PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid and anxious about Lung Cancer

aaronrh76
12-07-16, 04:14
Forgive me but this might be a long post but I will try to be on point. I am 36 and have never had anxiety until around the 14th of May, this year. 13 years in the Army, deployed twice to Iraq and once to Afghanistan, and never had much fear or anxiety. Then all of a sudden in May I got bit by a dog. Long story short I was sure the dog had rabies and I was gonna die. Totally irrational I know, but still I couldn't help but dwell on it over and over. But I got the shots and after the series was complete I felt better.

A week later one day I am reading an interesting article online. In the article a woman is describing how she had a persistent cough for two years, then one day she couldn't walk because she had such severe pain in her hip. Went to the doctor and she had lung cancer stage 4.

Ok, so I started smoking a little after 18. But not too heavily because I still lived with my mom and dad and could only smoke outside so maybe 2 packs a week. I didn't start smoking regularly until after I joined the army and finished basic and training at early 20. I averaged about a pack a day, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less with periodic breaks in between. When I got out of the Army, I actually picked up smoking and probably reached 2 packs a day at some point. Anyways I got married last May and quit cold turkey on August 1st 2015. It also sucks that in my army deployments I was exposed to the wonders of the BURN PITS, and also in Kuwait was stationed right by several chemical plants. Seriously, everyone of us was hacking up white phleme by the end of the tour. So triple threat to my lungs right there. Near December is when my post smoking cough dissipated. After that; however, I have had a slight, periodic cough from time to time. Someday's a little bit, some days more often. Non productive, its like a tickle in the back of my throat.

I go to the VA every 6 months for a health screening, and actually when I was down in May for my Rabies shots, I asked about the cough and they said it was most likely allergies. I figured yes that makes sense, I have had hey fever my entire life, and I live in Austin now, which is year round allergies . I probably never noticed this cough before because of my smoking habit. About a month ago my wife says she wakes up to me coughing violently like I am chocking. I do not remember any of this but she tells me. It only happens when I sleep on my back. Got this device to record my oxygen level when I sleep turns out more than likely I do not have sleep apnea. Most likely acid reflux, and that makes sense because I have always had bowel issues.

So I am feeling fine until I read that article and it hit me like a ton of bricks. OMG I have had this periodic cough for so long now. I have Lung Cancer. I went to the VA emergency room in Temple, TX where they do a chest XRay. Radiologist said no signs of scarring, inflammation, or anything, so all clear, doctor says I have nothing to worry about doctor prescribes acid reflux medicine for that coughing at night thing. I feel better for a day. But guess what. Studies show that patients getting regular chest xrays do not increase chance of survival. Chest Xrays do not show early stage lung cancer. Back to worrying, thanks Dr. Google.

I am coughing more regularly now, I am thinking its psychosomatic, but my uvula is swollen so its tickling the back of my throat. I think I strain my chest muscles (intercoastals) due to the coughing. I push my regular 6 month check up from August to early July. Doctor listens to my lungs, perfectly clear, says he could have told me just from the sound of my lungs the chest xray would show nothing. My oxygen level is good. He hears me cough and says he has that same issue, its allergies. He perscribes some allergy meds, and says that if this doesn't help next visit he will send me to the pulmonologist. My coughing is much less now, maybe once an hour, sometimes less, unless I think about it, then I will cough out of habit. I have tourettes syndrome which is a defect in the brain, same part that OCD is defective in. So we share similar traits, like obsessiveness, hence me continuously dwelling on this. My cough is now a tic. I feel better until I realize thanks to Dr. Google that lung cancer cough can masquerade as allergy cough.

So basically, my deal is this. I just keep on thinking the worst for some reason. My cough. Thats my only symptom. No fatigue, no spit up, no abnormal weight loss. I do feel pain in my shoulder and chest, but I just recently started a gym membership so most likely that is my shoulder pain explanation, and my chest pain is most likely caused by my coughing straining my intercoastals. So hear I am, with most likely allergies, in a famous allergy city, paranoid about lung cancer. I feel so foolish, but for some reason I cannot stop dwelling on it. My anxiety is causing me more chest pains, non stop diarrhea, and some days I will wake up at 140 in the morning and not be able to sleep again. Every move my wife makes, or every sound I hear sets me on alert. I hate myself for being so damned stupid to smoke so much in my past, and I hate that I can't man up and stop worrying about this. I know that Dr. Google is the root of all evil and I need to stop going to him, its just I get a question in my mind, and can't stop thinking about it, then I convince myself that I can find the answer online and it will be good news, and be able to put me at ease. No such luck. I have so many questions, like

Is it normal for a human to cough every so often throughout the day? How much is a normal regular cough to clear dust or debris out of your lungs, and what consists of something more. And what does persistent or chronic cough entail? Is a periodic slight cough like mine concidered a persistent chronic cough, or does it more entail with a cough which you are hacking and coughing violently?

Is a lung cancer cough consistent through out the day like you always cough, or does it come and go, like someday's bad someday's not so bad. What about the chest pain or shoulder pain?

And why does my allergies scare me more than mortars, and gunfire ever did?

Once again sorry for the long post, I just had to get this off my chest. My anxiety is really getting on my last nerve. I don't want to live the rest of my life like this, in constant fear. I mean what if I finally get over this fear, to one day be watching tv and see something else that freaks me out and be dealing with another month of being sure I am screwed. Reading some of the forums on here has helped put my mind at ease a little, I am hoping sharing my story will help as well.

Lifelonganxiety!
12-07-16, 17:43
Mornin!

Sucks to have health anxiety doesn't it!

Unfortunately, we often see something that triggers a bad thought just in our daily lives. Not much you can do to avoid seeing everything that might start you off. You just have to realize that these sorts of stories only make the news because they are so rare. Because it happened to one person doesn't mean it's going to happen to you.

As for the cough, it sounds like you have a normal ex-smoker cough, or just a normal cough from allergies, post nasal-drip, acid reflux - any number of causes!

I cough a lot during the day, mostly in the morning while I have a dry throat and I do have post nasal and acid reflux. Get pains in chest and back / shoulder from poor posture as well.

LOT of benign causes of these minor issues basically as a result of the lives we have led and the stresses we put our bodies through. You have been checked and reassured by the docs so I don't think you have to worry about anything serious.

The chest x-rays won't pick up a cancer that isn't there. You can't think that if they don't see anything it just means it's there but it's too small for the scan right now. The scans didn't pick anything up because there isn't anything.

Next time you're in the VA, ask about help for anxiety. It's the cause of your symptoms right now I'm guessing. Treating that should help a lot!

aaronrh76
12-07-16, 17:58
Yeah, I agree. I have been slowly getting better each day, hope I can soon put this stuff behind me, and use this experience as a learning experience to help me deal with things in the future. As for seeing a doctor for my anxiety, I just might do that, but I really do not want to take any anxiety meds because I fear that I might start relying on them, so every little thing that scares me I run back to meds.

countrygirl
12-07-16, 22:36
Most coughs are due to post nasal drip from allergies or post viral coughs from bugs and they can last for months.
The fact you have stopped smoking is great and the longer you are off them the more the risk of smoking related lung cancer goes down.
I have a very close friend who has never smoked in her life, never had a cough and was diagnosed with lung cancer last year ( type that none smokers get), hers was picked up by chest x ray for an unrelated problem so chest x rays do pick up very small cancers in the lung.

MyNameIsTerry
14-07-16, 06:10
Meds are there to support you, they don't fix anxiety. Whilst I think we all understand the concern over being on them, are they so different to medication for physical issues? So, why not use them if they can help you to recover and then you can come off them?

I'm always dubious about internet stories and unless I see a doctor stating someone has had X for Y years, I tend to start thinking about the poster getting it wrong.

Lung cancer presents at stage III & IV in symptoms. So, this person had an aggressive form of cancer for 2 years and then it progressed into affecting her physically, which would likely mean it hitting stage IV? That sounds pretty unlikely to me.

It sounds more like they had a persistent cough from any number of reasons and a totally unconnected event in getting lung cancer occurred. My mum's had a persistent cough for longer than 2 years, it's caused by issues with her blood pressure meds and she's had X-rays showing excess fluid in the lungs which needed addressing. There are many possibilities for persistent coughing, it's not just lung cancer but our medical systems tend to air on the side of caution by telling us to ask a doctor.

Consider the example of the blood in your poo situation. Over here the adverts say you should always see your doctor. The NHS website also says a doctor should be consulted. I've had roids since my early twenties and seen blood many times. Am I going to keep asking on the of chance cancer has come along, an event which wouldn't be connected to my roids issue? No, but the NHS plays it safe saying I should. There's no reason I couldn't get cancer but I won't be putting up a story online about how the symptoms were there for 20 years before diagnosis.

So, be wary of internet stories. Unless a doctor is saying that person had lung cancer for 2 years, I would disregard it as an assumption by the person.

The fact you state it is even getting better shows it's not going to be cancer. Cancer doesn't ebb & flow, it won't get better on it's own and it will keep progressing. If you were coughing due to lung cancer, there is no way that radiologist would have missed it because you would have been at least stage III by then.

To give you an idea, my GF's mum has never smoked in her life, like countrygirl's friend, and she went to her GP because she started having trouble breathing. He sent her to hospital for tests and they kept her in. An X-ray showed hard lumps in her lungs, they did a biopsy which was inconclusive and then a PET scan. The PET revealed lung cancer. This all took place over about 4-5 weeks and she was on breathing equipment in hospital. By the time she came out around week 5 she could only get up the stairs once a day. She was stage IV.

You've had your persistent cough what sounds like around 8 months. I think if you had stage III, you would be quite ill by now and not what you are describing on this thread. AND that radiologist would have easily spotted stage III minimum or least seen something to indicate further testing was required. AND you've recently had a doctor listen to your lungs and hear nothing wrong,

I don't want to give that example to scare you, and I apologise if it is triggering, but I'm hoping you will see the length of time involved in hers and in yours and think about how much worse you would be if you really were in that position.

varucasalt
14-07-16, 06:18
Hi Aaron

I quit smoking, and had a cough for a long time after. Also, when you quit smoking your anxiety worsens. Its been 10 years since I quit and I got really bad anxiety after I quit. Its kinda a double edged sword. Seriously don't worry about it. It would have showed on your xray. I work in health. If you really want to be sure do a pet scan, mri or a cat. Trust me you are fine. Find something fun to do. You deserve it for all your hard work. Love and Light:)

andysa
15-07-16, 03:09
Hi mate,

I completely understand where you are coming from as this was my entrance into the wonderful world of HA. For me it all started with a shadow been found during a routine chest x-ray, for a visa. Long story short after a two week period, two visits to a pulmonologist and a CT scan, i was cleared of any lung disease but the Health Anxiety seed had certainly been planted.

Over the last 5 years I have read just about every article, health journal or study that has been produced with regards to Lung cancer. Then to make matters worse last year my mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and passed away relatively quickly after the diagnosis (77 days later). I have also had two other people that I know, pass away from this disease in the past 6 months. With all of this i feel a bit qualified to give you my opinion about this topic but please understand I am not a medical professional and this is just my opinion as a fellow suffer of health anxiety.

So here4 is a brief summary of everything that I have learnt with regards to lung cancer: the best thing that you can do to avoid lung cancer is to stop smoking, so congratulations on that and make sure that you stay stopped. Next numerous studies have found that if you stop smoking before the age of 35 your chances of developing lung cancer are roughly the same as a non smoker. Lung cancer is relatively common but very uncommon in people under 40 with the vast majority of diagnosis's happening in late 60s to early 70s. Also the rates of survival on lung cancer are actually increasing and there have been a number of significant breakthroughs with regards to the treatment and management of Lung Cancer. So here it is in a nutshell coughs from post nasal drips, allergies, and anxiety are extremely common in your age ground and Lung cancer is exceedingly rare in your age group in the regions of 1 in 100,000. So my honest suggestion is give up Dr google it will just rob you of your life, treat your health anxiety while it is still in its infancy and if you need a complete reassurance speak to the VA about sending you for a chest CT and this will eliminate any fears that you might have.

Best of luck with it all mate and seriously buddy the best idea is to join sites like this rather than sign yourself up to all the cancer sites.

MyNameIsTerry
15-07-16, 06:13
Hi mate,

I completely understand where you are coming from as this was my entrance into the wonderful world of HA. For me it all started with a shadow been found during a routine chest x-ray, for a visa. Long story short after a two week period, two visits to a pulmonologist and a CT scan, i was cleared of any lung disease but the Health Anxiety seed had certainly been planted.

Over the last 5 years I have read just about every article, health journal or study that has been produced with regards to Lung cancer. Then to make matters worse last year my mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and passed away relatively quickly after the diagnosis (77 days later). I have also had two other people that I know, pass away from this disease in the past 6 months. With all of this i feel a bit qualified to give you my opinion about this topic but please understand I am not a medical professional and this is just my opinion as a fellow suffer of health anxiety.

So here4 is a brief summary of everything that I have learnt with regards to lung cancer: the best thing that you can do to avoid lung cancer is to stop smoking, so congratulations on that and make sure that you stay stopped. Next numerous studies have found that if you stop smoking before the age of 35 your chances of developing lung cancer are roughly the same as a non smoker. Lung cancer is relatively common but very uncommon in people under 40 with the vast majority of diagnosis's happening in late 60s to early 70s. Also the rates of survival on lung cancer are actually increasing and there have been a number of significant breakthroughs with regards to the treatment and management of Lung Cancer. So here it is in a nutshell coughs from post nasal drips, allergies, and anxiety are extremely common in your age ground and Lung cancer is exceedingly rare in your age group in the regions of 1 in 100,000. So my honest suggestion is give up Dr google it will just rob you of your life, treat your health anxiety while it is still in its infancy and if you need a complete reassurance speak to the VA about sending you for a chest CT and this will eliminate any fears that you might have.

Best of luck with it all mate and seriously buddy the best idea is to join sites like this rather than sign yourself up to all the cancer sites.

Sorry to hear about your mother in law, Andy. That must have been terrible to see her go down hill so quickly.

I guess this is one of the reasons why lung cancer features so much in anxiety, it's aggressive but also presents in later stages. That leaves the door well open for being having what they believe are symptoms prior to these later stages, but they won't be.

What I found was that the mortality rates are incorrect because they are based on a long period and not including more recent years where treatment has moved on as you say. That's what the charities state and what professionals state too. So, when my GF told me, and I read things like this, I told her to stay away from mortality rates on the internet and to speak to the consultant who will be aware of more recent information that hasn't been shared with the public at this stage.

And definitely, never join any cancer forum. Those guys & girls have got enough to deal with and they won't understand anxiety enough since their anxiety comes more with a rational basis, although very likely a lot of the rest will feel the same.

Kay8010
15-07-16, 17:25
Just my experience.

I developed a cough in January of this year, convinced myself that I had lung cancer, had a chest X-ray and came out normal, my cough has gone because............I stopped thinking about it.....however signing yourself up to cancer forums...well....I did that, two to be precise & both of them scared the living daylights out of me oh and NEVER google cancer stories that will drive you insane like it nearly did me!

I convinced myself after my cough that I had throat cancer as my throat started to pain become sore so off to the ENT I went (self referred) and the scope was normal, I then convinced myself I had stomach cancer or cancer of the esophagus so again trip to the dr even though he re-assured me there is nothing going on I pushed and pushed for an endoscopy and again NORMAL......my issue now is colon cancer for which I am trying to ignore all symptoms by body is giving me....

HA is the worst thing I have experienced in my whole life and GOOGLE has made the issue so much worse.....

I hope you getting help as I will be with CBT

aaronrh76
18-07-16, 04:19
Well my anxiety has been down lately, and am feeling relatively fine, although the last few days, my cough has been acting up, I coughed up a little white mucus yesturday afternoon, and the meds don't seem to help much. The back of my throat feels full of mucus and I have to clear my throat a lot. Hopefully these "allergies" calm down soon; I don't think this 100 degree weather helps much at all.