PDA

View Full Version : Self help groups for depression?

Piscian Daydreamer
20-03-07, 19:25
Do they exist? You know, where u walk in (like alcoholics anonymous) and sity in a circle talking about your depression with other people?

I would really love to talk to some other people face to face in the same boat.
I feel so alone.

nomorepanic
20-03-07, 19:36
Contact No Panic as they have a list of self-help groups.

www.nopanic.org.uk

Ellen70
23-03-07, 06:54
Do they exist? You know, where u walk in (like alcoholics anonymous) and sity in a circle talking about your depression with other people?

I would really love to talk to some other people face to face in the same boat.
I feel so alone.

There is a self help group for depression called 'Aware' in Ireland but I am not sure if it exists in the UK, it probably does.
Otherwishe 'Grow' is a very good self help group for people with all kinds of mental health problems and it is an International Organiziation.
Also check out the 'MIND' Uk website as they are probably the biggest depression organisation in the uk and are sure to provide with info regarding support groups.

Take care for now :hugs:

jo61
23-03-07, 07:31
It's worth contacting Depression Alliance and they'll let you know where your nearest group is.

cece
22-04-07, 18:17
They do here in the states. Try and find one that features cognitive training. It has helped me enormously and I recommend the tea form exercise in the book by sam obitz for thought countering. I still do them all the time. When you learn to help yourself it also builds your self-esteem because you no longer need others to make you feel better.