PDA

View Full Version : Nasal polyp

flumpkin
17-07-16, 21:03
Hi - not been here for a while (as can be a trigger for me) but HA back with a vengeance. I have had a bump - felt like a raised vein in my left nostril on the middle bit for about 6 months, but recently I have felt more like something up my nose and need to blow or wipe it. The bump is now visible if I look up my nose and is like a skin tag. It doesn't hurt or bleed. I decided it was a polyp but knew nothing about it - relieved to see on google that a benign growth and then saw unless in one side only. Mine is only one side and now i am terrified and can't unsee what I have read. Also can you normally see them? Has anyone experience of them especially one side only. I am scared stupid and have spiralled immediately back to my full blown HA obsessive self :( feel like crying.
Love flump X

countrygirl
17-07-16, 21:21
I have a friend who has been plagued by nasal polyps for years and has had many operations. I remember once looking up her nostril and seeing a huge white lump that was a polyp that she had to have removed because it was so big.

The chances of you having a benign polyp are about 99.9% compared with it being a sinister growth in your nose but of course Dr Google only works on worse case scenario!

Go and show it to your Gp who will have seen many nasal polyps and will be able to reassure you. If its causing a problem for you then you can see ent surgeon and they can remove if necessary. Often they try with a steroid nasal spray first to see if this shrinks them before surgery is considered.

KeeKee
17-07-16, 22:16
My partners sibling has had many nasal polyps removed, none sinister. I would say it makes absolutely no difference whether they're in one nostril or both

flumpkin
18-07-16, 11:59
Thanks both. I can't get an appointment until sat with doctor. Do you know what they look like on the people you know with them. Mine is not far up and can see in mirror quite easily. It looks like a little ball shaped skin tag. Constantly feels like my nose is running or I need to wipe it. Trying to distract myself at the minute but there lurking all the time :( xx

flumpkin
19-07-16, 10:32
Unable to wait until Saturday as 2 days in and I am driving myself nuts...so I have made an appointment today (in 30 mins) with a locum. Really worried that it will be bad news or referral for tests which will send my HA spiraling and involve a horrible wait. Have everything crossed for a simple skin tag but such a weird place for it.

Feeling so sick and panicky at the moment. Trying to avoid google and not helping that a friend's dad had skin cancer and they found a growth in nose. I hate this.

love slump xx

POST DRS VISIT: I have an appointment with ENT surgeon a week on Fri for consultation and to see about getting it removed. Dr has said not overly concerned as not irregular shape and not bleeding. xx