PDA

View Full Version : What dosage are you on?

spiral
28-07-16, 16:58
Hi,

I just wondered what dosage people are on. Specifically people who have been taking it for a while and are finding it is working, not people just starting out (although I would love to hear your thoughts in a reply too just not in the poll).

I have just gone back on Citalopram and am currently up to 20mg. I have taken 20mg, 30mg and 40mg over different periods of time and I can't really remember if 30/40 was actually any more effective than 20.

I am also wondering is body weight makes any difference to required dose.

Thanks

AthenaFaeyrn
28-07-16, 17:05
I don't know if body weight makes a difference to required dose but currently I'm on 20mg daily and have been for about 3 weeks now. I started off on 20mg a day because I was on citalopram before and it worked for me then so my dr put me back on it. I'm hoping t increase it back to 40mg.

Just like the first time, I can't "feel" it working, (though I CAN feel the side-effects, so it must be doing something!), progress on cit just sort of happened slowly over time for me.

Mojo61
28-07-16, 17:37
I've been on 20mg for almost 4 weeks now after 12 weeks on 10mg. Still waiting for it to "work" and wondering if it ever will. During the first week or so I didn't have any side effects and thought I'd struck lucky, but during week 3 they started with a vengeance and they haven't let up yet; jittery, weird racing thoughts, feel sick, no appetite, can't sleep.

I feel ready to chuck in the towel with all this shit - I've just about had enough now.

spiral
28-07-16, 20:49
Sorry that you are still feeling crappy Mojo. I have been on citalopram a couple of times before and it was really good. I can't remember how long it took to work for me (I'm trying to find my diary from then but haven't located it yet).

Been back on it for just over two weeks and still feel quite crappy, not as crappy as earlier in the week though so I think it is starting to have a positive effect. Still having some side-effects at the moment but I know they will pass and they are bearable.

I think they say up to 6 weeks for a new dosage to take effect so if you still feel like this in a couple of weeks it might be worth asking the doctor to try a different antidepressant.

Selkie
28-07-16, 21:03
I'm on 40mg.
I've taken it on and off over the last 6 years. When I restarted it about 3 years ago, I initially stayed on 20mg.
Similar to you, I couldn't remember if a higher dose of 40mg made me feel better.
But when I had a bad patch a while ago, I increased it up to 40mg and it definitely helped.

Also sorry to hear you're still feeling rubbish, Mojo61.

Mojo61
28-07-16, 22:52
Thank you. I haven't given up hope yet, I desperately want to get better.

beatroon
29-07-16, 12:22
So this is interesting - looks like most people are on either 20mg or 40mg? I'm on 40mg and honestly can say that being on 30mg didn't really do anything for me that felt different to 20mg.

spiral
29-07-16, 15:36
I have been looking through my diary and it seems I didn't feel any different on 40mg rather than 30mg but did feel better on either of these than 20mg.

I think 40mg gave me more headaches than 20mg but I am not 100% sure on that. I can't remember about where headaches on 30mg fall on the scale...

I wonder if people being either on 20mg or 40mg might be due to it being more cost effective as there is no 30mg tablet.

Still wondering about body size and optimum dose, I am fairly small (57kg) and wonder if that would make 30mg an equivalent dose to 40mg for a more averagely sized person...

Suziewuzie
29-07-16, 17:38
10mg almost 6 months x

pollynewsome
30-07-16, 12:26
I started on 10mg and then increased to 20mg for 14 weeks. Went to docs 9 days ago and she wanted to increase me to 40mg. I said I would prefer to just go 30mg first. She said 40mg was where you most likely to improve but if you wanna do 30mg that's fine. I start 30mg tomoz just been trying 25mg to see how I felt . Last week I was away and had no anxiety at all. Come back home today and riddled. Grrrrr