PDA

View Full Version : Can't breathe when falling asleep!

AnxiousLife
19-07-16, 14:05
Hi everyone,

I have been having a sleep issue that is starting to concern me. In the past, I would occasionally have spells where I would wake up in the middle of the night with a fast HR, sweating, etc. Figured it was anxiety and let it go. Lately I have been having episodes where I feel a little short of breath as I am trying to go to sleep, but as soon as I get into a deep sleep I wake up feeling as though I have stopped breathing. My heart rate isn't typically fast at first, but after this happens 6 or 7 times, it gets faster and harder for me to breathe. It does not happen every night and seems to come and go every couple weeks. Last night, however, I was awake until 3am with these episodes. It almost feels like a panicky feeling as I am waking up, but I don't feel particularly anxious.

I do have acid reflux and asthma, which I thought may be contributing to the problem, but I have had these for YEARS and never had anything like this happen. The only new thing I can think if is I started taking Metformin for PCOS about 6 weeks ago. Not sure why that would cause this, though. I am worried it could be ah heart-related issue? Unfortunately I googled and it said this can be a symptom of heart disease.

Anyway, if any of you have experienced something like this or have any idea, I would really appreciate it! It's definitely affecting my sleep when it happens and I am exhausted the next day.

Colicab85
19-07-16, 14:42
Sleep apnoea

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/pages/introduction.aspx

AnxiousLife
19-07-16, 16:47
It says there that you typically don't remember episodes of sleep apnea... This wakes me fully

Appa Yip Yip
20-07-16, 00:50
It does sound a little bit like sleep apnea. Reflux might make you feel like you're having trouble breathing too. Or it could just be anxiety. I think it wouldn't hurt to see your doctor to discuss it, but I don't think it's serious.