PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma fear! Freaking out

Denisse
24-07-16, 08:31
This is my first time on this site. I came here because I'm really scared. I've been concerned about melanoma before but now I feel like I'm right to be concerned. A few days ago I noticed a mole on my calf (most common site for women with melanoma!) that has definetely changed. It follows almost all the melanoma characteristics!! It is assymetrical, it has very different shades of brown and it has a faded part. It is a very small mole but it has definelty raised and maybe become darker and a little hard. The area around it is also raised and pink :( I made a dermatologist appointment but they can't see me in a month!! I'm freaking out because I don't want to die (I'm 18) and I know that melanoma spreads fast and the more it spreads the bigger the chance it will come back! I know for a fact this mole has changed but my family thinks I'm overreacting and my GP will probably think so too because I've talked about melanoma in the past. I feel like I'm in a lot of danger and that this is urgent and something horrible will happen if I wait a month. I've also heard that many doctors don't realize it's melanoma or that they say it's all clear and then it comes back.
I can't sleep or hang out with friends because of this anxiety and nobody takes me seriously :'(
I know it was long so thank you guys for readingnand have a wonderful day

NancyW
24-07-16, 14:21
I know this fear and I'm sorry you're going through it.
I had a solid black spot come up on the top of my hand.
Fit every characteristic of melanoma.
I couldn't get in for a month either, I felt like every minute this thing was spreading in my body.
I called the dermatologist, asked to be put on a cancellation list. They called a few days later and I got in.
Dr removed it, I was sent home to worry myself half to death...
It was benign.
Dr told me our bodies grow "things" throughout our life, most are nothing, but on the off chance it is something, get it off asap.

Is it possible for you to get on a can cancellation list?

swgrl09
24-07-16, 14:33
Well I am glad you have a doctors appointment, as they are the only ones who can tell for sure. But please don't get too nervous, as my husband has lots of moles that fail the "ABCDE" characteristics of moles and his doctor has said are normal and just fine. It is just a guideline I think to keep an eye on things.

See if you can get on a cancellation list though- that was a good idea posted above.

Stressed32
25-07-16, 00:09
If it's small, it doesn't meet all melanoma criteria bc melanomas are larger than a pencil eraser. Have you picked at it or even shaved over it when shaving your legs...that would irritate it. I had a scare like this recently. I got it tested and my dermatologists said they are more negative that positive. Can u find a different dermatologist to see u sooner?

Denisse
25-07-16, 05:06
Thank you for the advice. I ask my mom to put me in the cancellation list and she said ok. But still of nobody cancels it could spread in a month :(

---------- Post added at 04:04 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

Are your husband's moles evolving?

---------- Post added at 04:06 ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 ----------

There is not that many dermatologists where I live sadly and I only picked at it when I noticed it had changed.