PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis

baza
08-10-04, 14:20
Whats peoples view on using cannabis to relax?

Has anyone used or using it?
I know it gets a lot of bad press as possibly causing anxiety/panic but i find using it at night beore i go to bed helps me get a good nights sleep.

Good or bad, id like to hear your views

Baz

sarah
08-10-04, 15:20
Hiya Baz

I have a family member who uses cannabis a lot to relax him.
When I first started getting panic attacks he kept telling me I should have a joint to calm me down. I refused saying my head was mashed enough without taking anything else.
I also told him that cannibis can lead to panic/anxiety and paranoia.
Lo and behold, 2 years down the line im just about panic free and he has confessed to me last week that he keeps getting panic attacks and periods of hot sweats and feels faint and dizzy. (they are increasing with his use and he wont see the connection).

My advice....DONT use it..long term use can be detrimental.
Theres loads of other ways to relax mate that are better for you and cheaper too...lol

take care
Love Sarah
xx

tara
08-10-04, 15:34
Hi , I was a regular cannabis user from when i was 20, i smoked all day everyday!! I was fine using it at home and at my friends home but as soon as I needed to go somewhere or somebody knocked at my door I would get all panicky and shake (although at the time i didn't know i had anxiety it has only been diagnosed for a year and i'm 30 now ). I only gave it up about 2 years ago and i would never use it again!!!! It makes me very paranoid and anxious, also i cannot be aroud people who are smoking it hence I no longer have my friends, although this isn't a bad thing as their lifestyles are not what i want to be involved in. I am now drug free and alcohol free (apart from my meds lol) Tara x

minny
08-10-04, 15:48
Well done Tara! :)

Although Im not a fan of its recreational use, there is no argument that sufferers from various forms of progressed cancer, MS or any other debilitating ilness can benefit from cannabis if its used as regulated pain relief. Some people prefer to seek natural remedies.

On the other hand though, I have seen the damage that consistent recreational use can do. It can induce paranoia, depression and in some cases (not all) lead to the use of harder drugs.

Each to their own I say!

Minny xx

twister
08-10-04, 20:39
My view is that if you are predisposed to anxiety then perhaps regular smoking of it would not be ideal. On the other hand, just today I was reading an article in a psychology journal (for my course) which has shown that cannabis smoking and other recreational drugs such as cocaine have no effect on whether people will develop a panic disorder - wheras opiates and sedatives do.

So......I suppose it is really up to you to decide whether it is worth the risk that it will make your anxiety worse or whether its benefits to you outweigh this.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

ed
08-10-04, 21:52
hi Baz,
Good question...well, as may may have noticed opinion does sway toward the negative side. I would say that everyone is different and certainly cannabis doesnt agree with everyone.
With some people though, it can be used in a beneficial way, either for medicinal or recreational use. Of course, too much of anything is bad for you, moderation is the key to any pleasure!
So if you think it helps you sleep there's nothing wrong with that. From my own experiences I'd say cannabis accentuates your mood and emotions, so if you're feeling anxious or panicky, smoking will just make it worse. On the other hand, if you feel good, happy, relaxed, it will increase these emotions.
I personally do smoke, and do feel it helps me relax, but some friends of mine have stopped smoking because of negative side-effects.
I guess ultimately only you know whether it's helping or not!

ed

'nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm'

another_adam
09-10-04, 00:25
My opinion is similar to eds.

I toke during weekends, because i never have very much planned and its a good way to escape reality for a few days. Im hopeing to change that soon.

kate
09-10-04, 08:06
Wouldn't ever take it myself, to be honest, would be too scared about how it would make me feel.

A lot of the students at the college where I used to work, smoked it quite openly, on a regular basis, and several of them quite blatantly were affected by it on a paranoia basis.

Just my own view on it!! [8)]

Kate x

tara
09-10-04, 09:42
Hi I do feel that we reformed drug and alcohol users are the worst, i always have so much to say about people who use drugs and drink excessive alcohol LOL I won't say it on here !!! LOL Tara xx

Rennie1989
09-10-04, 13:34
hiya

i thought cannabis was an illegal drug or wa that crack?

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

another_adam
09-10-04, 15:25
there both illegal scootergirl, but crack is a class A drug and cannabis is C and legal in some countrys (basically less harmful)

nomorepanic
09-10-04, 19:01
I have read a lot of posts on here from people that say drugs have made their panic worse so my opinion may be one-sided.

I have no issues about people smoking it - it is their choice but personally I am sure that it could aggrevate anxiety.

I don't sleep very well atall so perhaps I should smoke some! (only kidding).

It is your choice and no-one on here will condone you for smoking it, we are all open-minded people.

Nicola

twister
09-10-04, 20:17
Nicole - I think you meant 'noone will condemn you'!

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

nomorepanic
09-10-04, 20:34
Yeah Em and that

What is with the Nicole - have I gone french lol. [:P]

I know you like to correct English lol. The word sounded good to me though. I know what I meant ;)

Nicola

baza
09-10-04, 20:38
perhaps shes just smoked some and is a little confused

rachel1010
25-03-12, 23:23
Cannabis is great (well i thought) I use to use it on a daily basic since I was 15, up until a month ago. Only now looking back at all my issuses and prblems Ive had it has just made every thing worse you just find yur self trying to chase your 1st highs where every thing is great. Only now I find My self being able to start dealing with my problems in stead of just kidding myself everything will be ok. now finding that myself and my partner are in £3000 debt both without jobs is awful taste of the real laity I just didnt want to face. when things get bad I use to just run away and go on big a week to 10day drinking binges leaving every1 worrying about me, I stupidly thought as i was useless to every1 if i run away and loose contact with the peple who cared for me and I cared about it would be better for every1 when really it just makes every thing worse. OOOO sorry Im going on has any 1 else out their been like me????

eight days a week
26-03-12, 00:45
Interesting to see this thread pop up. Medical cannabis cards are now issued by doctors in the States (10 or so States so far) for conditions like anxiety, depression, and pain relief. I've looked into it quite a lot because I'm a big believer in herbal medicines, and have a lot of friends in America, some of whom have told me about it. It's showing good results for cancer, and presently being studied a LOT more for that in particular.

If anyone is thinking of trying this though, you must be very careful indeed. There are huge dangers associated with street cannabis in the UK - much of it is low quality, naturally harmful to smoke because of contaminants, or even laced with very poisonous substances (to increase the weight or perceived strength).

Even if you can get cannabis that you are sure is high quality and not adulterated, there are other, very important, things to think about. THC is the chemical part of the plant that most 'stoners' are interested in, the bit that gets you high. As a result for years the 'holy grail' for growers has been producing plants with the highest possible THC (I am sure most people have heard of 'skunk').

However there is another chemical in cannabis that may be just as important (or for people with anxiety, or pain from illness, very much more important) and that is called CBD. CBD (as I understand it) in many ways counteracts the effects of THC. You don't get as 'high' and so the recent history of cannabis growing seems to have been focused on increasing THC while reducing CBD.

The problem with this is that the CBD is needed - it's in the plant for a reason! It works to counteract the THC and 'balance' things out. The strains of cannabis that have been in the news now for years for increasing anxiety and psychosis in people are the high THC strains, which are low in CBD. From Wikipedia about CBD:

Medically, it has been shown to relieve convulsion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convulsion), inflammation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammation), anxiety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety), and nausea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausea), as well as inhibit cancer cell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_cell) growth.

I would urge anyone interested in even trying cannabis for anxiety or depression to firstly make sure they have a very trusted source for quality purposes. Secondly I would ask them to find out what strain the plant is, and research online about THC and CBD levels. The higher the CBD the better (if I have all this correct, but don't trust me for something so important - this is only my own conclusion - research for yourselves). There are many medical websites now it seems where they list this kind of information.

I had a very elderly relative who was very, very dear to me. One of the last times I saw her she asked me about cannabis (looking back I think she must have easily noticed I smoked it as a teenager). She was bed-bound for five years, and had carers round four or five times a day to care for her personal needs. I understand now that when she asked me about it (no doubt she tried it in the swinging London of the 60s) she was just looking for some pain relief, or relief from the misery she was locked into, day after day in that bed for so many years. Sadly, and very regrettably, I was too embarrassed and brushed the conversation off. I don't think cannabis is suitable for everyone (far from it, especially with the risks of much of the poisonous stuff that is sold on the streets) but looking back, and especially with the extra I know now, I wish I'd moved heaven and earth to find her a little medical cannabis of guaranteed quality, just to see if it helped.

citalofamalam
13-04-12, 19:47
i was smoking very often at 16 and 17 [im now 19], i was a nervous recluse before i started and not much changed. i think paranoia and such is overblown, i have large dry spells without weed and feel just as paranoid and intense as i would if i was getting stoned the whole week. the only time it did effect paranoia noticeably is when i was in college me and some mates would go smoke it at lunchtimes - strong skunk stuff too - i was basically concerned with my self worth as i was far from the alpha male in the group, so i didnt want to whitey, also was concerned about tutors noticing i was stoned. dont read too much into me, but i think cannabis is a decent drug, especially by yourself, so much fun with music or whatever you fancyin the privacy of your own home. however its main downside for me at least was counter-productiveness/laziness, so thats why i have no plans to use it again in the near future, as i am currently in a phase of trying to improve my life longterm. hope this helped anybody

eight days a week
13-04-12, 20:29
I should have said in my last post, that of course cannabis carries risks with the police that you should be very mindful of if you even consider it. It is a class B 'drug' which makes it quite serious (if the police want to make it so), but for possession of small amounts you may escape with just a verbal warning.

Professor David Nutt used to be the government's 'drug czar' until he said some things they didn't like, such as cannabis is not the demon drug they make it out to be. Then they sacked him.

He gave a lecture where he explained why cannabis had been reclassified from a class C drug (the same as being caught having diazepam, for example, in your pocket without a prescription) to a class B (the same as very nasty and very harmful chemicals like amphetamine). He said it was just because if the police find you with cannabis it means, as a class B drug, they can then search your home. With a class C drug they can't. So, if you follow what he says, it's just a political move to give the police more power.

This doesn't mean it's right for people, and I'm sure for some it will do more harm than good*. For some people I am sure it will help, but again I cannot stress enough that you would need to find a carefully-grown product that is free from contaminants, and also suits your needs in terms of CBD and THC levels. But it does show the absolute nonsense when one of the leading experts on its effects in the world was employed by the government to lead its policy, and then as soon as he doesn't say what they want him to they sack him...

* Just the same as very many prescription medicines.

citalofamalam
13-04-12, 20:44
it's also worth mentioning that it should be seen as recreational, fun substance. once you have 'the spliff to get you to sleep' a few times, you're wandering into dependency territory. cannabis is chemically not very addictive - a fraction as much as alcohol, and this obviously applies to booze too - , but it's dangerous to get into habitually, in a similar context to fatty foods.
i know very well, somehow your bedtime joint before you sleep gets taken away for whatever reason, the stress is huge and your sleep would probably worsen in the long run. again, it's not as simple as nicotine withdrawal and such, it's just that mental dependence from it, so i'd personally avoid it in habitual context, if you're somewhat insecure in life at the moment.

eight days a week
13-04-12, 21:00
it's also worth mentioning that it should be seen as recreational, fun substance. once you have 'the spliff to get you to sleep' a few times, you're wandering into dependency territory. cannabis is chemically not very addictive - a fraction as much as alcohol, and this obviously applies to booze too - , but it's dangerous to get into habitually, in a similar context to fatty foods.
i know very well, somehow your bedtime joint before you sleep gets taken away for whatever reason, the stress is huge and your sleep would probably worsen in the long run. again, it's not as simple as nicotine withdrawal and such, it's just that mental dependence from it, so i'd personally avoid it in habitual context, if you're somewhat insecure in life at the moment.

Hmm, not sure about that.

I'm talking about it as a medicine (I think probably we're talking about different uses if you're talking about 'recreational, fun' use). I'm sure it can be fun, but used often, or daily, it's got to divorce you from reality - it's psychoactive.

Personally I guess this consistent use is what leads people into trouble with it sometimes (?)

If you mix it with tobacco in a joint then you're having a mix of 'drugs' which is very different from just having cannabis or tobacco on its own.

citalofamalam
13-04-12, 21:14
i never really smoked it consistently everyday for longer than like a week or two. smoking everyday is also dependency territory and definitely not advisable. i always used to buy it for ten or twenty quid at a time, have a few days indulgence then give it a rest - part mental health conscious, part cos dealers are a hassle and i didnt really feel like bothering them for ages

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

i mixed with tobacco ninety percent of the time, but i was a smoker anyway so it wasnt that different from smoking pure. only time i'd go pure is for shotties [bong hits]

mick_uk
14-04-12, 07:57
Now and then I smoke 'wild lettuce' when I'm having sleep problems or just feeling anxious. Its legal and you smoke it on it's own, not mixed with tobacco and I find it helps me.
You can buy it online or in new age shops. Gives you a nice chilled out feeling.

Kelseywelseyyy
22-04-12, 17:11
I used to smoke it a lot before I suffered from anxiety. But I've found now it has the opposite effect on me. I think sometimes the smell of it is a trigger to me. I stopped for a few months and then started again for about 3. Then i had the worst panic attack I've ever had and haven't touched it since. I wouldn't same cannabis or any other drug I've taken in the past are to blame for my anxiety, but they certainly do not help.

Saying that, I think that smoking rocky would not be as bad compared to green because its not as strong. But I won't be touching either again!

grotbags
06-05-12, 16:08
Weed triggered my panic disorder and it does have a tendency of doing this in so many people you'd be amazed. Ask anyone who works in mental health and they will tell you to never touch it again. It seems more and more common that people are triggered (or causing?) depersonalization from smoking weed. This is something I suffered from for years after smoking weed and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

However, in some people it seems to help. If it's helping you then it helps you. I know several people who self medicate their own issues with weed, be it anxiety, add, depression. If it works for you then that's good, and if it worked for me I would be using it too.

mk4402
06-05-12, 16:16
I used to smoke it a lot before I suffered from anxiety. But I've found now it has the opposite effect on me. I think sometimes the smell of it is a trigger to me. I stopped for a few months and then started again for about 3. Then i had the worst panic attack I've ever had and haven't touched it since. I wouldn't same cannabis or any other drug I've taken in the past are to blame for my anxiety, but they certainly do not help.

Saying that, I think that smoking rocky would not be as bad compared to green because its not as strong. But I won't be touching either again!

This is pretty much the same for me, I smoked alot before I had anxiety, stopped as soon as it came on, had the odd joint with a tiny bit in since but never seemed to help so stopped doing it now

Lindy
06-05-12, 20:58
Used to smoked it daily and through my depression may I add (diagnosed as depressive in my early teens way before I got started) I think it made my life a lot nicer and calmer to be honest! I smoked during heavy PA phase too and found it calmed me down afterwards. However, I've not smoked it for about five years and since I've become anxious (which I never really had with PAs) I really can't touch it. I would never go back to it now, much better to be healthy and nuts than unhealthy and nuts :)

My advice to anyone would be not to smoke anything though. Just because it's bad for your health irrespective of any mental health issues. If you were already smoking it and getting benefit, then great, but it's probably not a good idea for people with any anxiety or PA issues to start doing any new drugs :)

LaceFace
06-05-12, 21:56
I know several folks who use it for recreational purposes or to relax...family members and friends of mine. I have only used it once, let's just say what an experience! haha but I don't personally have anything against folks that use it...imo it is safer than regular cigarettes. Of course here in the states it's frowned upon by law as well. I say make it legal! LOL :D

eight days a week
23-07-12, 19:58
I have been researching about this.

'Skunk' is an incorrect term here in the UK, but it is generally used (or was - when I was younger, 20 years ago) as a catch-all term for cross-bred genetics of cannabis to maximise the psychoactive element (THC), grown under artificial lighting for maximum yield of the plant and strength.

I think it's been medically proven (could be wrong there) that some of the new (last few decades) cannabis with a higher THC to CBD ratio can trigger psychosis in some people who are already susceptible.

From what I have read (I am the first to admit that it is not 'everything' on the subject, and that all this is just my humble opinion) it seems that nature - as per usual - built in natural 'defences' against bad effects of THC. That is another chemical in cannabis called CBD, which (again I am happy to be proven wrong by links to scientific papers) seems to counter-act the 'psychosis' effect of THC by reducing the psychoactive effects (a bit like dock leaves often growing near nettles).

In the quest to cross-breed different strains of cannabis to make the strongest THC plants it seems growers (particularly in Holland) have unnaturally reduced the CBD to THC ratio, which makes it a potentially more dangerous plant for those who are vulnerable to mental health issues.

I have read of at least one type of cannabis that has not been altered in this way and remains as it has for hundreds of years (Hindu Kush) but is still grown and highly-valued by some (especially in America where it is actually already prescribed by doctors for its helpful effects against anxiety, depression, and pain from cancer etc) for its medical properties.

This is now grown using the same artificial lighting and conditions as 'skunk' but all it means is that you need less of the plant (so, if you smoke it, less very-harmful things like tar) to get the effects. The CBD and THC ratios remain the same in this plant as they always have. If you just call all strong cannabis 'skunk' you miss this very important (possibly the only (?) important) point.

From what I have learned it is the 'race' to produce as much THC (versus CBD) as possible that have led to increased danger for some people (most likely people with anxiety etc problems like us on here).

There are two main types of cannabis:

Sativa - high in THC compared to CBD
Indica - high in CBD compared to THC

Hindu Kush (the most obvious example I've come across so far) is, of course, an Indica.

Now attention has turned in America (so often, in many ways, 10-15 years ahead of us here in the UK) to produce (again by cross-breeding) strains of cannabis that reduce THC and increase CBD (so it will not get you 'high' but will help relieve pain, insomnia and anxiety etc). Anti-depression and appetite-stimulation and other effects seem to be more THC-related, so it is a balancing act, it appears). High CBD is the future, perhaps, for cannabis as a medicine for certain people and conditions.

I think most youngsters (maybe even people in general?) in the UK have no idea what they're buying with cannabis or what its effects might be. As per everything else (medicines prescribed by your doctors, food, etc) my call is 'educate yourselves!'.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

And, as per always, my advice is 'if you don't know what it is you're consuming (eating/drinking/whatever) then do NOT risk it' - in this case especially with the high THC/low CBD strains.

Medical cannabis is a new industry in some parts of the US, and almost unheard of here it seems. People do not know generally what they are smoking here in the UK. That sounds pretty dangerous to me.

shotokansho
25-07-12, 08:10
You know I have been worrying myself silly recently because I think my 15yr old boy has been smoking it. Reading all these posts have made me feel a little better about things. (Not that I'm happy about it). I think with teenagers it could go two ways, addiction to cannabis or stopping it. Personally I would hope for the latter. It also worries me that it could lead to something harder.
On the other hand I can't really say anything because I have been tempted to start smoking it myself for my own anxieties. I have tried it before, years ago, like just having a couple of puffs on someone else's joint. But I would be scared of becoming addicted to it, as my life is unhealthy as it is.

Richard1960
25-07-12, 08:46
On the subject of cannabis i have never taken or smoked it,but used to have a friend she did not smoke it but used to bake cakes,one batch would have cannabis in it,and one batch would be cannabis free, she very often could not remember which was which.!:ohmy:

So i declined a a cake whilst around hers.:D:D

Richard.

Jimbo
03-08-12, 22:59
I'm definitely not saying its ok to use cannabis in this post. Its illegal in this country so I wouldn't encourage anyone to break the law.

I've smoked off and on through my life, currently not using it at all for longer than I remember. Prescription meds is all I take currently.

I wouldn't put it down to my problems, I honestly believe underlying problems are the cause. Altering your mental state could cause these things to show their ugly head. But alcohol and caffeine do this and do much more damage imo.

I don't believe the hype the government feeds us about it. The main cause of paranoia with cannabis is the fact its illegal and worrying you might get arrested, accused of being stoned, peoples polerized attitudes, etc.

It's the most widely used drug in the world and has been used for thousands of years. If it was the cause of MH problems, our hospitals would be filled with people.

Visit Amsterdam and see how different and chilled out the culture is over there.

I know people who've smoked all their lives and lead happy and fulfilled lives. Don't know anyone who's caused any sort of permanent damage through using it.

Some interesting research finally going on with this. Since its illegal its hard for the pharmaceutical companies to research it. Can't find the references to the studies I've read. Maybe on wikipedia.

Basically it goes something like this;
Cannabis contains many active chemicals. The 2 main are THC (tetra-hydro-cannibinol) and CBD (Canabindiol).

THC causes the main effect, but CBD regulates many receptors in the brain and that alters the effect of THC. In studies, people given pure THC can exhibit serious mental side effects, but when administered with CBD these problems go away.

The evidence is starting to show that CBD may be a very important starting point for creating a drug to help MH problems. Possible treatment for schizophrenia, regulating mood and anxiety disorders.

This makes some sense in that many MH sufferers self medicate with cannabis and get a lot of relief from it.

What does concern me most is the craze of breeding high THC strains, skunk and all the new strains that come out regularly from the seed banks.

Still early days in the research and it will move slowly due to the regulations most governments have towards it.

I don't see any of the main political parties ever legalizing, so it will remain unconfirmed and underground for now.

Jim:hugs:

mikewales
04-08-12, 07:48
Jim, I think thats part of the problem, naturally grown cannabis, that has been used for thousands of years, is pretty mild really. Its the new strains that have been created over the past years that are created to be as strong as possible that seem to be causing problems.

As with any drug, if you take small or weak amounts occasionally,then chances are you won't get a problem, but if you are taking a lot more of the active ingredients, and a lot more often, then it is more likely that you will get a bad reaction.

There are quite a few cases now of people who are developing psychosis after heavy use of skunk for extended periods.

I also think if you are prone to mental health problems anyway, it is very risky to use something that may just act as the trigger to start them off.

Jimbo
04-08-12, 13:56
Jim, I think thats part of the problem, naturally grown cannabis, that has been used for thousands of years, is pretty mild really. Its the new strains that have been created over the past years that are created to be as strong as possible that seem to be causing problems.

As with any drug, if you take small or weak amounts occasionally,then chances are you won't get a problem, but if you are taking a lot more of the active ingredients, and a lot more often, then it is more likely that you will get a bad reaction.

There are quite a few cases now of people who are developing psychosis after heavy use of skunk for extended periods.

I also think if you are prone to mental health problems anyway, it is very risky to use something that may just act as the trigger to start them off.

I may be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between cannabis use and psychosis. Psychiatrists will ask if you use drugs, probably their first question. Its far to easy to blame things on a 'simple' explanation.

It's likely those people would have developed it anyway. As I said, many scitzophrenics often turn to cannabis to ease their symptoms. It's the chicken and the egg.

If you look for papers and studies comparing psychosis and cannabis most are sponsered by anti-drug organisations.

mikewales
04-08-12, 18:44
It was mainly from experience, my cousin, and one other person I know of have both developed it after heavy use of skunk for a couple of years. It may just be coincidence, and they may have got it anyway, but often with mental problems ( like anxiety ) people can be fine, and something triggers it.

I certainly don't think if you are prone to mental health problems that taking anything that alters your brain chemistry ( other than meds that have been tested etc... ) is a very good idea/

eight days a week
07-08-12, 08:27
Mike - I am very sorry to read about your friend's and relative's problems with cannabis. Reading about the medical cannabis situation in the USA seems very enlightening, e.g, when you go into a 'real' mmj (medical marijuana) facility they will question you quite closely about your medical needs and only give you plants that fit your needs e.g. some plants can help with sleep, some are good for cancer, some are great for anxiety and panic attacks but others will do you no good and probably make things worse etc.

Someone put it quite well: it's a bit like going into a doctors and being prescribed the wrong med. It is CRUCIAL to know what you are buying imho.

Jimbo
13-08-12, 15:25
Mike - I am very sorry to read about your friend's and relative's problems with cannabis. Reading about the medical cannabis situation in the USA seems very enlightening, e.g, when you go into a 'real' mmj (medical marijuana) facility they will question you quite closely about your medical needs and only give you plants that fit your needs e.g. some plants can help with sleep, some are good for cancer, some are great for anxiety and panic attacks but others will do you no good and probably make things worse etc.

Someone put it quite well: it's a bit like going into a doctors and being prescribed the wrong med. It is CRUCIAL to know what you are buying imho.

Absolutely agree, different strains can have a massively different effect.

Would love to see similar in this country, should be made legal for medical use only. Most MMJ clinics give you a % of THC and CBD levels Would provide some sort of harm reduction at least, while there is none currently.

Sadly I don't see any of the current political parties going down this route. Just farcical reviews. Watch the Russel Brand at the parlimentary select committee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LHuII-jYQ

Makes some excelent points while being quite funny at times.

mikewales
13-08-12, 18:01
I agree, thats always been the danger with street drugs ( and prescription meds people buy illegally ), you never know exactly what is in them or how strong they are, or even if they are what they claim to be in a lot of cases.

Magic
13-08-12, 19:02
I would just like to say that i have back pain, some times unbearable,
i have had private treatment---nothing works, i have been given
painkillers that have side effects.
I would try cannibus if it was legal

uk23
14-08-12, 02:00
The facts that one medium sized joint does more damage to the lungs than 10 cigarettes puts me off.

Oh and also I worked with long term (20+ years) users and saw what it had done to them - that was enough to put me off the idea.

blue moon
15-08-12, 01:52
I will unpack my Hookah :D

eight days a week
19-10-12, 18:59
From the snippets I caught there was a very very interesting debate on the Julia George show on Radio Kent about cannabis yesterday morning from 9am. You can catch it on iplayer, but the easiest thing (at least for me) is to go to the Radio Kent homepage and select 'listen again' from there.

There were 'extremes' from both sides but a number of things I heard greatly interested me.

The first was that the genetic changes that have been made to the plant to make it more psychoactive but less 'balanced' (and to my mind much more dangerous to those of us with borderline disorders) was touched upon many times, but even the experts do not seem to be pursuing or publicising this at all. Please research THC and CBD if you're interested.

Secondly, even the proponents of legalisation for personal use (that I heard) said that as a psychoactive substance, it will always have risks for certain people, and that those people should avoid it (which has, actually, made me reconsider the whole question). On the other hand they say they have research comparing it to the harm alcohol does to groups of people, and there is no comparison.

The third thing that came out, and was a shock to me, was that they said you should never, ever take it until your brain has stopped developing. Because, just like traumatic events, your brain is shaped by these things and it means it develops in another way that is not 'ideal' at all. They said that males' brains stop developing later than females, so you are playing with fire really to try it before then. And if you are male then it is until your early twenties (if not mid) that your brain finally settles down into its 'adult' shape.

Wow.

The facts that one medium sized joint does more damage to the lungs than 10 cigarettes puts me off.

Buy accredited, medical-quality cannabis then, and use a vaporiser (like the e-cigs that deliver nicotine and the pleasures of smoking, supposedly, without the tar and other nasty chemicals). Oh wait, we can't, because despite the failure of the multi-billion pound war on drugs, the government are still not prepared to take this bold step and stop inquisitive teens, or younger, going to the local street dealers and being sold - amongst other things - 'cannabis' laced with boot polish, plastic, horse tranquilisers, glass dust (this stuff is very nasty as once it's in your lungs it can never get out I have read, because your body can't expel it or break it down), and also offered other drugs such as heroin, LSD, and goodness knows what else.

The other point that was forcefully made was that this is the reason cannabis is so often called a 'gateway' drug. Because to get it you have to become illegal, and once you have done that why not try other drugs too, after all you're already a criminal, and the police and government have classed you as a 'druggie'?

It seems to me we need proper trials involving 'street' cannabis users (who are often it seems smoking plastic and the other horrendous things I mentioned) versus 'proper' cannabis versus (perhaps) some sort of placebo.

also I worked with long term (20+ years) users and saw what it had done to them - that was enough to put me off the idea.

I would love to hear more about this please :)