PDA

View Full Version : Labyrinthtis!!

Danuella
20-03-07, 00:33
Hi RLR,
Firstly thankyou so much for taking the time to answers peoples questions,its really very lovely that you are doing this for us all.
Anyway when i was 14 i had Labyrinthtis (i didnt know this at the time,only found out Dec 2006 when i asked the doc)I'm 28 this year
Having the Labs caused me to suffer a breakdown,agoraphobia,chronic anxiety and panic disorder,it was made worse by the fact i didnt know what i had and i was very very scared and the vertigo still terrifies me to this day which is what my anxiety circles round.
Since i've found out that it was Labyrinthtis i am now terrifed that i will catch it again.
I was never given any medication just left to it i never saw an ENT for this but i do have hearing loss in my right ear since the Labs.
What are my chances of ever catching this awful illness again as i am just so scared of this my whole life seems to centre on it.Also could you please explain a little bit about Labs ,ie how do you catch it,can i do anything to not catch it..Also i plan to start having children soon and am terrified it may trigger something and bring it back.
I'm so sorry to ramble but this awful illness is the reason i am like i am today!!
Thankyou so much.
xx

RLR
20-03-07, 12:38
Okay, first of all, the posting directly above is entirely incorrect. We treat inner ear infections consistently with a great deal of success. Secondly, Labrinthitis is not an inner ear infection of any type whatsoever. Labyrinthitis is an inflammation or dysfunction of the vestibular labyrinth (a system of intercommunicating cavities and canals in the inner ear.) While Labyrinthitis can arise subsequent to viral invasion, it is not an infection in of itself but rather an inflammatory process.

Responses to questions on this particular forum are for qualified physicians and not the general forum audience. Please take note.

Now to your question Danuella,

You can relax. I would find it doubtful that it will re-emerge since we typically only see recurrance within a five-year period. There are several variants as well, idopathic and viral neurolabrinthitis, that we see, the first far more common than the latter. Self-resolution is usually the normal course of the condition and it is rarely associated with a serious outcome except where underlying disorders are present. You don't fit into this category and it's not typically something that you "catch." Risk factors include trauma, drug ingestion, predisposing viral infection, cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease and perilymphatic fistula.

My advice here is to put this matter behind you and look forward to having children. You're going to be fine. Many patients with childhood experiences of illness develop subsequent apprehension and fear based upon their perception of the illness as a child, which can oftentimes be traumatic. It's important to place things in proper perspective and understand the disparity between how things are rationalized as an adolescent versus your present day understanding.

nomorepanic
20-03-07, 13:15
Responses to questions on this particular forum are for qualified physicians and not the general forum audience. Please take note.

RLR - Alex has nearly completed an add-one that we will use here if anyone posts and it will warn them.

xBettyBoopx
21-03-07, 04:23
I apologise for posting and I have deleted it, I did not see the 'These will be answered by qualified physians'. I was only trying to help! However, the response I gave was what was told to me by my doctor when I had it.
Elspeth

sickandtired
25-05-12, 19:17
ive just been diagnosed with Labrinthitis and been prescribed Beta histine dihydrochloride
Im going away next weekend to a family reunion which will include alchohol.....but it says it may cause a reaction with these tablets....yet when I googled it said 'no reported reactions with alcohol' ....could i take the tablets until next weekend and miss 3 days.....or is this a course?? im really miffed as Ive been looking forward to this for months

joy
26-05-12, 13:55
Why dont you ask a pharmacist. If you cant get to one just ring the nearest Boots

Love Joy