PDA

View Full Version : Finally booked the dreaded endoscopy

Beth28
13-07-16, 10:33
Finally booked the endoscopy. I had a very bad experience last year. Panic attack and three attempts and uneducated staff dealing with someone who has panic and anxiety. It was the gagging really threw me. I can't take anesthetic because I watched my mother unable to wake up from a procedure. From me looking at my mother not responding and nurses not knowing what to do is something I don't want to happen to me. On the positive note. My mother is good now. :-)
My partner and daughter were annoyed with me as well as the staff. In fact I ran out of the theatre and a nurse said they never seen anything like it.

For months I have been delaying and my symptoms have gotten worse. I could be dying and I have spent a year in fear to go into the next fear. If you know what I mean. So today I phoned up the endoscopy unit and tried to make an appointment.

I am going to practice meditation and gagging. I HAVE to do this. Fear can literally kill you.

Mercime
13-07-16, 10:45
You can do this. It's possible to have it done without sedation - that but is important, you are sedated, not under anaesthetic. Make sure you tell the staff that you have serious anxiety beforehand, I'd suggest ringing the appointments desk and explain to them, they may be able to add something to your records.
It's a quick procedure, not pleasant but not painful. You do have a mouthpiece put in, but that is only to help guide the tube - and nobody will hold you down! You will have a nurse sitting by your head, they can reassure you. Practice breathing, rather than gagging, controlled breathing can help lots.

Autumn4
13-07-16, 10:45
I have had several of these done & colonoscopy. I have bad anxiety also. I had the sedation which isn't the same as anaesthetic. It's great as you just don't realise you have had the procedure. I would highly recommend it !!

Beth28
13-07-16, 11:08
Thank you for your support. The last time I was held down and I was fighting to get that horrible thing out of my body. I don't want to be sedated because of control issues. I have to bite the tube :weep:

I have been told I can have a diazepam before going in. So I'm going for that option...now. Still have issues with even diazepam. I have asked for my headphones for music and distraction. We will see.

Mercime
13-07-16, 11:36
I didn't have sedation either, same reasons. The diazepam might help, but I think the breathing helps more - you can breathe through it while they are checking what needs to be checked.

Less than 10 minutes, and it will be over and you will have answers. X

unsure_about_this
13-07-16, 13:18
Well done for booking it

Beth28
15-07-16, 10:31
My appointment is tomorrow morning. I have practiced breathing and gagging.a I am going to ask if I can have my headphones to meditate to. Because I really am afraid of sedation. I have heard that they can give you diazepam before. We will see.

almamatters
15-07-16, 10:37
My appointment is tomorrow morning. I have practiced breathing and gagging.a I am going to ask if I can have my headphones to meditate to. Because I really am afraid of sedation. I have heard that they can give you diazepam before. We will see.

I'm scared of sedation and requested not to have it during my endoscopy, the proceedure wasn't that bad to be honest and I'm scared of everything! The nurses are really nice especially if they know you are anxious and talk to you all the time, i was even brave enough to look at the screen towards the end. Hope it goes well, sure you'll be fine.

Beth28
16-07-16, 19:40
Had the endoscopy. Consultant promised me it would be over in 4 minutes and it was over in 4 minutes and 32 seconds. The gagging was pretty unpleasant but the procedure was bearable. The team put me at ease from the second I got there.
I had to educate myself that the procedure is only 5 minutes of my life. I had my music on and tried to focus on my breathing. I had three biopsies got the result for one almost immediately. Just to wait for the other 2. Have pictures of my stomach, duodenum and oesophagus which are fascinating, truly :D

pulisa
16-07-16, 20:53
Really well done, Beth! I hope you get all the results very soon and that your mind is put at rest.

Mercime
17-07-16, 09:51
Yay!! Congratulations for getting it done, that's great news.