PDA

View Full Version : Exercise tips

KeeKee
11-07-16, 14:48
Sorry I know this is probably the wrong place to post, I'm just not sure where else to put it.

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips on exercises I can do in the comfort of my own home. I do have a couple of exercise DVD's but our walls are paper thin and I don't feel comfortable jumping all over the place knowing the neighbours will be able to hear (we can hear them talking when we have no TV or music on).

I have BDD (undiagnosed but suspected and discussed with therapist) and can't have any skin out etc so I can't exercise outdoors as I overheat quickly in this weather as I always wear a jacket and full length trousers, so at the moment going for walks is completely out of the question.

My GP recommended a treadmill but that is far out of my price range for now, so I need to make do with what I can do indoors. I have a dodgy knee so can't squat, although I can do lunges no problem. I also have 5lb weights at home.

I do have a 'pilates for beginners' DVD that doesn't include any banging etc, but I'm not sure that's enough. I don't feel it the next day as I do with my other DVD's.

Also, is it normal that any exercise (except waking) causes me to shake and feel sickly? I also notice when I lift my weights about my head my hands start going numb almost immediately. I must be ridiculously unfit. (although come the dark, cold nights I can walk for miles).

Sunflower2
11-07-16, 15:45
Hi KeeKee, you get a lot of good exercise routines on YouTube. You can find heaps of different things for Pilates and yoga and also more intensive workouts. I find running too hard on my knees so I go cycling quite often (not sure if that would be an option for you) and I also have some resistance bands to strengthen my muscles. I used to be really weak in my upper body but you improve quite quickly if you keep at it.

KeeKee
11-07-16, 16:55
Cycling isn't really an option I feel really embarrassed in front of people and get all shakey. I won't even run for a bus as I feel like people are watching me I'd rather miss appointments etc. There's also the problem of my attire, any activity in the warm weather will have me overheating as I don't like any of my body on show (hands and face the exception but my face only due to me having no choice really). Plus I don't own a bike although if I did it would probably gather dust.

It would most definitely need to be indoors and those YouTube videos sound like a great idea thank you. Also resistance bands, I do actually have one I bought in the £1 shop (I'm a big spender!) and I'm also really weak in my arms so that would be interesting. Is there any particular thing you should do with them?

Do you think Yoga and Pilates can be good workouts? Are they any good for toning? Sorry for all the questions I'm just sick to death of being inactive and feeling like I'm a ticking time bomb for diabetes et al.

Sunflower2
11-07-16, 21:23
I tend to stand on one end of the resistance band with my foot and stretch it up and across above my head with my hand. I also hold it stretched above my head and pull my arms outwards. I have no idea if that makes sense but I'm sure you can google different exercises for them! I got my exercises from a physiotherapist because of back pain.

Yoga and Pilates definitely are good workouts, I used to go to yoga classes and I'd be stiff and sore for days! They are really good for toning and strengthening and as long as they get your heart rate up then they are helping! You can also get short videos 5-10 minutes long so they aren't too drawn out. Just see how you get on!

DisgracedAngel
11-07-16, 22:55
Find Leslie Sansome walk at home on YouTube. She's brilliant and you can build yourself up for further "walks". She also has resistance band training but you do what is most comfortable for you. This would be a decent start to other exercise routines if you find walking most comfortable now x

Lifelonganxiety!
11-07-16, 23:31
Check the free ads for an exercise bike. Doesn't cause any banging around and people buy that sort of thing all the time then get rid of it unused.

Otherwise, things like Pilates and Yoga are good exercise. It doesn't matter if you don't ache after, the movement and motion and stretching are still a form of exercise.

misslove
12-07-16, 04:16
I love Jillian micheals DVDs. I try to work out 3-4 days a week. Also incentive is very important! I love my after workout smoothie and I only let myself have it if I workout. I'll be glad to answe questions you have. I'm no expert but I know a lot about working out and nutrition pm if u want!

MyNameIsTerry
12-07-16, 04:50
I love Jillian micheals DVDs. I try to work out 3-4 days a week. Also incentive is very important!

Me too, but it's very different...:blush::whistles::roflmao:

KeeKee
12-07-16, 09:48
Thank you all so much for your advice. I think I'm going to look on YouTube and do some Yoga and/or Pilates. I'm also going to use my cheap skate resistance band.

I actually just got rid of an exercise bike as it was exceptionally uncomfortable. I used it probably 3 times in around 3 years.

Misslove I do have two Jillian Michaels DVD's (30 Day Shred and Killer Buns and Thighs) and I think they're really, really good but I can't do them often as they are really loud on my laminate floor (even with Yoga mat) and I can't do it properly thinking the neighbours can hear, I end up just tiptoeing the moves etc. Sad I know. I will only do them when I know the neighbours aren't in and only if it's morning or evening. My partner even told me I sound like an elephant when I'm doing it so that's truly put me off.

Roll on the dark nights then I'll start going for very peaceful walks again. Preferably with a slight drizzle.

misslove
14-07-16, 04:49
You can get her yoga DVDs. They are pretty calm when it comes to cardio but they will still wreck you. My 6 yr old is home on vacation so she did it with me the other day. Sadly she put me to shame :( I'm in shape for the most part but her boundless energy and child flex a ilty just isn't fair!

KeeKee
14-07-16, 14:17
Thank you Misslove, I'm going to have a look at her Yoga ones then because I do like her.
Haha yes children are so flexible aren't they? I'm jealous, I'm probably the stiffest person ever, doing the warm down at the end of the 30 Day Shred is a nightmare as I can't do the one where you have to put your arms behind your back and sit up straight.

misslove
15-07-16, 05:08
Just do what you can and you'll get there eventually. I hate cardio. Hate hate hate it. I love the body training and weight lifting. Cardio is my nemesis!

MyNameIsTerry
15-07-16, 06:06
Just do what you can and you'll get there eventually. I hate cardio. Hate hate hate it. I love the body training and weight lifting. Cardio is my nemesis!

How about CrossFit?

misslove
19-07-16, 04:46
Not sure what that is Terry. If I do cardio I get headaches. Not sure if it's cause the racing heart feels like a anxiety attack or what it is but I just avoid it best I can.

MyNameIsTerry
19-07-16, 06:25
It's a mix of cardio, body weight training and Olympic lifting.

misslove
20-07-16, 03:31
Sounds complicated lol. I like my yoga in the morning to get my head on straight and work out any anxiety I may have. Usually works for the most part. Im underweight as it is so I try to not lose anymore if I can help it. It really angers people when they know I work out and still eat ice cream and cookies. :p whoops!