PDA

View Full Version : Mums had her op

rebeccad
24-07-16, 12:16
So my mum had her bypass on Friday she had a triple in the end, she's doing ok but what's really worrying me is she is completely off this planet she keeps asking if she's on holiday :-( it's really upsetting me, the nurse said its the pain killers as she's on morphine, but I've not heard of morphine doing this to people, has anyone any experience with This ? Does morphine make you completely ga ga and say things that arnt there ? X

venusbluejeans
24-07-16, 12:23
definitely, My mum had morphine when she was in hospital and it made her as high as a kite lol

rebeccad
24-07-16, 12:26
Thanks, im worried she'll never be back in herself, she keeps saying she's scared and wants to wake up its breaking my heart x

venusbluejeans
24-07-16, 12:28
she won't remember anyof it....... and when when she stops having the morphine or the dose is lowered then she will be fine :) it is completely normal but yeah scary for people witnessing it

Magic
24-07-16, 12:34
Venus is right rebeccad. sending best wishes to you:hugs:

rebeccad
24-07-16, 12:35
Thank you both, I don't know what I expected to be honest xx

venusbluejeans
24-07-16, 12:37
It is a difficult one to watch and one your mum is probably enjoying more than you a the minute, she won't remember a thing..... good luck to her in her recovery

KeeKee
24-07-16, 13:08
Hope your Mums doing well. It's definitely normal for Morphine to do that it's why I refused it myself years ago during a miscarriage.

debs71
24-07-16, 15:06
Yes, this is totally normal with morphine, especially if she is on an infusion of it.

I remember early on in my student days, one of the senior nurses telling me about morphine... that you may get patients seeing 'pink elephants' and suchlike, lol.

It is a great pain reliever, but it does space people out, which is scary for their nearest and dearest.

Don't worry. Once your Mum is able to come of it and on to more standard pain meds she will be fine. x

Noivous
24-07-16, 15:40
It's absolutely amazing what can be done with the heart now. They put a valve (12 years ago) in my dad and a pacemaker a few years later. His heart rate was down to 20bpm when they did that. He was back up splitting firewood within a week. It's really unbelievable.

N.

rebeccad
24-07-16, 18:45
They've taken her off it now and she seems a little better , she is still a bit dazed and confused but loads better, I assume it'll take time to come out of her system xx