PDA

View Full Version : Worried I have Asthma even though I already got tested!

in-love-but-im-lazy
27-07-16, 01:31
Hi there, I have this fear that's plagued me on and off for the past few months and I need to put it to rest now. Some input would be appreciated.

Several months ago I began feeling short of breath. This would happen a lot at school - it seemed triggered by heat or by minimal exercise (for example, walking up a flight of stairs would cause me to feel short of breath for a long time afterwards). I doubt this is an "out of shape" thing. I exercise regularly and have a healthy BMI.

I coughed a lot during this time too, and over the next few weeks I went to Urgent Care twice and eventually took a test at my Doctor's - I did not have asthma. My doctor told me that I had an upper respiratory infection and I was treated accordingly.

The fear went away as the school year ended, but unfortunately it has returned. The past few days I have felt very out of breath. This morning, I was singing and I felt out of breath for a long time after. I'm worried that I have asthma even though I was already tested three months ago!! Please tell me this is a normal symptom, or that there's a less severe reason for it than asthma!

DrG00GLE
27-07-16, 01:43
Sounds like your own anxiety. If you believe a fear it can become reality and your body can make yourself feel out of breath. Also it's pretty normal to feel out of breath at times. Pretty sure you're fine

in-love-but-im-lazy
27-07-16, 02:10
Thank you. I'm trying to tell myself that it's just an anxiety symptom...your words help!

JosieLouise
27-07-16, 12:38
Anxiety makes me extremely aware of my breathing, and quite a lot of the time, as soon as I am distracted by something else (like going to work), my breathing returns to normal.

I've had asthma since I was about 10 and it's hardly affected my life at all with the right medicines. So even if you did have it, it's by no means the end of the world. However let me reassure you that if you were an asthmatic you most likely wouldn't be able to catch your breath by yourself. You would need an inhaler to do that for you. You would also probably be able to identify more specific triggers like hard exercise, pollen or illness.