PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts about everything

lg123
27-07-16, 11:24
My Intrusive thoughts started with not being able to understand the words people say (not hear but understand with my brain). This was bad enough but now they are spreading to everything- well subconscious stuff really. Will I be able to walk, read, write etc. I'm used to having one thought at a time and then the anxiety moves onto something else, but I'm not used to them constantly attaching to new things. I'm trying to challenge them through CBT and I've recently started taking citalopram- which I'm wondering if it is actually making things worse as when I took it four years ago I had my first ever Intrusive thoughts. I'd never had them before and I was 27 years old... can anyone help please?

smoothiefun
27-07-16, 21:27
Hey :) i get intrusive thoughts and all i can think is they attach to our worst worries or worries at that time and the more we try and argue with them or analyse them the worse they get so ww have to learn to ignore and accept them as not our true mind so they lessen. Easiersaid than done i know. I have tried citralopam but didn't find it helped either way and the doc suggested another but i have never bothered but my ocd thoughts are now at there worst so i can't really advise ither than my doc suggested another med was better for ocd. Hopefully CBT can help as that should be better than meds as it tackles your thoughts although i was too scared to try the cbt exposure therapy. Good luck and keep trying the cbt and educating yourself about this condition :)

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Hey :) i get intrusive thoughts and all i can think is they attach to our worst worries or worries at that time and the more we try and argue with them or analyse them the worse they get so ww have to learn to ignore and accept them as not our true mind so they lessen. Easiersaid than done i know. I have tried citralopam but didn't find it helped either way and the doc suggested another but i have never bothered but my ocd thoughts are now at there worst so i can't really advise ither than my doc suggested another med was better for ocd. Hopefully CBT can help as that should be better than meds as it tackles your thoughts although i was too scared to try the cbt exposure therapy. Good luck and keep trying the cbt and educating yourself about this condition :)

LiveAboveIt
11-08-16, 19:06
Citalopram both caused and made my OCD intrusive thoughts worse, as well as causing severe anxiety for me. It isn't for everyone and meds affect everyone very differently. I suggest speaking to your doctor about your concerns. I too had my first ever intrusive thoughts whilst taking Citalopram.