PDA

View Full Version : Instant panic

Becky2785
11-07-16, 17:16
So just left work and saw a man on the floor being resuscitated and a flood of panic came over what if that was me what if what if what if omg why do we suffer so much I just want to feel ok x

Mojo61
11-07-16, 17:37
I get that Becky if I see something horrible. Don't worry because the initial flash of panic will wear off shortly and then in a few hours you will be OK. It is just the anxiety up to its usual tricks x

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

On my CBT course I had some homework to do; I had to watch an item on the news that I knew would upset me (I usually mute the sound or turn the TV over if anything like that comes on) and write down my panic level out of 10 immediately after watching it, and then half an hour later, an hour later, and so on and so forth. After about 3 hrs my panic level was back to how it was prior to watching the news item. I had to keep practising that even though it was horrible (my worst fears are usually terrorist related attacks, especially ISIS) and gradually I found it easier to watch them without feeling the panic and fear I would usually feel. It is still a work in progress for me but I'm working on it.

Becky2785
11-07-16, 17:40
I have homework like that from my cbt therapist with the thoughts I get about suicide I have to write them down with the worst possible outcome and read it over and over until my anxiety comes down and I can read it with barley any hard but it is working. I still feel slightly anxious now racing thoughts again but an early night and bath will help me settle xx

Mojo61
11-07-16, 17:55
Yeah, a good old soak in the tub will do the trick lol. Make sure there are lots of bubbles, candles, soft music, that kind of stuff :winks: