PDA

View Full Version : Losing My Mind Over Dermatofibroma!

JosieLouise
18-07-16, 12:15
Hello. So today I went to my GP about a small skin growth I've had for at least a year (probably closer to two) which until recently didn't cause me very much anxiety. But due to my Grandad being very ill with the Big C I've been living in panic for the past week so decided to get it checked out...

GP said it was probably a dermatofibroma (which is what I'd already self-diagnosed myself with anyway, woo) but he wasn't 100% sure so referred me on.

This is possibly the worst thing I could have heard!

Why is he not sure? What else could it be? I'm now facing weeks of untold anxiety over this. My rational mind is telling me he wouldn't have giving me the diagnosis of dermatofibroma if he wasn't pretty certain.... but my mind doesn't accept 'pretty' certain. It's been less than an hour and I'm already losing my mind.

snowflake293
18-07-16, 12:24
Hi there

Sorry to hear you are feeling so anxious and I am so sorry to hear about your Grandad being ill too *hugs* xx

With regard to your skin growth, no dr can ever be 100% sure about anything so even if he is like, 99.99% certain they still can't say for sure. It doesn't mean its going to be anything sinister and chances are it is totally benign. It is more than your drs job is worth not to double check. Hope that helps?

I used to have massive skin cancer fears (it was like an obsession) and almost had a break down over it. I've had CBT and its really helped me. Have you spoken to your Dr about how anxious it is making you feel?

Hope your mind is put at rest soon xx

Fishmanpa
18-07-16, 12:26
Even if it is, it's a very common and "benign" skin issue.

Sending positive thoughts to your Grandfather... from one warrior/survivor to another.

Positive thoughts

JosieLouise
18-07-16, 12:30
I used to have massive skin cancer fears (it was like an obsession) and almost had a break down over it. I've had CBT and its really helped me. Have you spoken to your Dr about how anxious it is making you feel?

Thank you for replying so quickly! I'm officially diagnosed with Hypochondriasis Disorder (I think it's called Illness Anxiety Disorder now) but it's been relatively dormant up until the last few months. Maybe when this growth thing is sorted I'll go back and talk about it. x

NancyW
18-07-16, 12:45
I have a dermatafibroma my wrist. It was growing looking pretty ugly. Went to a dermatologist, she froze it 3 times. It's much flatter now, but she says it will always be there.

She didn't even recommend cutting it out, scar would br bigger then the dermatafibroma.