PDA

View Full Version : Jerking/twitching

nachx3
19-03-07, 21:43
Still getting a funny head now & again but have noticed a new sympton that I am getting worked up about.
I seem to be twitching/jerking alot. In no particular common place.
The more I think about it the worse it gets.

Is this anxiety related. However I don't feel anxious or didn't until this started.

Keep thinking its something serious like the onset of Huntingdons or related to the funny head I keep getting ie Brain tumour.

:shrug:
Help

nomorepanic
19-03-07, 22:32
This is from the Symptoms web page on the left...

Muscles, muscle tension, stiffness, muscle twitching, tight scalp or neck

What you feel:

You feel like your muscles are always tight or strained, sometimes to the point of frequent pain, or even persistent and ongoing pain. Some may also find the pain so restricting and debilitating that it prevents physical activity, and sometimes to the point of becoming bed ridden. It's also common to experience pain or cramps in any of the body's muscles.

A particular joint in your body feels unusually stiff and sore, or hard to move. It may even feel arthritic. Sometimes you feel you may be ‘seizing up’.

For no apparent reason, a particular muscle will begin to twitch. This twitching will continue for an unusual amount of time before it stops of its own accord. Sometimes it twitches so long it becomes sore, and may continue on and off for days.

You may feel that your scalp is sore, has shooting pains, or that the back of your neck and head are very tense. Even though there is no apparent reason for this, they continue to.

What causes this:

Stress biology causes muscles to contract (tighten) so that the body is more resilient to an attack. The higher the stress biology, the more tense the muscles will be. Some people experience mild tenseness while others may experience great pain, sometimes to the point of immobility. Others experience uncontrollable muscle twitching. It can be one particular muscle over and over again, or it can be a wide variety of muscles. Sometimes the twitching can last for days.

Regular exercise helps to keep tight muscles relaxed. Some find relief through massage therapy or warm baths.

As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.

xBettyBoopx
20-03-07, 00:05
Hi natch

I get muscle twitches a lot. I didn't think that anxiety caused it, but I like you, would become anxious when I got it. I can have 3 or 4 going at the same time!!!!! It's horrible but not painful, makes me more anxious if the twitch is in my stomach or chest. The explanation from nicola says it all. A lot of times we just don't realise how tense we are, it's just yet another symptom of tension/anxiety. The twitching will go eventually, but like all other symptoms we just have to accept it for the time being. I know a lot of anxiety sufferers who have it. OOwer now I've got one going on in my foot!! How strange, lol.
Take care
Elspeth

PinkLady
20-03-07, 13:00
Normal part of anxiety. Claire Weeks has a quote in her book for a patient that has said he is over the worry but his stomach was still turning. She made a good point that he wasn't because not only was he still having it but still recognizing it. Sometime we observe one symptom and worry about that one and it seems to stay until another one comes along.
I have had the muscle twitching, I do have the tension and right now am doing acupuncture to loosen those muscles. My eye twitched for two weeks. After going to the doctors and postings here and tons of worry, One convinced it was stress - it went away - called fear of the unknown.

Hope it leaves you very soon.
remember the mind is a powerful thing,

nell1965
20-03-07, 18:05
Yep agree with the others,also had that symptom.
the explaination nic gave you will hopefully help.