PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety After Serious Illness

crow42
22-07-16, 20:38
Hi There,
Curious if anyone else out there has developed significant health anxiety after being diagnosed with a serious medical condition. I was diagnosed with ITP 2.5 years ago (autoimmune disease of platelets). I have periodic flares with odd symptoms but I am constantly worried about malignancy or debilitating disease. The experience of hospitalization and the chronic need for medications reinforces the whole fear cycle and its becoming too much to bear.

Any advice from individuals with similar experiences would be appreciated.

jayware33
22-07-16, 20:56
Hi there,

I cannot relate to this post exactly, as I haven't had a serious physical illness; however, I can give you some advice on the anxiety.

I think it's natural that you're feeling this way. You think that because your body has let you down in some way, that it may happen again? There's no promise that it won't; however, there's also no promise that we will all live healthy lives either. Anyone, at anytime can get struck down with an illnes. Living life with the "what if" floating about in your head will only keep your thoughts in the gloomy side of life. Enjoy life and try to see the positive in everything. There is treatment for this condition.

Have you kept yourself busy with activities and hobbies? Try not to spend too much time stuck indoors and keep your diary filled. The less time you have free, the less time you have to reflect on the negatives.

You say it was 2.5 years ago, how have you coped up until this point? You had many low points?

Fishmanpa
22-07-16, 23:58
I've had two heart attacks, bypass surgery, stents and Stage IV Head and Neck cancer. Other than some depression and "scanxiety", (pretty common side effect) which I treated and recovered, I'm good. Yeah, I still get a twinge of adrenaline when I get a chest pain but I know I'm Ok and use the CBT techniques I learned to quell any negativity. If anything, having faced death several times, I actually worry less about things. My signature says it all and I do my best to live by those wise words.

Positive thoughts

heyitsmeyou
23-07-16, 11:32
Hello! I don't have ITP but I was diagnosed with a low grade brain tumour last year. It hasn't progressed and it's pretty small. Also it's in a good spot for removal. Currently the only treatment in getting is just MRIs every 6 months. You can bet since, I've had horrendous HA. I've never known anxiety until that diagnosis awoke the beast. I'm much better now as I have a good team of doctors and am medicated, but still have anxiety flare ups here and there.