PDA

View Full Version : GAD, Agoraphobia, ADHD or Addiction?

Random_Hero
17-07-16, 21:23
So I've never really wrote all this down before or talked about my anxiety fully except for bits and pieces with my wife and dr, but I just want to get to the bottom of it and see what you guys think on here. Need to get his under control and get my life back.
Also I'm not the best at long paragraphs and grammar so bear with me!

My main issue is with leaving the house, driving and being stuck in traffic or going out anywhere that is different from my normal routine. I can take trips into town during the day for shopping or meals although I feel a little uncomfortable, main concerns are if there's no parking spaces or getting stuck trying to find one and trying caught in traffic, and going for food where it's busy, hot and I get a bright red face feeling hot and faint also.

Also holidays rarely happen, I put them off or cancel altogether, the closer it gets to the date the more I panic about being away that far from home. This is a main concern as my wife is missing out on these also, I did pluck up the courage to leave the country for our honeymoon last year, with a lot of propranolol from the dr.
This is the same for long drives too, even just a few hours travel, always feel worse before the trip about these things.

So I thought with leaving the house, travelling, etc that this could agoraphobia, but as I hate getting into confrontations, fights and debates and keep quiet, that it might just be general anxiety.
The other thing is that I play video games a lot! like many hours a day, it's a great escape for me and calms me down. Even at work, as I'm at a desk, I can browse game news sites and forums and even play mini games to get me through the day. Because of this, when I'm out the house and unable to do these things, I get very restless and need to go home to play them, and I wonder is that the reason that brings on my panicking? Not because I'm stuck in traffic which is scary, but because I know I can't play video games.
So could this be an addiction problem?

Again due to my low attention span and other symptoms that match after researching online, I does seem like ADD or ADHD, and video games are a good escape for this due to all the interactions, sounds and colours and story taking me in and making me feel better.
Hah I don't know, so much going on!

But I don't seem to have actual panic attacks that often anymore, I'm getting used to them but I still don't want them to happen or the feelings that come with them. But that could be due to me staying in doors a lot more, and moving closer to work and avoiding busy roads.

I've still got loads more details and info to talk about but I think I've rambled on too much for now. Let me know what you all think and help me leave the house again! Thanks all :)

NoPoet
17-07-16, 23:51
Agoraphobia is more of a fear of what will happen to you when you're away from a safe place, ie fear of panic attacks, bad thoughts, illness etc. It seems that your anxiety is very connected to your thoughts, so maybe there's a part of you that believes you cannot cope and this is why you feel anxious - you feel you don't have any security, anything to hold onto, unless you're at home?

Playing games is a very safe ordered, logical thing with immediate rewards. It's very attention grabbing and takes you away from your everyday life. You can largely control what happens in games. You are distracted from your thoughts.

Over thinking is a typical symptom of anxiety. If your thoughts are constantly tumbling, racing, all trying to burst out at once - if you are thinking multiple things at once - if you struggle to sit down and focus, those may be traits of adhd.

Do you play world of tanks by any chance?

Random_Hero
18-07-16, 07:28
Oh I see, I did play for a little while but it's very repetitive and the rounds go on for too long. I mainly play rpg's and swap between games every hour or so when I start to get bored and restless.

NoPoet
18-07-16, 12:43
You may have adhd traits then as I tend to get bored, restless and frustrated very oftn. I'm diagnosed with adhd, among other things.

How are you with impulsive behaviour such as spending money, sitting still, keeping quiet, letting people finish their sentences etc?

Random_Hero
18-07-16, 16:13
I have brought up add with the dr before but he says to address my anxiety issues first, but I'm coming to realise that my anxiety is caused by that.
Spending wise, I can't stop buying games in sales and deals, almost everyday. And I've resorted to online food shopping due to deals and new products which I always buy lol.
I can not sit still at all, it used to keep me up at night because lying there trying to sleep was boring and restless. I'm naturally a shy guy but when I get into a convo and people are taking about things I like then I tend to butt in, usually before people stop talking, then I feel bad hah.

Random_Hero
20-07-16, 13:58
You still around Poet? :)