PDA

View Full Version : Tetanus?

Farron
28-07-16, 22:32
Sorry if this isn't the right place to be posting this.

Today I accidentally cut my arm. There was no rust, and it's light scratches (like cat scratches).

However for some reason I'm panicking and thinking I'm going to get tetanus. I cleaned the scratches with alcohol, put neosporin on it and bandaged it, but I'm still stressed and afraid I'm going to get muscle spasms any minute. My last tetanus shot was about 7 years ago.

Sorry, I just don't know what else to say. I don't really want to talk to my friends or family about it because I feel embarrassed. :unsure:

blackbroom
28-07-16, 22:54
I sympathise, because I've been having tetanus obsessions lately.

If you were vaccinated 7 years ago, you will be immune. The latest research suggests that most people still have good immunity THIRTY YEARS after their last booster http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/tetanus-diphtheria-boost-needed/2016/03/25/id/720887/

You are much more likely to get tetanus from a puncture wound or deep wound than a surface scratch, anyway, especially if you cleaned it straight afterwards.

Tetanus is very, very rare in developed countries and almost all cases are people who have never been vaccinated or intravenous drug users.

misslove
29-07-16, 05:01
You'll be fine. There's a ton of posts about tetanus on here if you search for them