PDA

View Full Version : Please help ? Is Citalipram not going to work ?

Luelle
14-07-16, 12:25
Hello, I've been on citalopram for 4 weeks today and still feel no improvement. I started taking it for anxiety, as I started getting panick attacks again in shops, especially queues, and dreaded getting on the bus again. I have had this anxiety before-dreading parties, buses, or driving for fear I may have a panick attack. I coped well off meds for about 2 years until now. My husband and I have just moved back home. We were living about an hour away before in tied accommodation with his job for 9 month. I had a nice job working nearby but we had to give it all up when he lost his job as we had a row at home, and the neighbours/his colleagues didn't want us there anymore. We had 24 hours to move, and no jobs. I felt strong at first, got on buses to look for work went to shops interviews no problem, but slowly that stated to change. I went to my gp as I had been on citaloptam before at 40mg and it worked well. I got a job a few weeks a go and started the citalopram 20mg for 4 days before I started my new job. I noticed since I took the first dose all I could worry about was starting work, I couldn't switch off at all and felt sick all weekend. Once I started my job I sat down being trained on my first day and couldn't concentrate, blurred vision no appetite and had a very intrusive thought 'saying' hit her'. I tried ignoring it but I felt so scared I was having these thoughts. I got home and cried my eyes out. I convinced myself something was wrong me and decided to quit my job as I felt extremely terrified. This gave me temporary relief that evening but the next day at home I couldn't eat or sleep and my mind was racing constantly. The next day was worse. I thought I was going to kill my husband or my dog. It was more of a what if thought but felt really scary and real. This fear went on for about a week along with no eating or sleeping. I had enough as I thought I was going mad so rang 111. The doc said to come off them immediately but I wasn't sure that was right so rang my gp the next day and she said no you must stick with them. I still wasn't satisfied so went to out of hours 2 days later and saw a really good gp. He advised me to cut down to 10mg for a week, then do 10mg, 20mg, 10mg for a week then go up to 20mg after that. He also gave me lorazepam .5mg to take when I felt highly anxious. I'very been on 20mg for 4 days after increasing. I felt I was getting better last week, but now I'm still having racing, negative thoughts like I won't get better or ever get a job or be normal again. I'm not having harming thoughts anymore, but my brain won't shut up and am finding it hard to concentrate on anything like washing up or showering. I feel so low and that there's no hope for me. Will citalopram work this time round? I was on 40mg fluoxetine then switched to citalopram 40mg after a few weeks a few years a go and stayed on it for about 18months and had only one side effect wich was tiredness. I've started going to councelling so hoping that might help too. Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated. Tia

sollythegolly
14-07-16, 14:54
Four weeks is still quite early on in the treatment. I am currently on week 12 and am only now starting to feel any benefit. Glad to see you're also having counselling. The meds just settle you down. The counselling will help you re-frame your thoughts. It's tough, but you need to hang on in there. It will get better.

Luelle
14-07-16, 15:34
Thank you, that's given me some hope. I just didn't expect to wake up every morning worrying about everything things I don't need to even worry about right now. It lasts up until about 5pm everyday. Driving me insane and has me questioning my own sanity. I feel like im losing control of my own mind.

sollythegolly
14-07-16, 18:11
Right up until about the end of Week 11 I would wake up with feelings of doom and gloom. Had no idea as to what I should be worrying about. Am financially secure, retired, great family and no major life incidents currently ongoing. The health anxieties that I had had been resolved through the various tests that I had - all showing that there was nothing intrinsically wrong with me. So why worry?

I decided that I would set some time aside for worrying. About half an hour just before breakfast. I would scribble down how I felt and any worries that came into my mind. At the end of the half hour, the piece of paper would go into the shredder. When any worries came into my mind for the rest of the day, I would say STOP. Worry time is half an hour just before breakfast. I have no time to worry now, I need to get on and keep busy. It seemed to work for me, but perhaps that particular technique is not for everyone. Try it - It might just help.

Keep the faith, and carry on....