PDA

View Full Version : lopressor or toprol?

alli
21-10-03, 18:00
My doctor put me on this medication yesterday. He said Beta Blockers can sometimes help keep the adrenaline rush down. I have been on Paxil for 3 1/2 years and it has worked great until recently.

Has anyone had experience with a beta blocker and what happened while you were on it?

Meg
21-10-03, 19:32
Dear Alli,

Betablockers are usually used at full dose to reduce blood pressure . For anxiety amd panic we get a lower dose which slows down your heart rate sufficient to reduce the racing heart leading to shortness of breath spiralling into a panic state fuelled by the fear of what might be happening to you.

It may also lower your blood pressure a bit which may make you feel lightheaded/ dizzy. It's just doing what it says on the tin !! If you are seriously dizzy go back and review with GP , if it's only a bit and it's helping you anxiety wise then persevere. These should kick in immediately.

Not for asthmatics.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...