PDA

View Full Version : Rusty staple

blackbroom
25-07-16, 15:01
Aaagh. I've been having obsessive thoughts about tetanus lately.

Anyway, I bought a thicker pair of gardening gloves from a £1 shop so I'd worry less about tetanus in the garden, but when I tried to take them out of the packaging, I found they were held together, not with a plastic tag or thread, but with a rusty staple that had rusted to the gloves so I couldn't take them apart and because I'd pulled the cardboard off, the jagged edges of the rusty staplewere now sticking out.

I folded the rubber protective bit of the gloves over the jagged edges, held it together with rubber bands and put it in the bin, but I can't stop thinking that maybe I accidentally punctured myself with the rusty staple without realising it or that I or the binmen will puncture ourselves with it through the bin bag and get tetanus (doesn't help that I read recently that 30% of people who develop tetanus do so from an injury they didn't even notice).

Logically I know that (a) I am vaccinated (b) the binmen will be vaccinated - they'd check that sort of thing when they employed them! (c) about 6 people a year in the UK get tetanus and most of them survive - that's about 45 fewer than win the lottery! (d) I almost certainly didn't/won't puncture myself, anyway. But you know how OCD/anxiety brain doesn't listen to logical brain.