PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Abscess

almamatters
12-07-16, 16:29
I went to the dentist yesterday with severe toothache, i have an abscess and have been given antibiotics , i am allergic to penicillin so have been given others. I am much better nowadays at taking medication but I am feeling very sick ( i have had two so far) could this be a side effect, i absolutely cannot read the leaflet that comes with the tablets or I will scare myself into stopping taking them. I'm struggling to eat because of the abscess and wonder if this is causing the nausea. Thank you for reading.

dizzy daisy
12-07-16, 17:02
It's likely to be due to the infection you're battling- abcess is a pocket of pus - therefore and infection in the tooth, gum or jaw. Just keep an eye on it over the next few days, some antibiotics can cause a little nausea too so if it gets worse just have a chat with your dentist again. its nothing serious, it's just they kill good and bad bacteria and therefore can cause a bit of tummy upset. Xx

almamatters
12-07-16, 17:35
Thank you for your reply Dizzy Daisy, I'm more reassured now, i just hope the pain wears off soon!

Mojo61
12-07-16, 18:04
Is it metronidazole?

almamatters
12-07-16, 18:12
Is it metronidazole?

Yes 200mg

Mojo61
12-07-16, 18:24
Thought so. Yes, it can make you feel a bit nauseated unfortunately. It should wear off after a couple of days though. Just make sure you stay well away from ANY alcohol as it will make you feel very unwell indeed.

unsure_about_this
12-07-16, 18:46
Well done for going to the dentist, abscess are not fun, I have had antibiotics to treat my abscess which I had last year and one back in 2006 where I needed root canal doing,

almamatters
12-07-16, 18:48
Thanks Mojo 61, yes the pharmacist mentioned the alcohol as well. Like you say, I'm hoping the nausea wears off eventually, I'm know I need to keep taking them.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Well done for going to the dentist, abscess are not fun, I have had antibiotics to treat my abscess which I had last year and one back in 2006 where I needed root canal doing,

Thanks unsure about this, yes the pain got that bad, my usual fear of the dentist faded away. Abscesses are horrible, i think the dentist wants to take the tooth out once the infection has gone, I'm very scared about that !

Mojo61
12-07-16, 18:57
Try taking a probiotic daily until the antibiotic course is finished, and then for another week afterwards. This will restore the normal gut micro flora that the antibiotics have affected. :yesyes:

almamatters
12-07-16, 19:00
Try taking a probiotic daily until the antibiotic course is finished, and then for another week afterwards. This will restore the normal gut micro flora that the antibiotics have affected. :yesyes:

Something like yakult? Sorry I get confused with all these different products.

Mojo61
12-07-16, 19:05
I use Optibac which is a capsule you take once a day. Most chemists sell probiotic capsules

almamatters
12-07-16, 19:24
Thank you i will definitely get some.