PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got better on their own?

August
11-07-16, 12:00
So I think I have anxiety, panic attacks and ocd and although I know when it started I don't know why or why it hasn't gone away, has any one had any success getting rid of any of these without professional help?

Buster70
11-07-16, 12:44
Hi , first time round I managed on my own that was in the late 80s no meds no help from doc he was useless took blood pressure and that was it , and no internet back then I was ok for over ten years , second time in 1999 got through it again on my own and had anothe OK ten years , I am a worrier so it comes back with stress and major family events , this time round tried meds and I've ended struggling to get better , trying cbt now , it might just get harder as you get older , try on your own and if this don't improve then seem some help , meds work for some and therapy is enough for others we are all different there is no one size fits all for mental health , take care .

August
11-07-16, 15:51
It's just that I'm not keen on taking meds at all unless it's really necessary. Well done though on doing it on your own, what did you do just wait for each episode to pass? That's what I'm doing but it seems to be getting more frequent :/

Buster70
11-07-16, 22:20
Hi , keeping busy , getting out even if only for a short while , anything that distracts you from the anxiety the more you think about it the more you will fuel it , I've been in the position a few times where all I can think is how long will this last , counting days then weeks and just pushing to hard to get better , I know to well it's not easy to just act normal and get on with things but if you do a bit then a bit more it gets easier to be yourself you realy can't fight it you just have to let it pass , personally I wish I hadn't gone down the route of meds but for some it is the only option hopfully you are not at that stage , take care

August
11-07-16, 23:02
Yeah, I don't think I'm at that stage yet, it was just effecting me through the night but has slowly crept into daytime now. I'm a busy person I'm usually busy from morning till night and on occasion have been so busy I've had to stay up 48 hours :O but keeping myself busy doesn't seem to be working, I've been getting it at work and classes. I'm trying to ride it out, it's nice seeing that it has worked for someone else even if it wasn't a permanent solution...10 years would be great. Thanks for the replies and info :)

Buster70
12-07-16, 08:31
Maybe you are doing to much take a bit of time out to slow down or you will burn out , sometimes it's good to take a step back and take things in , sometimes when walking my dogs I just stop for bit and listen to the sounds and look around just bring yourself back down to ground .

pulisa
12-07-16, 08:49
I find it very hard to slow down and realise that it is just as challenging for me to slow down and take in the moment as it is for others to motivate themselves. Learning to feel comfortable when not doing anything is so important and yes, you can get better on your own without meds.