PDA

View Full Version : Feeling pretty damn good

mrose
20-07-16, 17:00
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've last posted something. It's also been a while since I've checked out this forum (which is a good thing). I must say that I've been doing pretty well lately. Went on a 3 week vacation in France which was totally awesome. I did feel the anxiety and intruisive thoughts sometimes but I was able to handle them quite easiliy. I've read the book At Last a Life by Paul David in the car which has helped tremendously. When I got back, which is a little over 2 weeks now, I felt a bit worse again but nothing really major.

Still I've decided together with my Pdoc that we would give 40mg a shot. (I was on 30mg for approx 10 weeks I suppose). When I started Citalopram I was really anxious about having to go up a max dose. I thought max dosage was only for people that were really messed up hehe. But now I don't really mind as long as it helps me. Also considering that doses up to 80mg were quite 'common' until recent research revealed possible cardiac issues among the elderly. Also my Pdoc was very easy on this issue. She told me she thinks the 30mg should do it, but we can always try 40, and if its too much we can easiliy drop down again. So yeah now 2 days in 40mg and feeling pretty elated.

So yeah I've gotten some renewed faith in Citalopram. I think this last increase will help me over the final hurdle. As I feel really close to 100% recovered now. (Disclaimer: I am also having sessions with a klinical psychologist. As everyone knows, recovery is a combination of medications and therapy).

Keep you posted!

Victory2016
20-07-16, 17:15
Yeaaaaaaa good news!! Keep us updated on how you are doing :yahoo::yesyes:

Mojo61
20-07-16, 17:19
Fantastic news - gives us all hope! Well done you :yesyes:

pollynewsome
20-07-16, 19:29
That is fab news. X

Victory2016
20-07-16, 19:41
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've last posted something. It's also been a while since I've checked out this forum (which is a good thing). I must say that I've been doing pretty well lately. Went on a 3 week vacation in France which was totally awesome. I did feel the anxiety and intruisive thoughts sometimes but I was able to handle them quite easiliy. I've read the book At Last a Life by Paul David in the car which has helped tremendously. When I got back, which is a little over 2 weeks now, I felt a bit worse again but nothing really major.

Still I've decided together with my Pdoc that we would give 40mg a shot. (I was on 30mg for approx 10 weeks I suppose). When I started Citalopram I was really anxious about having to go up a max dose. I thought max dosage was only for people that were really messed up hehe. But now I don't really mind as long as it helps me. Also considering that doses up to 80mg were quite 'common' until recent research revealed possible cardiac issues among the elderly. Also my Pdoc was very easy on this issue. She told me she thinks the 30mg should do it, but we can always try 40, and if its too much we can easiliy drop down again. So yeah now 2 days in 40mg and feeling pretty elated.

So yeah I've gotten some renewed faith in Citalopram. I think this last increase will help me over the final hurdle. As I feel really close to 100% recovered now. (Disclaimer: I am also having sessions with a klinical psychologist. As everyone knows, recovery is a combination of medications and therapy).

Keep you posted!

Just curious how many weeks between each increase did you start to stabilize

mrose
20-07-16, 21:40
Hey Victory,

I'll try to answer your question. Before Citalopram I had been on 15mg of Mirtazapine which seemed to help after 2 weeks but in the 3rd week things went downhill very rapid. I got suicidal thoughts and every minute felt like one hour. So after 4 weeks I was switched to 20mg of Citalopram. I never had any psysical side-effects but the first 3 weeks were mentally draining. My thoughts were racing which meant I couldn't sleep without sleeping pills. I slowly started to stabilize. The morning anxiety faded and I was able to cut down my dosage of Diazepam to almost zero. At this point I knew the Citalopram was working but my mood was still low. Depression has never been my main problem but on 20mg I did feel depressed (I guess, don't really know the feeling). I was never physically tired of life or anything, I was just mentally exhausted by the situation.

So I was upped to 30mg hoping this would lift my spirits to pre-anxiety levels. I was told after 6 weeks one can really assess the increased dose. My vacation started on week 6 of 30mg so it took a little longer before I assessed the situation with my pdoc. That assesment was 2 days ago. And now I feel quite allright but like I mentioned. I think the 40mg will help me pass that Final hurdle.

I hope this helps. I'll gladly answer any questions you have left.

pollynewsome
21-07-16, 17:24
Hi Mrrose.. its a great positive post. I have been on 20mg for 14 weeks and a week on 25mg.. docs yesterday and she wants me to go to 40mg but too scared to so im going to go up to 30mg and see how i feel, Not feeling it at all today.. She did say and im not sure how true this is but if you suffer quite badly with side affects then the likelihood of recovering fully are pretty high.. Anyways she also said it take a further 6-8 weeks for the new dose to settle.. grrrrrr

Debs21uk
22-07-16, 19:05
Hi,

I've heard that too about actual increased anxiety shows that it is targeting the area which will be targeted by the drugs. Unfortunately I had the awful anxiety and just stopped it as I felt I was getting worse rather than better. My doctor messed about with my dose so I'm trying to stabilise before seeing a psychiatrist (privately) for better advice. Citalopram has worked really well for me for 12yrs but I don't know where I stand right now as I've been messed about so much. I would love for it to work again but not sure how the land lies!