PDA

View Full Version : Private Health care worth it?

Youngatheart2015
22-07-16, 18:34
Hi, been thinking of getting private healthcare for a while as I think with health anxiety it may be a help, sometimes struggle to see a doctor where I live which heightens my anxiety, and I also feel sometimes doctors don't take my concerns seriously and rush me out..Question is is it worth it the cost ? And would it help any advice would be much appreciated

Fishmanpa
22-07-16, 18:46
Depends on how much you think you want to pay for reassurance. Perhaps the extra monies you'd spend on private health care can be invested in a mental health professional to help with your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
22-07-16, 19:20
I agree with Fishmanpa.

Considering your healthcare system there, though, would you have access to better mental health care if you had private insurance? That's something to consider as well.

I'm one that, recently, has coped quite well with reassurance. But, it's taken quite a bit of CBT and meds to get me there and I don't totally fly off the handle at every little thing either - which is an important factor! - however, when I do think something is really off it's nice to be able to see a kind doctor (or even have a friend or family member) set me straight and then I'm able to continue thinking more rationally.

Not for everyone though, and 3-4 months ago it would have been disastrous, I think.

You say there aren't many doctors in your area, would you have access to different/more/better reviewed doctors with private insurance?

Youngatheart2015
22-07-16, 19:53
Yes I'm going to try cbt again didn't really help
Last time but I don't think I gave it enough time to work, only came of sertraline 7 months ago and really don't want to go back on them however if it gets really bad I shall have too, suppose I don't like to waste my doctors time or ask for anything such as blood tests etc as our NHS is struggling but I'm someone that needs to be able to
See a doctor when I'm unwell, and feel that they are taking my concerns seriously and checking everything which at the moment I don't have that, it's seems to be a case of either offering me antidepressants or "wait and see how you are" : /