PDA

View Full Version : Project on mental illness (mainly on panic attacks)

Rennie1989
20-03-07, 14:04
Hiya all

I am doing an essay in Key Skills IT Level 2 at college and I chose to write my essay on:

"How does age affect the likelihood of people suffering from mental illness*?"

I need statistics on the ages of people here who have panic attacks. I know there is all ready a thread on this but I need a bit more information.

So, could you please fill this in for me and PM it back to me (or you can post your information in this thread).

Age of when the first signs of mental illness* occured:
Age of when panic attacks (and other illnesses like anxiety etc) started:
List the mental illness/es* you suffer from now:

If you wish to say anything else regarding this assignment then do tell me. Also if you know any books that give information on panic attacks (like Psychology for A Levels books) then tell me, that would help me alot.:yesyes:

I will post the results when I complete the assignment, it may be in a couple of weeks time, depending on how much work I have to do for my other subjects, lol.

* It was the only term I could use to talk about panic attacks, anxiety, depression etc as a whole. I do not mean to use it in an insulting or offensive way. If you find it very offensive then I will change it to Emotional Illness or anything suitable for you.

mirry
20-03-07, 16:21
Hi Jadey,
I dont suffer from mental illness, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

I personally find the term mental illness an insult, mainly because anxiety and panic attacks are emotional illnesses and most the people on this site are very clever people. Why they term it mental Illness I dont know ?
When you suffer panic attacks its because you "FEEL" fear , not because your mental. Thats my views on it anyhow.

Rennie1989
20-03-07, 16:46
Hi Jadey,
I dont suffer from mental illness, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

I personally find the term mental illness an insult, mainly because anxiety and panic attacks are emotional illnesses and most the people on this site are very clever people. Why they term it mental Illness I dont know ?
When you suffer panic attacks its because you "FEEL" fear , not because your mental. Thats my views on it anyhow.
I don't mean to use it in an insulting term, I just didn't know what else to call panic attacks, anxiety, OCD etc etc etc as one thing.

mirry
20-03-07, 16:58
Hi Jadey, Im glad you wrote this because its something that I have heard mentioned many many times in the past , its not your fault, this is how society see's our illness which makes this a interesting topic.

I may be the only person on here who finds it offensive (you never know).

I like the term "Emotional Illness" because this is usually where all these Illnesses come from.

Hey Jadey, hope you didnt take offence,hope we can help you out with your project!

statycBG
20-03-07, 17:45
It's not even illness - it's just fear,if you ask me..:winks:

belle
20-03-07, 20:15
I've always considered myself to have a "Mental Health illness".

Sarah

groovygranny
20-03-07, 21:04
Hi Jadey.

I wish you every success with your project. :yesyes:

I can't say I'm particularly offended by the term 'Mental Illness' but I can fully understand how others might be. This has made me think about what I suffer/have suffered from and whether it is an actual illness or just my way of responding to certain life circumstances and situations. I certainly felt very poorly when I was going through it and adjusting to temporary medication and wasn't able to interact very much with the real world. Now, I suppose I could consider myself a 're-adjusted' anxiety/panic sufferer. For me, being free from what I experienced is living with the fact that it might rear it's ugly head now and again (and it has on occassion) but it will be the way I handle it now that determines whether I still suffer or not.

I do know that my situation was certainly brought about by life events over a period of about 45 years since I was a small child, all of which culminated in an almighty 'hitting a brick wall' toward the end of 2005. I can't with any honesty say that I have 'fully' recovered or that I still suffer - it really is dependent upon my life situation now, today. So, today I might consider myself recovered, but tomorrow I might refer to myself as still suffering!

Hope this helps somewhat. When I read it through it sounded a bit hit and miss to me but hey, that's GG lol !! :wacko:

lotsa luv

GG :emot-dance:

xx

PS: I'll PM you with my details :)

kate
20-03-07, 21:14
Jeez, Jade only asked for a few questions to be answered :rolleyes:

Kate

groovygranny
20-03-07, 21:33
Haha! Impossible for GG -

Why use 20 words when 120 will do lol !!

lotsa luv

GG :emot-dance:

xx

jo61
20-03-07, 22:02
Hi Jade, I've suffered since 2000 when I was 39. Depression, anxiety bigtime. PM me if you need any info.

kazzie
20-03-07, 22:13
Hi Jadey

If you pm me I will share my life story with you......not posting it here tho bit complicated!!!!

Luv Kaz x x x

honeybee
20-03-07, 22:40
Hiya all

I am doing an essay in Key Skills IT Level 2 at college and I chose to write my essay on:

"How does age affect the likelihood of people suffering from mental illness?"

I need statistics on the ages of people here who have panic attacks. I know there is all ready a thread on this but I need a bit more information.

So, could you please fill this in for me and PM it back to me (or you can post your information in this thread).

If you wish to say anything else regarding this assignment then do tell me. Also if you know any books that give information on panic attacks (like Psychology for A Levels books) then tell me, that would help me alot.:yesyes:

I will post the results when I complete the assignment, it may be in a couple of weeks time, depending on how much work I have to do for my other subjects, lol.

hello, seemed you got a bit of stick for calling it a mental illness.... ops!!! for the record, i believe fear comes from your thoughts, thoughts come from your mind therefore i do class myself as having a mental illness but shhh, dont tell anyone... lol... it does kinda make me feel a bit sh*t about myself knowing i have a mental illness but hey ho, could be worse... i could be starving or dieing so still pretty lucky really

i'm 21... started having severe panic attacks when i was 18 completely out of the blue, really confident and outgoing before hand with what i thiought would be a great future ahead of me... now i'm agoraphobic, there's a misconception that that means a fear of open spaces but its actually a fear of situations where there's no immediate of obvious escape from... oh and i'm female.. hope this helps.. good luck with your project

Rennie1989
21-03-07, 08:43
Hiya everyone

I am very glad that you didn't take my phrase offensively. As I said before, I didn't know how else to say it. So I do apoligise.

Thank you those who have shared your information with me. I have 3 entries. So keep 'em coming!

Thanks again :happy:

jo61
21-03-07, 09:10
I've sent you a PM :yesyes:

mirry
21-03-07, 10:18
I wasnt giving jade stick at all, just good healthy disscusion.

Rennie1989
21-03-07, 17:13
I wasnt giving jade stick at all, just good healthy disscusion.
And I apreciate it :)

bernadette
21-03-07, 18:08
not nice saying people with panic attacks have mental illness nothing like it its a panic disorder we have so i hope were all not getting labeled with the name mental illness [but there is people out there with mental illness which is nothing like panic dissorder thank you bernadette

pauline
21-03-07, 18:26
Just my 2 pence worth here but i do class myself as haveing a mental Illness and i don't care who know's. Anything that comes from the mind is a mental illness and anxiety certainly is that.

I'm 45 female and i feel that i have always had anxiety from since i was a small child. But it got out of control when i had a phyical illness 20 years ago. I had upset tum all the time so was frightend to leave the house incase i needed the lou. I then started haveing the missed heart beats which made me think i was going to die any minute. But still here 20 years later. Its only been the last 6 months that i have got so much better long may it last. Pm me if you want to know anymore.

Pauline

mirry
21-03-07, 18:33
Hey people, if you want to discuss the term Mental Illness in more detail, then there is a post on the misscellaneous board.

Nice to keep this post open to help Jadeys studys.

kazzie
21-03-07, 20:57
Have pmd u the whole miserable tale jade lol

kaz x

yorkylover
21-03-07, 23:11
Hi Jadey.Im 40 I have suffered from depression since my 20's.I had my first panic attack about 15 years ago when I started to take an antidepressant.It made me feel a bit strange and I had my first attack.I also suffer from anxiety which Iv had since I was very young but didnt realise what all the symptoms were until recently.Pm me if you want anymore info.:)

ailsajayne26
23-03-07, 15:43
Hi, I'm 26, Have been 'diagnosed' with anxiety since august, feeling the anxiety symptoms for a bout a year and a half. However I have always been a worrier... always ready to jump to the worst conclusion, easily worried that people don't like me (esp with boyfriends!) Before now I have had two periods of anxiety (not that I knew that then!) one when I was about thirteen, start of secondary school, lasted about a year ish properly.. with other wierd stuff until I was 15, then again for about a year whilst finishing my A'levels / starting uni... all three times have been connected to feeling lonely or really unsettled... think its cos I've always had a brilliantly close family so I can't cope with being on my own!!! Anyway according to my mum I was always 'neurotic' (Her words not mine!) easily panicked and upset, for no reason, she was a settled new mum, I was never abandoned or left with unfamiliar people!! I thinks its just me!! Genetic maybe!!

Hope some of this helps!! Good luck with the course work, If I can be any further help let me know!

(Would have PM'd u this but being dense couldn't work out how )

kelbob
23-03-07, 16:15
I PM'd you but if you want any more info just say. :)

Good Luck with the project. :)

xxxkelxx :flowers:

Rain
23-03-07, 17:46
I was really shocked to read this statement on this thread:

Quote: I personally find the term mental illness an insult, mainly because anxiety and panic attacks are emotional illnesses and most the people on this site are very clever people. Why they term it mental Illness I dont know ?

Having a mental illness and being 'very very clever' are not mutually exclusive.