PDA

View Full Version : Severe brain fog

lg123
18-07-16, 16:32
I've posted on here about weird thoughts I've had, with the latest being that I would lose my ability to understand what people say.

I genuinely believed this was an anxiety thing as I had ear problems that were made worse by the nurse and I was really scared about ever hearing again. I thought it all came from anxiety. Until about an hour ago.

I've had a bit of a foggy brain today in general, but then in the afternoon I panicked as I felt this had got a lot worse (I had a thick tongue and was stumbling over words). Now I feel like this brain fog has just become extreme. I don't feel like I can use my brain properly - I can't concentrate on anything, and even speaking is an effort. I haven't got the power to concentrate on conversations so I can make sure that I can understand them.

I've never felt like this before and I'm so scared this is a serious condition. It's like my brain is frozen. The weird (and even more scary) thing is that my body doesn't feel anxious at all. I don't have a racing heartbeat or any typical anxiety symptoms. This is scaring me even more. I assume now that this must be something physical and that soon I won't be able to understand people or speak. I had to cancel a phone call at work as I couldn't concentrate at all on what I was doing.

I've only had anxiety for a week and yesterday was a pretty good day so this doesn't make sense at all. I guess that's why I'm assuming it's something physical. It's really horrible to experience. I guess I am too focused on my anxiety at the moment, but it's just this new symptom has scared me.

Bearinmind
19-07-16, 14:25
Anxiety produces symptoms even when you're calm, it's what makes a generalized anxiety rather than a panic attack. There have been times I felt cognitive loss when I was calm, swollen tongue as well. In my case, it was a nutrient deficiency, it went back to somewhat normal after I went to the ER and got some intravenous vitamins and minerals.

However, if it's bothering you so much, it's worth checking out. But I would like to say that most (and really serious) causes of cognitive loss are persistent. Persistent in the sense that they don't come and go, they're very constant, so even typing a post like would feel like a gigantic effort. There are pathological causes for cognitive loss that come and go, but they're not life threatening. Go check it out.

My guess it's that is a nutrient deficiency. Tongue swelling (but no pain, no thick white film, no blips) is a very good sign of nutrient deficiency, B complex vitamins more specifically.