PDA

View Full Version : Congestive heart failure?!

Appa Yip Yip
18-07-16, 18:15
So I've been having progressively worsening swollen ankles for about a week now. They're even a little swollen when I get out of bed in the morning. Then 4 days ago I woke up to veins hugely bulging in my feet, legs, arms, and hands. That same morning in the shower I was just standing there and had a couple seconds of stars in my vision. A minute later I felt shaky and fatigued. The veins bulging is not getting better and I think the ankle swelling is getting worse. I have felt brief periods of fatigue, lightheadedness, and shortness of breath today too.

Yesterday I broke down and went to urgent care and everything checked out ok. BP is good. But the NP mentioned in passing congestive heart failure and I've been kinda freaking out. I have an appt with my regular doctor today but I am so worried it's heart failure or something else serious. It has been really hot and humid lately but I've been outside all summer without these symptoms, and my energy is normally great so these other symptoms are scaring me too.

Please someone help :(

countrygirl
18-07-16, 18:34
What was mentioned is worse case scenario and there are loads of other reasons that could apply rather than this one. Obviously they have to do their job and need to rule this out for you.

Dehydration and overworked kidneys can give you swollen ankles as well so maybe up your fluid intake and try and sit with your legs up whenever you can to see if it helps while you wait for appt/tests.

Appa Yip Yip
18-07-16, 20:17
Thanks, countrygirl. It does go away when I elevate my feet but the minute I stand again it comes right back. I've only ever seen my ankles this swollen late in pregnancy so it's really freaking me out. My hands and fingers are a little swollen too.:unsure:

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

I know dehydration can cause swollen ankles but I don't think it could cause veins bulging all over the place. :(

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Anyone else? :(

Appa Yip Yip
19-07-16, 16:43
Ok I'm sorry but I'm still freaking out. Veins were BULGING immediately upon waking this morning, swollen ankles (which are worse now). I know it CANNOT be normal to wake up with feet like this after lying down all night. When I flex or extend my ankles it hurts a little from the swelling.

I saw my doctor yesterday and she wasn't terribly concerned about CHF but didn't know quite what to make of it. She said maybe the humidity or hormones, but recommended I see a cardiologist just to be sure (OMG). I made an appt with a cardiologist for 3 days from now but I kinda wanna go to the ER. I'm so afraid something is terribly wrong and I'm gonna keel over in front of my little boy before Friday. OMG so so scared. 😭 :weep:

Appa Yip Yip
19-07-16, 16:45
Here is a picture of my feet right after getting out of bed.