PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a nervous breakdown anymore?

Apple86
15-07-16, 15:55
Is there such a thing as a nervous breakdown anymore? I've read that this is no longer used as a medical term. What is it now known as, or are there different manifestations of it?

I ask because at the moment I feel like the best way to describe the way I'm feeling is that I'm having a nervous breakdown. I believe it's happened due to a build up of work-related stress and having treatment for an eating disorder - it's like my body has said "no more stress, you need rest".

Symptoms:
*constant anxiety which can build to panic attacks (normally about my health)
*weak and shaky limbs
*exhaustion - I want to sleep ALL the time and my head and eyes feel so tired
*confusion
*jumpy - any loud noise, strong smell or unusual taste can make me jump out of my skin
*dizziness and impaired perception of motion (I feel like the world is on a slant/tipping)
*feeling trapped and that I can't cope

I know that these are symptoms of anxiety, but it seems like I need to allow myself time to recover. It's like I need to hit the "reset" button. My GP has advised that I ask for meds from my eating disorders team but I'm hesitant to take medication.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Luelle
15-07-16, 17:28
It's best not to put a label on it, anxiety can manifest in different ways affecting people differently. From my experience, I would try councelling first such as cbt, or hypnosis ? medication can make you feel worse to begin with as im finding out but obviously if you need it then don't be afraid to seek help. I have used proponolol to reduce panicky symptons and it works well but doesn't take the thoughts away. At the moment I'm trying to get out for walks in the day, and do simple tasks at home. I also write my thoughts down on paper to get them out my head. Take warms baths, avoid caffeine, drink camomile tea and try and eat good wholesome foods. And get all the sleeo you can get. You will get better

Apple86
15-07-16, 17:46
Thanks Luelle,

I can't go on propranolol because my pulse and BP are so low. Today the GP prescribed me with Buspirol (I can't remember the exact spelling) to take when I feel the anx building, but this is only an interim measure before the eating disorder team prescribe me something more permanent. I really don't want to take either, but I feel like my poor brain and body need some rest.

I've been told that I'll get CBT after my treatment for eating disorder has finished. At the moment I'm trying meditation and breathing techniques, distraction etc. but it seems to be getting worse. The panic used to occur at work but now it seems to be happening anywhere I am that seems far from home. And even when I'm at home I feel anxious about the anxiety and worried about my partners reaction to yet another conversation about my mental health...

Luelle
15-07-16, 18:43
It sounds like it's worth giving it a go, maybe take one and see how you feel afterwards ? You seem to be doing all the right things. It will pass, and really good your going to get cbt. Hang in there