PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - should I stay or should I go?

bvine1
24-07-16, 21:10
So, I've struggled with anxiety and depression most of my life. A few years ago I developed panic disorder with agoraphobia. Eventually, I overcame it with the help of therapy and Zoloft. I moved somewhere new, got a new job, started school, and was basically thriving. This year, however, has beaten me down. I've suffered a lot of loss, and I've been dealing with a bacterial infection for the past month (waiting on lab results that might clarify what it is). My parents have been here for the past few weeks helping me out.

My dad left this morning, and I feel totally incapacitated. Over the past few days, my anxiety has gotten extremely intense. Can't eat, losing weight, feel overall very lethargic yet with a pounding heart, dry heaving every morning, crying all the time. (Hard to say how much of the GI symptoms are anxiety-induced and how much is from the infection.) I kind of feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown. I know that's not a medical term or anything. Just feel paralyzed by fear.

I had started to see a therapist over the past few weeks, and I'm waiting to get back on SSRI's until I recover from my infection so as not to muddle up my recovery with side effects.

Right now I'm filled with dread at the thought of going to work tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out what would be best for me right now. I'm exhausted with life.

I feel like I know what I "should" be doing - challenging my irrational thoughts, keeping busy, meditating, going about my normal routine, etc. But a large part of me also feels like I should take a leave of absence from work and go home for a little while where I have more support. Not to sit there and ruminate, but to have some help while I recover with some intensive therapy and titrating back on my meds. I have basically no one where I live.

I know I shouldn't always run to mommy and daddy. And I feel guilty and ashamed about the prospect of going home. At the same time, I'm at a point where I'm considering hospitalizing myself, and I just don't know what to do.

tl;dr Feeling incapacitated by anxiety and depression after a rough year, and dealing with illness. Should I try to tough it out where I live, alone, and continue going to work, or take a leave of absence and go home for a little while to have more support while I get help?

eeyorelover
24-07-16, 22:05
First off I'm sending you big hugs and tons of positive thoughts your way!
I know exactly how you are feeling!! I was once housebound and came back from it. Thrived actually! Had a job I liked and except for the occasional blip of anxiety (no real panic episodes) I was doing great. And then....this year sucks!!!
I have a thyroid disorder that I'm trying to get in check and I'm just tired all the time and can't eat much due to thyroid growths. I have had full blown panic a lot lately and even been to the hospital for it. That was fun since I found out I had a heart attack sometime in the past. Oh and my Grandma died in May. :(
It all sounds shitty I know and I'm not saying this to be a Debbie Downer cuz I'm not! I will make it thru this and so will you! We are stronger than we know!! :)

Someone said to me a couple months ago that I don't have to always be the strong one! I don't have to smile when I don't feel like it or say I'm fine when I'm not!
So I have given myself permission to ask for help and also to take the break I need when I need it. I sleep when I'm tired! I cry when I'm sad! I sit in silence and center myself when my mind takes over and I feel overwhelmed! There is no shame in it. The shameful thing is me feeling for so many years that I needed to put on this mask to make everyone think I was ok when I wasn't!
Don't feel ashamed or defeated if you need to go home and regroup! That's not weakness! That's self preservation!
Do what you need to do to become the best and most healthy you :)

And just know that there are loads of people here who have been where you are right now and will support you!
xxx