PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholism

Dan Wales
25-07-16, 00:03
I am a recovered alcoholic I haven't touched a drop of alcohol for six years, but lately I am so stressed I am finding it hard not to pick up a bottle and drink until I pass out out and forget my troubles I know it's not the answer but I can't cope much more.

dale12345
25-07-16, 00:20
Never had the addiction myself , but I've lived with alcoholics. Is it from anxiety and stress that makes you want to drink . You have any support seeing a therapist . Hope you feel bette,just remember one day at a time. Congrats on your six years , that's amazing .

Noivous
25-07-16, 00:31
It's pouring gas on a fire. That's the best way to describe it. If you want to increase your anxiety drinking will surely help. But you know that. Do whatever it takes not to pick up. AA. Therapy. Exercise. Talk to a friend or family member. Come here...You are the only one that can control it.

N.

misslove
25-07-16, 04:00
I am not an alcoholic myself but my husband is. He has struggled with it for as long as I have known him. He went to AA and found his higher power and he has been doing great. I understand how hard not drinking can be and you need to do whatever you need to do to keep yourself sober. A good sponsor is a great start. A family member would be a great help if they can be understand and supportive. Remember what made you quit the booze in the beginning and all the reasons you have stuck with it the past 6 years. You can keep with it. This is just a little blip. Keep breathing!

MyNameIsTerry
25-07-16, 04:43
Dan,

6 years is a massive achievement and you should be proud.

You've had a tough year and losing your mum must have brought so many intense emotions that it's a miracle you've not relapsed already. Why do you think you didn't?

Find that power again and use it. There's no shame in admitting temptation, it's what you do from here that counts. Going to a group could be a helpful way to express some of this.