PDA

View Full Version : Static noise, Tinnitus

whatisthis
14-07-16, 16:26
Hi all

Not sure what I'm looking for but I need to get it off my chest and type.

Well I've been doing pretty well for a while until waking up one morning 3 months ago with static in my left ear. Went to the docs and had that ear syringed 3 weeks later as it was blocked and I was told that was the issue. Nope I still had the static noise and apparently the ear drum was dull and had liquid behind it. So referred to the ENT which is next month.

This has been going on 3 months and its driving my anxiety nuts. I rarely went to gigs and stopping going to clubs over 3 years ago and this has suddenly happened. I know its common and doesn't mean anything sinister but I'm really struggling with it. Its like a constant white noise in my ear. GP said it most likely won't go away now and was probably caused by a cold I had before. I've had times in the 3 months where I have probably let it go and not noticed as much. It definitely increases when I get anxious and attached to it.

Tinnitus has always been a fear as I've seen my mum deal with it. I'm using a white noise app to go over it when I sleep. I'm trying my hardest to accept it as I can't fix it with my mind. I do find it very depressing and distracting especially in quiet social areas. Also scared of using my headphones at work now.

How do people cope with this? As I know its very common in varying degrees.

Happydaze*
15-07-16, 10:52
Hi there, iv had tinnitus for 5&1/2 years now. I woke up one morning with this hissing ringing noise in my right ear. I went to the doctors who said I was unlikely to have it long term... Anyway I was 4 months pregnant and told pregnancy can effect your sinuses and that due to being pregnant I would have to wait till my baby was born. Over the years I suffered, tried antihistamines, nasal sprays and none of them worked well. They helped my sinuses but not the ringing. The ringing is worse when I have a cold. I had a ct scan that showed "text book image" basically shower nothing wrong with my sinuses. At the time I was in bits with constant ringing in my right ear and tried white noise apps, cds, mindfulness and even a tinnitus support group but to be honest none of them really helped because ultimately I would listen for the noise and it was always there at night when trying to sleep and in morning.. And anytime of day when quiet. What helped me the most was accepting tinnitus as part of me and using the "so what" attitude! It's still there when I think about it, I can hear it now but after I send this post I'll push it to the back of my mind and get on with things. It doesn't work for everyone but this was the only way for me. It's awful and mines quite loud but it's part of me now and i found worrying only made it seem louder.
Just wish I could adapt the same "I don't care" attitude to anxiety!!

whatisthis
15-07-16, 14:21
Hi there, iv had tinnitus for 5&1/2 years now. I woke up one morning with this hissing ringing noise in my right ear. I went to the doctors who said I was unlikely to have it long term... Anyway I was 4 months pregnant and told pregnancy can effect your sinuses and that due to being pregnant I would have to wait till my baby was born. Over the years I suffered, tried antihistamines, nasal sprays and none of them worked well. They helped my sinuses but not the ringing. The ringing is worse when I have a cold. I had a ct scan that showed "text book image" basically shower nothing wrong with my sinuses. At the time I was in bits with constant ringing in my right ear and tried white noise apps, cds, mindfulness and even a tinnitus support group but to be honest none of them really helped because ultimately I would listen for the noise and it was always there at night when trying to sleep and in morning.. And anytime of day when quiet. What helped me the most was accepting tinnitus as part of me and using the "so what" attitude! It's still there when I think about it, I can hear it now but after I send this post I'll push it to the back of my mind and get on with things. It doesn't work for everyone but this was the only way for me. It's awful and mines quite loud but it's part of me now and i found worrying only made it seem louder.
Just wish I could adapt the same "I don't care" attitude to anxiety!!

Thanks for the reply.

Seems very similar to me apart from the the pregnant bit! I know I will have to accept it ultimately. When I'm calmer and fine with it, it does seem to ease off. I'm anxious of it getting worse and causing me to lose control again. Just when I was doing well as well.

From what I've read most people just accept it but some of us (anxious) really struggle and make it worse than it is. My mum and sister just accept it and get on with life.

Mine gets louder the more I panic about it.

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

Also I've found when I listen to recordings of high pitched tinnitus/noises it makes mine go away after I've turned it off. Comes back after a while, really strange like its tuning it out.