensations like splashes of water hitting my legs. Everyone says this is anxiety. I still get the muscle twitching now. The legs are probably anxiety but not my feet! Sorry for the long post, thanks for listening.

Bearinmind
12-07-16, 00:55
The leg and hands are very clearly anxiety.

The foot seems like an inflammatory process, like metatarsalgia. Considering it got worse after a period of stress, it's even more likely. Joint pain always gets worse or appears during times of stress.

In peripheral neuropathy there's more than pain, there's also loss of propriopception, motor loss and sensation loss. You don't seem to have any. Metatarsalgia is more likely than anything else.

Happydaze*
12-07-16, 12:16
Thank you so much for your reply.
You seem to have an idea about my symptoms.
Even after 20-odd years I'm still finding new anxiety symptoms!
I spoke to my doc yesterday, she says my bloods in may would have picked up inflammation to detect arthritis and after seeing both her and a physiotherapist,neither think arthritis and just metartarsalgia. I have full orthotic insoles recommended by a podiatrist because apparently my lower ankles/heel area go slightly in-over :wacko:
I have an appointment with biomechamics next month to see what can be done etc etc.
It's very uncomfortable, the pain isn't nice but the inflammation is the worse!
Thank you once again for replying!! :)

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

By the way I had no idea anxiety could cause aches and pains in muscles and bones till I joined here!
Yes, the last few months have been stressor to the point I almost thought I was heading a breakdown but I didn't and here I am! Thanks again!

Bearinmind
12-07-16, 16:10
It can, it's one of the most common symptoms.

From my medical understanding, metartasalgia is cured with physiotherapy, since there is no auto-immune process (like arthritis) the most likely reason for it is bad muscle/joint compensation, so leg/ankle physiotherapy will solve the issue.

Massage and aerobic exercise can help as well, by increasing blood perfusion on your feet, but since walking is off the question I would suggest you to get a stationary bicycle for your home, an horizontal one as they provide the least leg impact. I have bad standing posture and can damage my knees if I try to run constantly, I got a stationary bicycle to avoid the impact on knees and ankle and it worked, I can do aerobic exercise for quite a long time and my joints feel ok. if I try to run my knees, ankle and feet hurt badly.