PDA

View Full Version : Switch to Sertraline?

R1CH
14-07-16, 09:50
Hi All

I'm back again, for those of you that know me!!! :(. I've been on 40mg for about 15 weeks now maybe longer and Ive had some good weeks and some bad weeks. Currently I am suffering with the horrible morning anxiety again, in fact it is lasting throughout the day, again, no reason why!!!! by the end of the day I'm depressed because of this. I am talking to my PDoc about switching to Sertraline as its getting to a point where I think I cant do my job properly again!!!

However that said, Citalopram does work, its worked on me before so I'm not sure why its not this time. I think a lot of it has to do with my thoughts although I cannot identify any thoughts that should be causing this apart from maybe ordering it by dreading the next day. I've just starting some psychotherapy as well although this is liable to take a long time and be very expensive!!!

Does anyone have any experience of switching to sert?

I hope you are all well and keep strong!!

Rich

sollythegolly
14-07-16, 14:56
But are you having counselling as well? Neither Citalopram nor Sertraline are the cure. The counselling will help you re-frame your though processes. The Citalopram or Sertraline will only help to calm you enough to help you think straight.

R1CH
14-07-16, 15:52
Hi,

Yes I have just started Psychotherapy, however I am not really able to think straight some days now, and cannot concentrate, I'm also very emotional. Thats why I think the meds are not quite working for me.

Thanks!

Rich

sollythegolly
14-07-16, 18:04
Assuming that you're on the minimum therapeutic dose of 20mg (or more....), you should be feeling the effects of the SSRI by now. I have been on Sertraline (some years ago) and am currently on 12 weeks of 20mg of Citalopram. Both had much of the same start up side effects that lasted several weeks before starting to subside, and both started to take effect at around the 12 weeks mark.

However, we're all very different and it may take some further time for your meds to kick in. Certainly worth talking to your doctor about it, although I would assume that you would have to tail off the Citalopram before taking the Sertraline. That may be hard to take.

R1CH
14-07-16, 19:45
Hi

Im currently on 40mg of Cit, I have been on numerous ADs over the past 15 years including sert. Citilopram seemed to work for me previously after I was hospitalised (self admitted)

I've had a rough 7 months or so after relapsing, I was started on imipramine which did nothing apart from turn me into a lunatic and then put back on Cit.

Previously the Cit started to work at about 11 - 12 weeks like yourself. I didn't give the sert enough time last time around and I was very bad (just prior to hospitalisation).

I think maybe its time for a med switch, I cant go through this for much longer

Thanks for your reply

Rich