PDA

View Full Version : Recreational drugs and alcohol

ian1982
28-07-16, 15:01
Does anyone here use either of these to help with their anxiety, if so do you find it helps relieve your symptoms?

I myself smoke skunk of an evening and I find it helps with the anxiety and depression but I've been doing it for so long now that I'm dependant on it like I am with anti depressants.

Have any of you successfully quit these substances? I've tried several times but get severe withdrawal symptoms so any advice on giving up would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

tommackent88
30-07-16, 20:16
Hi Ian
Hope you are doing well.
[Firstly for the record I don't condone either of the above, it will certainly be hindering your recovery]
I do drink alcohol in moderation but on the few occasions when I've 'overdone it' it really causes me problems. Not in a hangover way but anxiety skyrockets the following day and I feel it for at least 2/3 days afterwards. It's just not worth it.
If you can I'd really suggest cutting this down because it will without doubt be holding you back.
As you mentioned before you are on some meds but the weed/booze will almost be making these ineffective.
If you want to cut down then no doubt you will have people on here that can support you, me included.
T

Mojo61
30-07-16, 20:58
Oh god no, I haven't touched alcohol for 10 years and I certainly wouldn't take any mind altering substances on top of psych meds, that's Russian Roulette in my view.