PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of colonoscopy problems

Aleman200
10-07-16, 22:35
I've read a few stories about people having tons of issues after their colonoscopy and the leaflet says something like 1 in 4000 people get perforation or some other complication and i'm absolutely petrified of something happening during the procedure.

Justinian
11-07-16, 11:32
Relax.

Superworrier
11-07-16, 11:39
Hey please don't worry I have had this done three times and came to no harm many on here have also had it and come to no harm .
The leaflets can be an anxiety hot bed for us .

Nothing like that will happen you will be fine :)

AndyB510
11-07-16, 17:49
I think the words 'mild discomfort' sum it up. You will have, or can ask for intravenous sedation, they may ask you to roll onto your side and there may be short twinges as they manoeuvre the camera around etc but its bearable.

They also provide a screen and suggested to me I might like to watch, I declined that little pleasure! All in all, although intrusive, the whole procedure shouldnt take long (30 mins?) and the disclaimer stuff about perforations etc is just something they have to list to cover themselves, it is by no means a likely outcome as the odds suggest.

Finally your relief that its over will be all encompassing, as will the severe flatulence in recovery :) I remember being wheeled next to a poor old woman who had just undergone a hip replacement when the air they had pumped into me decided it needed to come out!!

In summary, a routine procedure, please dont panic it will be over quicker than you know

Aleman200
11-07-16, 21:08
Thank you guys, i feel much better about it after reading your posts. It's just not very informative of the after-procedure time, like what if i find blood or something when i go, or how long will it be before my bowels go back to normal!

And i agree, next time i'll avoid the leaflet i think! :D

Aleman200
12-07-16, 21:50
Oh, and it's not very clear on what i can or can't eat while waiting to use the stuff, any advice?

Pepperpot
12-07-16, 22:29
http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/gi/diet-advice-bowel-prep-colonoscopy.pdf

Aleman200
12-07-16, 23:57
Thank you that was useful! Do you think i should keep taking my citalopram like normal?

Aleman200
14-07-16, 12:28
Not sure if it's the anxiety or what but not eating today has made my last solid movement all tiny rabbit pellets. I take my first sachet at 5pm tonight. Wish me luck :x

AlexandriaUK
14-07-16, 15:45
Good luck, but you want need it promise, I also have had 3 and the fear of the unknown was my biggest problem first time which was a while ago and done in tiny cottage hospital with very old equipment, all changed since then do no probs, still only wathef first five mins but told them I didn't want to watch anymore as it was a repeat LOL

Aleman200
14-07-16, 19:44
Thank you so much for your kind words. I just finished my first litre of moviprep and it's not nearly been as bad as imagined. Things have been loose but it's more of an inconvenience than anything. I'm hoping I sleep well tonight! Do they tell you the results on the day do you know?

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

The worst part is drinking this stuff. It tastes foul.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

onto the second litre. Pretty sure there's just water coming out at this point but I Gotta follow the instructions!

Aleman200
15-07-16, 07:41
Off for my appointment now, I'm still quite sore back there, here's hoping it all goes okay.

Elen
15-07-16, 08:08
good luck

Aleman200
15-07-16, 11:09
Thank you. It went fine. The procedure was a breeze. They took some random biopsies and said they found some tiny superficial apthoid ulcers which I'm not sure about but they said I'm basically fine.

Elen
15-07-16, 13:10
Well done Aleman and good news.

Hope the rest of the day goes ok for you.

Aleman200
15-07-16, 13:31
Thank you! They said they took some random biopsies aswell so I assume this is just a routine thing? And how long do they usually take to come back?