PDA

View Full Version : Foot problems

Jamie123
12-07-16, 20:00
I am sorry for polluting this website with my worries but I have to get these symptoms out there so I can have some hope for reassurance as I am having a really hard time of late.
Quite a while ago I found that my left sided foot muscle between the back of the foot and the arc of the foot is noticeably smaller than the right and its still like that but I don't know if it has but i feel like it has gotten even smaller (noticed a dent which i hadn't before).
In the past I have felt like my left foot is weaker than my right like if I try to balance on it I feel more unstable but can still balance on it for some time and also when focusing on walking it feels weird however of late both feet seem similar. All the time my left foot has twitched quite a lot after I sit down after coming out of the shower (arc) and of late it has started feeling like its constantly going in that muscle but when I look at it to try and see them I often cant. In the same place I recently started having a weird feeling like something is resting there and have also had the feeling of tightness and a little bit of pain in the arc even when waking up and that muscle in particular. Looking at the following links has gotten me worried.
http://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/5874-cramping-up-muscle-soreness.html
http://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/17510-als-very-sore-tired-thigh.html
This has got me freaked out about ALS in particular which I have been focused on for so long now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME ANY REASSURANCE IT WOULD MEAN THE WORLD TO ME AT THIS DIFFICULT TIME

Jamie123
13-07-16, 00:18
Also when i stretch my left foot my little toe moves away from the others whereas on my right it doesnt.

Fishmanpa
13-07-16, 00:35
Also when i stretch my left foot my little toe moves away from the others whereas on my right it doesnt.

:doh: C'mon Jamie! Please.... please get some professional help. Nothing anyone says here or elsewhere is going to help you. It won't reflect on you in a negative way I promise! Truly, based on how you spiral from one fear to the next in a matter of a day, you should really, really consider professional intervention.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-16, 06:35

Yes, mine does that. It's been doing it for decades.

It's how your muscles & tendons are in your body. It's completely normal and demonstrates that you are really scanning your body for problems. The same was evident in your other thread about your lip.

---------- Post added at 06:35 ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 ----------

Tightness in muscles is likely to be muscular tension which is one of the most common symptoms in anxiety disorders.

Having a weaker side of the body is completely normal. If you are right handed, try picking up a dumbbell with heavy weight on it and curling it with good form with your right and then your left. I bet you notice your left form is all over the place and you are quickly swinging the dumbbell.

The same happens with the legs (obviously you won't be curling a dumbbell with good form on either side with them! :biggrin:).

Something PT's are always talking about is how these weaknesses cause injury. It's which they tell people to use dumbbells and body weight training rather than doing everything big with a barbell.

So, notices weaknesses like that is just the product of an anxious mind. You should have weaknesses.

Twitching is also common with anxiety, hypnic jerks as they tend to be known. I've found, as have others, that they are a symptom more associated with higher levels of anxiety. So, you get bad jerks when in very anxious stages and in lesser stages you get more subtle ones.

But everyone has muscle jerks. My mum is in her mid seventies now and she struggles to get many hours sleep in bed so she naps a lot in her chair in front of the TV. She has jerks in her sleep all the time. So, does my dad.

You can't see the spasms but feel them. This tells me they may be more adrenaline based because we get paraesthesia with these conditions e.g. pins & needles, crawling sensations, constant buzzing, etc. You can sit and watch and nothing happens but you can feel them very vividly. In the past I have felt like my hands were shaking but holding them up shows they are fine yet my hands feel like someone is passing an electrical charge through them.

The thing to do is to look at anxiety symptoms to see if they are there. You know you have an anxiety disorder for a start. And don't try to get symptoms to fit what you are afraid of because you will get it wrong because of your Cognitive Distortions. Look at the Sergey guy trying to find symptoms to fit yet they are telling him they aren't the right ones. A doctor doesn't just look at symptoms that fit a list, he/she looks for those that don't match to thus ruling a condition out and this is where HA people struggle.

If you hang around on physical disorders threads you will find a lot of information. Your HA mindset won't cope with that information in the way someone without that theme of anxiety can. For instance, I have no HA elements to mine and I can quite happily sift through a ton brain tumour articles to decide my symptoms are a migraine. I'm immediately discounting all the serious stuff because I know it's garbage to me. Could you do that?

Jamie123
13-07-16, 12:55
:doh: C'mon Jamie! Please.... please get some professional help. Nothing anyone says here or elsewhere is going to help you. It won't reflect on you in a negative way I promise! Truly, based on how you spiral from one fear to the next in a matter of a day, you should really, really consider professional intervention.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts
Its so true but I dont know where to start.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Yes, mine does that. It's been doing it for decades.

It's how your muscles & tendons are in your body. It's completely normal and demonstrates that you are really scanning your body for problems. The same was evident in your other thread about your lip.

---------- Post added at 06:35 ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 ----------

Tightness in muscles is likely to be muscular tension which is one of the most common symptoms in anxiety disorders.

Having a weaker side of the body is completely normal. If you are right handed, try picking up a dumbbell with heavy weight on it and curling it with good form with your right and then your left. I bet you notice your left form is all over the place and you are quickly swinging the dumbbell.

The same happens with the legs (obviously you won't be curling a dumbbell with good form on either side with them! :biggrin:).

Something PT's are always talking about is how these weaknesses cause injury. It's which they tell people to use dumbbells and body weight training rather than doing everything big with a barbell.

So, notices weaknesses like that is just the product of an anxious mind. You should have weaknesses.

Twitching is also common with anxiety, hypnic jerks as they tend to be known. I've found, as have others, that they are a symptom more associated with higher levels of anxiety. So, you get bad jerks when in very anxious stages and in lesser stages you get more subtle ones.

But everyone has muscle jerks. My mum is in her mid seventies now and she struggles to get many hours sleep in bed so she naps a lot in her chair in front of the TV. She has jerks in her sleep all the time. So, does my dad.

You can't see the spasms but feel them. This tells me they may be more adrenaline based because we get paraesthesia with these conditions e.g. pins & needles, crawling sensations, constant buzzing, etc. You can sit and watch and nothing happens but you can feel them very vividly. In the past I have felt like my hands were shaking but holding them up shows they are fine yet my hands feel like someone is passing an electrical charge through them.

The thing to do is to look at anxiety symptoms to see if they are there. You know you have an anxiety disorder for a start. And don't try to get symptoms to fit what you are afraid of because you will get it wrong because of your Cognitive Distortions. Look at the Sergey guy trying to find symptoms to fit yet they are telling him they aren't the right ones. A doctor doesn't just look at symptoms that fit a list, he/she looks for those that don't match to thus ruling a condition out and this is where HA people struggle.

If you hang around on physical disorders threads you will find a lot of information. Your HA mindset won't cope with that information in the way someone without that theme of anxiety can. For instance, I have no HA elements to mine and I can quite happily sift through a ton brain tumour articles to decide my symptoms are a migraine. I'm immediately discounting all the serious stuff because I know it's garbage to me. Could you do that?
You are right mostly for me my mind seems programmed to almost start by convincing myself I have something then trying to disprove it which makes it very easy to become very stressed very quickly.

KeeKee
13-07-16, 13:00

Jamie are you able to visit a gp? They will refer you for professional help.
You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of a lot of people on here have been where you are and I'm sure many get that dreaded feeling (myself included) for such small inconsistencies.
I have one leg bigger than the other, not sure if it's muscle, fat or water but it's definitely bigger. As I've mentioned before and as per my GP's words "we are not meant to be symmetrical".

Fishmanpa
13-07-16, 13:01

You start by printing off a few of your threads and taking them to your doctor. Tell him you're struggling and ask for help. You don't have to explain as the severity of the situation will be apparent just by reading.

I have a daughter your age who suffers from anxiety and depression. She came to me for help. I, along with her mother made sure she got it. With therapy and meds she's doing great now... in fact, graduating the end of the year!

Positive thoughts

Colicab85
13-07-16, 14:39
I would suggest going to the GP for some help with Anxiety, definitely.

I have and I'm feeling a lot lot better, I had around 3 months of pure hell. I'm still not 100% out the water but getting there.

At the time I simply couldn't believe that Anxiety and Depression was the cause but now it seems as though it clearly was and wow, Anxiety is an absolute SHIT

Josh1234
13-07-16, 14:43
Please do not post ALS forum links here ever again. Are you crazy? Do you know how bad that can set people off, reading anecdotal stories about people with ALS? Go to your doctor and have him/her examine your foot.

KeeKee
13-07-16, 14:49
Please do not post ALS forum links here ever again. Are you crazy or stupid? Do you know how bad that can set people off, reading anecdotal stories about people with ALS? Go to your doctor and have him/her examine your foot.

People have the option to click on the link, nobody is forcing them. This is his thread, how offensive asking if he's crazy or stupid. There are many triggers on this health anxiety alone. If things trigger your anxiety that much then you shouldn't be reading peoples posts.

MyNameIsTerry
14-07-16, 05:51
People have the option to click on the link, nobody is forcing them. This is his thread, how offensive asking if he's crazy or stupid. There are many triggers on this health anxiety alone. If things trigger your anxiety that much then you shouldn't be reading peoples posts.

Exactly. And those threads were showing people who didn't have ALS according to the actual sufferers telling them why they didn't.

I can understand the concern but it can be put across without being offensive to the OP.