PDA

View Full Version : Off on holiday - tips in the sun?

helenhoo
23-07-16, 09:31
I haven't had a MM worry for while *touch wood* but I'm going away in a few weeks and would like to enjoy the sun without panicking about skin cancer. I don't burn (have done but not painful peeling kind just the hot shower type). I don't want to be sitting there 100% covered. Is spf 50 the best shot? And how often do you use it? I've been enjoying the three day summer here but worn very light jackets over arms.

ServerError
23-07-16, 12:00
Yep, wear sunscreen. SPF50 is a high factor, but it's what I go for. I have very fair skin and it stops me burning. Remember to reapply after swimming or if you sweat a lot.

Other than that, keep hydrated and have fun!

debs71
23-07-16, 12:51
Yep, Factor 50 is the way to go.

I go to the Canaries twice a year. My skin is very fair (Irish skin courtesy of my Dad's side, lol) so I always use SPF50 and not forgetting a sunblock for the FACE too and EARS. This is very important as these areas suffer great exposure (a hat is a good idea too, if you are a hat person!)

Ears and face and shoulders have thin skin areas, so needs a lot of protection too.

Staying as much out of the sun between 12 and 4 is also advised, I think. That is when the sun is at its strongest, so If I were you, relaxing under a sun umbrella or in a shady place would be good....sipping a nice cocktail or two! :shades:

Have a great holiday.

NGD99
23-07-16, 13:52
You can only protect your ears, face and shoulders. The sun's light is the NUMBER ONE factor in the production of vitamin D for the body. It gives you energy.

helenhoo
23-07-16, 16:57
Thanks guys. I'm going to a festival so will be in sun a lot (if it stays nice!) I don't want to scared of sunbathing or going into the sea or anything.

m_b22
23-07-16, 17:34
The best word of advice is to have fun!

Noivous
23-07-16, 17:40
I haven't had a MM worry for while *touch wood* bis perfectt I'm going away in a few weeks and would like to enjo. y the sun without panicking . about skin cancer. I don't burn (have done but not painful peeling kind just the hot shower type). I don't want to be sitting there 100% covered. Is spf 50 the best shot? And how often do you use it? I've been enjoying the three day summer here but worn very light jackets over arms.

Hey Helen! Glad to hear you're going to be getting some r&r. Yeah the 50 is perfect. Douse yourself 2 or 3 times a day and you'll be fine. And then just enjoy yourself.:)

helenhoo
23-07-16, 18:22
How about sun cream on face and foundation?

Fishmanpa
23-07-16, 18:30
C'mon Reb... really.... Log off, stop feeding your obsessions and go enjoy yourself for a change. No tingly limbs, freckle fears, worrying about brain tumors etc. etc. etc. Just for once, put it away and go have a good time.

Listen to what people said about sunscreen and make sure you stay hydrated (WATER, NOT ALCOHOL).

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
23-07-16, 19:00
That's the plan Fishman! I just want to be covered! I'm low risk anyway and rarely burn but want to be on the safe side

debs71
23-07-16, 21:58
How about sun cream on face and foundation?

Many foundations have a built in sun protection factor these days.

I use one myself. It is Garnier BB cream + blur. It is a light foundation with primer and has an SPF of 30.

If you don't have a foundation with an SPF, you apply suncream FIRST, let in sink in and dry and THEN apply your foundation.

helenhoo
23-07-16, 23:13
Thanks Deb will look out for it, don't want to wear much on holiday anyway