PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else hate hot weather? Makes my anxiety worse.

swgrl09
24-07-16, 14:30
We are in the middle of yet another heat wave. This month has been constantly in the 90s where I live and humid. I am not made for the heat and think it's making my anxiety and depression act up. For some reason I find it staying light out until 9 PM also bothers me. It doesn't make sense, most people struggle more with the darkness of winter. I feel a bit guilty because my husband loves it and wants to get out and do things before it gets cold again. I just want to close the shades and stay inside! :shrug:

Noivous
24-07-16, 14:35
Yes I do. I would rather work outside in 30 degrees (-1.1c) than 90 anytime. I think with me the really hot weather just makes me not want to do anything which can make me feel a little depressed.

KeeKee
24-07-16, 15:05
Meeee! I despise the Summer and moreso the light nights. In the UK right now it also gets dark around 9pm (well, starts to), it is hideous. I sound like a right grouch but the children playing in the streets until late and the sun shining in my living room window make me so stressed. The hottest we've had so far was 25 degrees Celsius. It was hideous. Today wasn't so bad, it has been dull with a little rain but not too humid so it hasn't been so bad.
I think I have reverse SAD. Although I do also feel depressed in the Winter it's never normally this bad. I barely even leave the house whereas in the dark nights I always want to go for walks ha.

debs71
24-07-16, 15:12
I don't mind sunny weather, but here in London we are having sun (more cloud today) but such TERRIBLE humidity, and it is doing my head in.

I don't sleep well as it is, but this heat is making things worse. I finally drift off at around 4.30am and then am awoken at 8/8.30am by sun and heat coming through my bedroom curtains (my bedroom is south facing, sigh)

Nightmare.

I am finding it so hard to get motivated too. I just feel like collapsing on the sofa/bed and doing zilch. :wacko:

The only time I love the warm weather is when abroad. It somehow doesn't seem so oppresive, and there is air con available where I stay. I think the mix of heat with London pollution makes things so much grosser here.

Noivous
24-07-16, 15:35
Yeah...that's it. It's the humidity. I like summer, all the seasons really, But 95 (35c) and up with humidity is tough. Give me 85 and no humidity and I'm good. Fortunately I'm not far from the sea so I can scoot over for a swim when needed.

Buster70
24-07-16, 19:28
I've allways preferred the cold to the hot weather people call you miserable if you don't like the heat , sod em I like sitting out or walking in the rain I love being in the car in the rain and I know I'm not alone , they can keep their baking stifling heat I'm always happier in the cold , luckily uk summer time is usually about 2 weeks .

Noivous
24-07-16, 19:31
I've allways preferred the cold to the hot weather people call you miserable if you don't like the heat , sod em I like sitting out or walking in the rain I love being in the car in the rain and I know I'm not alone , they can keep their baking stifling heat I'm always happier in the cold , luckily uk summer time is usually about 2 weeks .

with the windows opened? lol

Carnation
24-07-16, 19:40
Me too :(

But maybe there is an advantage, because you can't tell whether you have an anxiety hot flush or a hot temperature flush. :shrug:

I cope better when it is colder.

KeeKee
24-07-16, 19:40
people call you miserable if you don't like the heat.
This is one of my absolute pet hates! I have been called miserable because I don't like the Sun and yet every single winter all my family and I even hear strangers moan on and on about the weather. Who decided what weather is lovely and what weather is miserable?

pulisa
24-07-16, 20:35
At least you can do something when it's too cold ie extra clothes/extra blankets/hot water bottles....When it's boiling hot there's no escape unless you can afford to air condition your home or sleep in the fridge...

Buster70
24-07-16, 20:44
An old man summed it up to me walking his dog " I'd rather be an Eskimo than and Arab " enough said .

swgrl09
25-07-16, 02:12
I'm so glad others get it!!! You're all so right, when I say I want summer to pass, I always get people giving me grief about it. But this heat has me so irritable. I like snuggling up, wearing layers, etc. today was so hot I could barely take the dog for a walk. Even the dog laid down halfway through our walk!!!

It's Sunday night and I feel so unmotivated to go to work tomorrow. I just want to stay home and hide!

MyNameIsTerry
25-07-16, 04:46
I don't sleep well as it is, but this heat is making things worse. I finally drift off at around 4.30am and then am awoken at 8/8.30am by sun and heat coming through my bedroom curtains (my bedroom is south facing, sigh)

Nightmare.

Debs,

I have been sleeping partly day & night for years as worked later shifts before my relapse. Since then it spiralled and I've been sleeping in the days for a long time now. You get used to this with the noise, sun & heat but I bought one of those sleep masks a couple of years ago and they are great.

My bedroom faces the sun near the top of a hill high up in my city so it's baking in the afternoons. The mask keeps all the light out.

I just bought a cheap travel one. I haven't got one like you see the celebrities wearing...the ones like look like a bra for a well endowed lady. :winks:

swgrl09
25-07-16, 12:15
Yes, I find I need to use blackout curtains because the sun comes up so early and goes down so late. Maybe the light is stimulating and increases anxiety?

debs71
25-07-16, 19:53
Debs,

I have been sleeping partly day & night for years as worked later shifts before my relapse. Since then it spiralled and I've been sleeping in the days for a long time now. You get used to this with the noise, sun & heat but I bought one of those sleep masks a couple of years ago and they are great.

My bedroom faces the sun near the top of a hill high up in my city so it's baking in the afternoons. The mask keeps all the light out.

I just bought a cheap travel one. I haven't got one like you see the celebrities wearing...the ones like look like a bra for a well endowed lady. :winks:

Yep, I have the same sleep issues Terry....all down to shift work.

I used to work only night shifts for about 5 years or so, from 8pm to 8.30am and it has seriously screwed up my body clock. I haven't slept normally for years, and this is years after stopping shifts!

Of course lack of sleep doesn't help our anxiety either, sigh.:wacko:

Thanks for the tip re. the mask. I will certainly give it a try. :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
26-07-16, 05:41
Yep, I have the same sleep issues Terry....all down to shift work.

I used to work only night shifts for about 5 years or so, from 8pm to 8.30am and it has seriously screwed up my body clock. I haven't slept normally for years, and this is years after stopping shifts!

Of course lack of sleep doesn't help our anxiety either, sigh.:wacko:

Thanks for the tip re. the mask. I will certainly give it a try. :winks:

I remember pulisa posted a link to a study of night work on women and how it causes depression in some.

Even though my insomnia is largely gone, I suspect this does mess me up.

I was a bit worried a sleep mask might keep me awake but it was fine and you don't really feel them.

---------- Post added at 05:41 ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 ----------

Yes, I find I need to use blackout curtains because the sun comes up so early and goes down so late. Maybe the light is stimulating and increases anxiety?

Daylight is the trigger to change from producing Melatonin to Serotonin, so it will make a difference.

I remember reading about sleep cycles some time ago and it was talking about how you can wake feeling rubbish because you are in the middle of one of the deeper blocks of sleep. They recommended getting into sunlight to wake up.

Also, blue light from screens triggers chemicals in the brain too, different ones though, which are aimed at stimulation.

Maybe it just wakes us up and then the morning anxiety starts off?

swgrl09
27-07-16, 12:15
I find it is physically affecting me too. I think going between AC and hot/humid weather is really bugging me. My sinuses have been aching, coughing at night, headaches daily. Supposedly we will get a little relief this weekend so I am crossing my fingers for that.

smoothiefun
27-07-16, 23:00
I can see how the heat would make you more anxious as it is harder to get comfortable. I don't like it too hot. Warm and in the shade yes but not really hot. I'm not made for really hot weather either :)

Richard1960
27-07-16, 23:24
Not too keen on the heat have to have a fan on all night to sleep.!

The only positive is the weather is nice for rock festivals nice being up all night outside or indeed inside working in the recovery tent.!:ohmy:

Noivous
27-07-16, 23:39
Just wondering - does anyone in GB own a room air conditioner?:D

I worked shifts for about 2 years about 18 years ago. For 2 years I didn't eat right, sleep right, poop right, I was pissed off all the time, tin foil on the windows, picked up a caffeine habit, tired all the time...never again. We're not nocturnal. Sleep imho is the biggest factor in the war on anxiety.

N.

Richard1960
27-07-16, 23:44
Just wondering - does anyone in GB own a room air conditioner?:D

I worked shifts for about 2 years about 18 years ago. For 2 years I didn't eat right, sleep right, poop right, I was pissed off all the time, tin foil on the windows, picked up a caffeine habit, tired all the time...never again. We're not nocturnal. Sleep imho is the biggest factor in the war on anxiety.

N.

They would not get much use here.!:D

I worked a three shift system for many years including nights it really mucked me up if i still did i might of looked to buy an air conditioner trying to sleep days in the summer for work that night is a no no,even here,and yes sleep is a factor in anxiety go to work tired and come home tired is not good.

Noivous
27-07-16, 23:50
Yeah, that's what I thought but I see a lot of UK folks talking about the heat. I assume (I know make an ass of you and me lol) the heat is quite short lived there. I'm in the north east US and it can last a good 3 months but is typically 2. I couldn't sleep without it - the air conditioner not the heat.

I'm glad you're off the shifts. I didn't do a rotation I was on a fixed midnight. It will never happen again of that I can assure you.

N.

Richard1960
27-07-16, 23:56
Yeah, that's what I thought but I see a lot of UK folks talking about the heat. I assume (I know make an ass of you and me lol) the heat is quite short lived there. I'm in the north east US and it can last a good 3 months but is typically 2. I couldn't sleep without it - the air conditioner not the heat.

I'm glad you're off the shifts. I didn't do a rotation I was on a fixed midnight. It will never happen again of that I can assure you.

N.

The hot weather here has only just started we were being flooded up until about three weeks ago.! Tonight there is a nice breeze but if it was longer i would think about AC but for now the fan does.

Yes i do not want to do nights again i can assure you but rotation was worse,i am done with sleeping or trying to sleep days to work nights.!

I expect us now possibly to have three months good weather August,September,and sometimes October are good here,the north east US sounds like the hot weather lasts pretty much the same here,(On a good year)!

Selkie
28-07-16, 03:16
Interesting thread and it's refreshing to see i'm not the only one who suffers in the summer.
Not only does the heat and sleepless nights seem to make the physical symptoms worse, summer time means more people out and about. Everywhere is so much busier. :ohmy:

swgrl09
28-07-16, 16:36

N.

I'm in the northeast too ... hoping today is the last day of this awful heat wave. We have an AC in our bedroom only, so at least we can get sleep at night. Just walked the dog and both of us were dragging!

I did shift work for only about a year and a half and I hated it. It messes your entire body up. I couldn't handle it more than that.

Here's hoping for rain tomorrow.

Noivous
28-07-16, 17:25
I'm in the northeast too ... hoping today is the last day of this awful heat wave. We have an AC in our bedroom only, so at least we can get sleep at night. Just walked the dog and both of us were dragging!

I did shift work for only about a year and a half and I hated it. It messes your entire body up. I couldn't handle it more than that.

Here's hoping for rain tomorrow.

Yes swgrl I'm with you. Hopefully just one more day...whew!:)

Btw...why aren't you negrl?:shades:lol

swgrl09
28-07-16, 17:44
Hahaha that would make sense, wouldn't it? When I first made my account here I was a social worker so that's where the sw came from.

Noivous
28-07-16, 17:54
Oh!...a social worker...if word gets out you'll be extremely busy on this site:D.

N.

dale12345
28-07-16, 19:50
The heat sucks but the humidity we get in Mn is brutal.

swgrl09
29-07-16, 12:09
It's finally raining today!!! :yesyes:

Noivous
29-07-16, 12:39
YEA!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tv4wzEjINrM/UMS2omWtsMI/AAAAAAAAJdk/2EBUDLtvDE4/s1600/singin-in-the-rain-movie+11.png

swgrl09
29-07-16, 13:13
:roflmao: that's exactly how I feel!

MyNameIsTerry
29-07-16, 13:48
So, when do we start the "I hate rain!" thread? :winks:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/93/96/75/9396752d1b230576dd581715559f7a00.jpg

I know what you mean though, I was out in the rain over here after the recent hot spell and it was sooooo refreshing! :yesyes: I'm glad things are getting refreshing for you all.

Noivous
29-07-16, 13:50
:roflmao: that's exactly how I feel!

I know...that picture says it all...mine not Terry's haha.

swgrl09
29-07-16, 16:26
Lmao at Terry's photo ... :roflmao:

Rain is over already and sun is out. Hopefully it's cooled down a little. Haven't been outside tho, stuck in my office.